Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Virginia Shooting live on TV

whats worse is if you check their twitter feed, they were celebrating the cameraman's fiance's last day on the job. she worked in the gantry so watched the whole thing live. 

the journalists boyfriend was asleep at the time, she kissed him goodbye when she left in the morning and he is then woken later by the station saying shes been shot. 

Oh sh1t...I misinterpreted who whole relationship thing. I though the reporter and the cameraman were together. As weird as it sounds, I was thinking 'at least they both went together', but now the whole thing's drastically affected 2 more people :( Sad stuff.

When events like this happens its always 'gun control blah blah' with nothing ever happening apart from odd bit of lip service. Then we get another shooting and we repeat the same cycle over and over.

So surely now the focus should be why these events keep occuring at a regular level. In most cases, we hear comments like the killer was 'troubled' or was unstable, etc. but was there ever anything reported to the authorities, any help for that person? Maybe people/firms should be obliged to report instances such as these to the authorities rather than deal with these simply internally or not at all if it no longer becomes their problem. After all, parties in finance/banking are obliged to do so for suspicious banking activity, surely the above is potentially much more detrimental to society?

I'm not saying this solves the problem enitrely but surely something must be done to stop this happening again.

When events like this happens its always 'gun control blah blah' with nothing ever happening apart from odd bit of lip service. Then we get another shooting and we repeat the same cycle over and over.

So surely now the focus should be why these events keep occuring at a regular level. In most cases, we hear comments like the killer was 'troubled' or was unstable, etc. but was there ever anything reported to the authorities, any help for that person? Maybe people/firms should be obliged to report instances such as these to the authorities rather than deal with these simply internally or not at all if it no longer becomes their problem. After all, parties in finance/banking are obliged to do so for suspicious banking activity, surely the above is potentially much more detrimental to society?

I'm not saying this solves the problem enitrely but surely something must be done to stop this happening again.

in america they believe in their "second amendment." a lot of democrats (including obama) would like more gun control but a lot of the red states (jumping to mind, texas) will never go for it. the NRA were once on record as saying that if there was armed guards at every school gate, there would be less school shootings and also republicans coming out today saying that all journalists should be armed. their solution to solving more gun crime is more guns. until america gets a democratic landslide, they will never repeal the 2nd amendment. 

I kind of wished he had survivied his own shooting.

Would of been great for him to not only face justice and the family of those he had killed, but to be left in a wheelchair for the rest of his life ( as would of been the likely outcome...)

in america they believe in their "second amendment." a lot of democrats (including obama) would like more gun control but a lot of the red states (jumping to mind, texas) will never go for it. the NRA were once on record as saying that if there was armed guards at every school gate, there would be less school shootings and also republicans coming out today saying that all journalists should be armed. their solution to solving more gun crime is more guns. until america gets a democratic landslide, they will never repeal the 2nd amendment. 

The process of amending the constitution requires so much support that it is unlikely to ever happen. It takes 2/3 of House and Senate to even propose an amendment, and 3/4 of the states to approve. Since a majority of the population lives in urban areas, a small minority living in smaller states have disproportionate power to reject such an amendment. So you would need over 50% approval in 38/50 states.

I'd have a read of this Rambo.http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_Gun_Control.htm

There's no will to abolish guns by the Democratic Party, just regulate them, well we know how that works.

I'd have a read of this Rambo.http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_Gun_Control.htm

There's no will to abolish guns by the Democratic Party, just regulate them, well we know how that works.

Guns aint strictly abolished in this country per se. they are regulated. i know the democrats are not going to say "guns are banned end of story" but they can be stricter. Everyone knows that whose been to america and been in a wall mart and seen the gun counter. any american can get hold of a gun with a quick background check. 

The process of amending the constitution requires so much support that it is unlikely to ever happen. It takes 2/3 of House and Senate to even propose an amendment, and 3/4 of the states to approve. Since a majority of the population lives in urban areas, a small minority living in smaller states have disproportionate power to reject such an amendment. So you would need over 50% approval in 38/50 states.

this was my point. with a two party system and them both claiming to be opposite sides of the coin on this matter, if i recall the last amendment to be repealed was  the 21st amendment (the prohibition act?) my american history is sketchy at best. 

There are 100s of millions of guns in circulation in America, and the majority of their owners won't want to hand them over. You couldn't get rid of guns in America even if you wanted to.

Guns aint strictly abolished in this country per se. they are regulated. i know the democrats are not going to say "guns are banned end of story" but they can be stricter. Everyone knows that whose been to america and been in a wall mart and seen the gun counter. any american can get hold of a gun with a quick background check. 

When you said "Until America gets a Democratic landslide, they will never repeal the 2nd amendment. " I foolishly assumed you meant the Democrats would repeal the 2nd Amendment if they were in complete control.

When you said "Until America gets a Democratic landslide, they will never repeal the 2nd amendment. " I foolishly assumed you meant the Democrats would repeal the 2nd Amendment if they were in complete control.

to get stricter gun control they would have to repeal the 2nd amendment other wise the supreme court would be all over that one saying "how is it a right if not everyone can bear arms"

Must admit, i do like how there are so many experts on american culture in this thread... I used to be the same.  A quick 2 week holiday  ( and alot of shock tactic news articles) means people know the ins and outs of American Culture.

