Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Virginia Shooting live on TV

It protects there civil liberties of being able to defending themselves from the government, so they say!!

A percentage of the population believe this, many don't. Maybe in Tennessee the majority do but having had a civil war 150 years ago, you might expect that.

Remember that the older generation from the South will probably have had grandparents who were born near to those times. I used to spend a lot of time in South Carolina, a salesman who worked for me, a true Southern gentleman, who still referred to Northerners as Yankees. He spoke bitterly of General Sherman, it was like he lived it.

He was probably born in the 1930's and his parents at the turn of the century which was only 35 years after the end of the war, couple that with aftermath and degradation of the South by the North would have placed those hardships heavily on his grandparents. Some say recovery in the South didn't come into being until WW2. Now do you see where it comes from?

Yeah, im British born and bread but my wife is American.

And for your first point... Now after living here for so long , I see it as a mistake to think America is similar to the UK in a lot of ways. Americans ( in my opinion)think and act very differently to British.

And as a general point about the other countries you mentioned and the U.S, not specifically about guns... Its so much easier to see how they do something in another country( that speaks a different language, maybe looks a little different) that makes no sense, shrug your shoulders and subconsciously conclude that , well they are foreign and thats their culture Hope their happy kind of thing. Yet the U.S is not afforded that same thought process, presumably because we speak the same language and dress somewhat similar. Granted, the cultural differences are not as broad as, say the U.K and Saudi Arabia, but it really is a different mindset over here and it was quite a culture shock when i moved here..

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying that the countries are actually similar, just that many perceive it being that way. Like you said, the fact that we both speak English, dress similar etc. helps, also there are a lot of American TV shows and films exported that let people feel 'closer' to America than most other countries.

Archived