Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shep

Walkers Atmosphere

I miss Filbert Street, I miss the away fans pointing at the roof of the East stand and laughing, but most of all i miss the atmosphere we used to create in the kop Pen 3 and 2 when standing and Pen 1 when the seats went in.

The atmosphere just escapes from the very open Walkers"build your stadium kit" Bowl! We have to start making this place a stadium that makes some noise, how?

The only people who used to sing at Filbert Street were the people in the kop plus a few in the East Stand, we need a main home end L1 vs the Kop

Get everone who wants to create an atmosphere to sit together, the best way to do this IMO is move the kop to where the family end is (next to the away fans) this would be better for people in the family end cos there kids wont have to hear those nasty away fans swearing!

Make the Kop UNRESEARVED seating so people can move seats (so people who sing can sit together)

I sit or try to stand in L1 but the Stalin esq stewards tell everyone to "sit down snd shut up" these stewards help to ruin the atmosphere aswell.

The club wont change the policy due to Safety certificates leading to reduced capacity, but it would work instead of playing music!! we will need to play chants soon if things dont improve!

Whenever you went to a game you had a great laugh and banter but you cant even smoke now...very middle class!

:mad:

shep - 100% agree with all your points there. i for one am put off even attending home games these days as it simply isnt the same. SK1 was our home. Old school football ground with a great atmosphere. away fans and players never enjoyed coming there. it used to be a fun day, singing, banter and general terrace humour - ALL of which is no lost and unfortunately a distant memory. it will never be the same again unfortunately. there is no sense of togetherness in the new ground, chances are you ll be sat next to a grumpy old fart. this was never the case in the kop, everyone stood in there for a reason- atmosphere.

when the kop got going it felt like there was no where else you'd rather be!!!!! electric. anyone really think this can EVER be recaptured??? i dont

i for one wished we had never moved.

RIP South Stand Lower

I agree with Shep thats a good idea moving the kop

It's been discussed, but the costs of stewarding/policing would rise as a result of swapping the Kop with the Family Stand.

So don't pin your hopes on it.

I sit or try to stand in L1 but the Stalin esq stewards tell everyone to "sit down snd shut up" these stewards help to ruin the atmosphere aswell.

To look at it from a different perspective, the stewards would probably say, "how do you expect us to police the away fans effectively when we can't get our own supporters to do as they're told.

Football has a reputation for troublemakers, whether justified or not, and until that perception is changed then fans will be treated as scum.

I miss Filbert Street, I miss the away fans pointing at the roof of the East stand and laughing, but most of all i miss the atmosphere we used to create in the kop Pen 3 and 2 when standing and Pen 1 when the seats went in.

The atmosphere just escapes from the very open Walkers"build your stadium kit" Bowl! We have to start making this place a stadium that makes some noise, how?

The only people who used to sing at Filbert Street were the people in the kop plus a few in the East Stand, we need a main home end L1 vs the Kop

Get everone who wants to create an atmosphere to sit together, the best way to do this IMO is move the kop to where the family end is (next to the away fans) this would be better for people in the family end cos there kids wont have to hear those nasty away fans swearing!

Make the Kop UNRESEARVED seating so people can move seats (so people who sing can sit together)

The club wont change the policy due to Safety certificates leading to reduced capacity, but it would work instead of playing music!! we will need to play chants soon if things dont improve!

Whenever you went to a game you had a great laugh and banter but you cant even smoke now...very middle class!

:mad:

Well said Shep this season my mate and i (we live in derby) have not yet been to a home match we are going away instead(a bit of a protest!) and as things stand have no intention to either no singing no atmos had more fights with the misserable gits we sit next to than traveling fans..... ooh how we miss the old east stand we would laugh swear sing and cry all toghether (last game)we even miss the smelly old toilets and the rain drops falling on us heads

It needs someone from the club to stand infront of the kop on match days, and look at all the different pockets of people singing. You have several areas, and not one massive area. When the ground moved to over the road, the kop got different people sitting in it. All the singers got seperated around because it was like a free for all on your new season ticket. My partner and i are in the kop, we sing, chant and swear(lol). But their are loads and loads of people around us who sit their quiet just watching the game. It needs someone at the club to offer these people a different section of the ground, and then to offer all the different pockets of singers a massive area to be to create the atmosphere for the players. Until someone has the balls at the club to move people around, you will never get an atmosphere(fact). I have spoken to several acoustic tradesmen in the know, and their opions are that theses new kit grounds, which dont have tiers for seating(one above the other) are alot harder to hold the atmoshere. The angle the club put on it is that they are designed to throw the sound onto the pitch, and not around the stadium. These are only my views from being in the kop every game, and im think of giving it all up next year, cause we need the atmosphere as much as the players need it.....

The best atmosphere at any match I've been to in recent years - apart from the play off finals - was surprisingly at FC Zurich. And this was at a match with a crowd of less than 6,000, and in a country known for it's fairly sedate population. The FCZ fans sang throughout the game (and I mean throughout, there was not one break in the singing) and hardly repeated a song.