Like i said, i was the same until i moved here to live permanently 5 years ago...

Must admit, i do like how there are so many experts on american culture in this thread... I used to be the same.  A quick 2 week holiday  ( and alot of shock tactic news articles) means people know the ins and outs of American Culture.

Like i said, i was the same until i moved here to live permanently 5 years ago...

This is true. It's annoying when people jump to conclusions about a place or people without having experienced it first hand. But, in your opinion, would it be fair to say guns are seen as a 'solution' in the US more than in other countries? I've heard this from American friends and statistics seem to bare it out.

Must admit, i do like how there are so many experts on american culture in this thread... I used to be the same. A quick 2 week holiday ( and alot of shock tactic news articles) means people know the ins and outs of American Culture.

Do you own a gun MPH?

I went to visit the girlfriends family in May, they live in St George Utah and I was shocked to how many of their neighbours owned guns.

to get stricter gun control they would have to repeal the 2nd amendment other wise the supreme court would be all over that one saying "how is it a right if not everyone can bear arms"

What are you talking about? The Brady Bill didn't repeal the Second Amendment nor did any State legislation. As to the Supreme Court remark, if Congress decides to repeal the Second Amendment and it passes with the required number of votes the Court can't change that.

Must admit, i do like how there are so many experts on american culture in this thread... I used to be the same. A quick 2 week holiday ( and alot of shock tactic news articles) means people know the ins and outs of American Culture.

I work in the US, 4 months a year, and have been doing so for the last 4 years, in Tennessee

Do you own a gun MPH?

I went to visit the girlfriends family in May, they live in St George Utah and I was shocked to how many of their neighbours owned guns.

I own a rifle for hunting and a shot gun for home defense. I do not keep them loaded and keep the ammo  in a separate, locked up container with only me and my wife knowing the whereabouts of the ammo. and separately hidden key. We also own a lockable security coded  walk-in gun safe  and have, at times, looked after other peoples guns at their request or at the request of their spouse. Not exactly for mental health reasons but say if someone has lost their Job, or their house, or a marriage break up.

I also have personally called the police to inform them of a Friend who i felt was going through a stage of mental instability and owned a gun ( he was making erratic decisions possibly due to a mixture of reasons as mentioned above).

I feel that gun ownership requires people to be acting responsibly not just on a personal level but also in society in general.

I personally have chosen, at this stage, to not own a hand gun, but feel people should have a right to make that choice. My wife has chosen to own one. Due to a very personally tragic experience, she feels more vulnerable than me.

I own a rifle for hunting and a shot gun for home defence.

I personally have chosen, at this stage, to not own a hand gun, but feel people should have a right to make that choice. My wife has chosen to own one.

Does that mean she's allowed to carry it around with her when out in public?

Sorry for the questions I don't know much about gun laws in the U.S

It depends on the state you live in. In order to carry a pistol in public you need a concealed carry license which requires background checks and mandatory training hours. The laws also prohibit you from carrying a pistol in certain areas like schools and hospitals. Some states are more lax about it than others. 

Many people own pistols and choose not to apply for the license, they just keep the weapon at home for defense and take it to the range for practice/sport. 

Yes. Anyone who has had a back ground check can publicly display an unloaded handgun. Meaning like in a side holster. you can conceal it ( put it in an inside jacket pocket , or in a handbag or a holster under your jacket only after completing a safety course known as a concealed carry class)

Looks somewhat photoshopped on The Sun tbh. Such an over the top newspaper. About as much class as Katie Price in a strip club.

I've seen the video and it did look odd at the time.

Weirdly, she just carred on running. It all seemed very weird and i'm sure conspiracy nuts have had a field day on it.

I never felt the need to own a gun when living in Baltimore City. If you have a gun, it makes you much more likely to die of a shooting.

I lived in Baltimore 6/7 years, my wife was in the US for about 15 years. We will move back and won't get guns.

Glad you feel safe! :)

With a hand gun, of course, it also increases your chance of surviving if shot at first...

I've seen the video and it did look odd at the time.

Weirdly, she just carred on running. It all seemed very weird and i'm sure conspiracy nuts have had a field day on it.

Adrenaline will of kicked in. Fight or flight. its not always with a hand gun that someone will just drop to the floor

Glad you feel safe! :)

I did! But we had a alarm system and a small dog. Never once were we a victim of crime.

I've always thought, if I had a gun I'd have to use it, and be expert at it. Because if a thief enters your house, they would have to assume you had a gun and therefore they would have one. So, then you'd have to shoot first.

And that is where the problem lies, the thief would have to think the same thing. Therefore both will shoot anything they see. Whether it is friendly of foe.

It's a dangerous game that has resulted in thousands of family members being killed.

The fact is that the majority of gun murders do not make the news. Why? Because they are often gang on gang, minority on minority crimes. So there is little incentive for everyday Americans to get rid of guns. And every incentive for the gun lobbies to perpetuate the fear that a gun can protect you from druggies. It may, but as I said, owning a gun makes you much more likely to die from a gun shot.

Archived