All of the noise came from one corner of the ground. A standing area that appears to have been given over to the fans to run themselves and from memory was called The Curve. It was decorated with slogans painted by the fans, and they also had their own club house and non official merchandising on sale inside the ground.

Two things come to mind as being responsible for the fact that such a great atmosphere existed. Firstly, and I know this comes up regularly, fans were able to stand. Secondly, and the point of my post, FCZ seem to have embraced the fans as part of the club, to the extent that they have to all intents and purposes given over part of the ground to them. The result seemed to be a genuine feeling of belonging and community. The area of the ground was full well before kick off, and few rushed away afterwards, choosing to stop for a beer. And this was despite a dire performance and a home defeat, which we're all well accustomed to at the Walkers.

Sadly I could never see anything like this happening at Leicester where I'm sure the fans are treated as consumers, and there are probably spreadsheets that have demographic analyses of the crowd which carefully predict the average expected matchday spend.

In the days of standing, in particular in the Kop, that same feeling of being part of the club existed. It's goin to take some radical thinking to get that back. Not just Oasis and Kasabian.

it has been said on this post that there are sections of singers scattered throughout the ground, and its true. i sit at the back of f1 and i sing when a chant gets going, and so do a few around me but others like to keep quite and watch the game which is fair enough but if all us "singers" got together in a section and got it all going (we'd need atleast a 5000 strong section) a few others in the ground would soon convert and know the songs inside out and eventually muster up the courage to scream OH WHEN THE BLUES!!!! putting the KOP near the away fans would be good, or put the away fans near the KOP (the corner nearest the west stand because that seems the emptiest corner) because all the away fans have is the L1'ers because i dont think they would scream "your going home in a f**king ambulance to a family of 4...

my 2 cents

I'm not in favour of 'singing sections' as this concentrates the atmosphere in one part of the ground.

During our first season in the WS the atmosphere, from memory, was infinitely better, mostly because of results. Think back to the 10 minutes or so leading up to the goal against Wolves last season. It can be done.

I think there's an air of expectation at the moment in that the fans expect to be entertained. "We'll go to games when we're entertained" or "We'll sing when we're entertained". A lot of this is probably due to the different type of supporters who go to games these days.

We are still, just about, getting bigger crowds than we had a Filbo for many a year, and it is likely that people don't know the songs. This again has an impact on the lack of noise.

there was recentley a thread with many of the regular songs on them. and there are the easy ones to pick up like CRAIG LEVEINS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY and WHO! when a sub is made or the team sheet is read out. i allways try and sing to get some atmosphere going in the section i sit in, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and slowly fades away. the atmosphere is generally better around the 60th-70th minute i have noticed whether we are winning or losing. i remember against luton 1-0 down and f1 section were having atleast a 15 minute song session. shame we lost that game 2-0. i hope attendances increase because i hate seeing empty seats next to me.

Yep definetely move the kop! also why does the kop and L1 have a rivalry? we r all lcfc fans and to build the best atmosphere we should all sit together. or better yet, sit so that the away fans are surrounded by VOCAL city supporters. but on the negative side, everyone cannot just blame the shape of the stadium for the lack of atmosphere, maybe we are all just being shit supporters. also, can we all try to wear blue at the games, cos when looking round the stadium there isnt many people wearing blue.

Dont Blame the Stewards, they only do what they are told and what they have to do and obey the many laws that are around. If these are not followed the club gets threatened with either closing the section or the club getting fined or the club missing out on future England/International matches. Stewards dont enjoy telling everyone to shut up and sit down !!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

I fully back this petition to move the kop next to the away end however i beleive that its unlikley to happen. What really needs to happen is for the fans to act themselves. For those who believe that an atmousphere will never happen in our new home(however i can understand your view), you must change your attitiudes and act by signing the petition and support the L1 fans in trying to support the club and recreate are once fantastic atmousphere. A few hundered more will make L1 like the old kop at filbert street. I think the club have made there opinions clear and instead an unofficial rout looks as though it will be more productive. A condensed vocal group of supporters next to awayers is what i feel is neccessary to make the stadium better.

Don't agree with that.

Many of the stewards at the Walkers appear to love exploiting their little bit of 'power' telling people to sit down & getting people thrown out for trivial matters.

Trust me mate they don't. They are jus doing what they are being told to do. It would be easier and hassle free if they let people do what they want.

Moan about the stadium and the set up and stewards all you like but the fact is that in general Leicester fans are extremely fickle and also apathetic. That is to say that they are not a pro-active bunch who fire the players up, they react to what is seen on the pitch. If the players show willing, effort and ability, the crowd generally makes 'some' noise, when the players NEED a lift, they very rarely get it. Fickle fickle fickle.

Moan about the stadium and the set up and stewards all you like but the fact is that in general Leicester fans are extremely fickle and also apathetic. That is to say that they are not a pro-active bunch who fire the players up, they react to what is seen on the pitch. If the players show willing, effort and ability, the crowd generally makes 'some' noise, when the players NEED a lift, they very rarely get it. Fickle fickle fickle.

Agreed Wolly

Archived