Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Reserve Report vs Portsmouth

Leicester City 1-3 Portsmouth

Leicester City reserves suffered their first defeat of the season as they were defeated 3-1 by an experienced Portsmouth side, which contained the likes of Matthew Taylor, Kevin Harper, Gary O’Neil and Mark Burchill.

Portsmouth took the lead within just three minutes of the contest. Harper seized upon a poor touch by McGavigan down the right and crossed low for Portsmouth striker Keene to stab home from close range.

McGavigan nearly atoned for his mistake in the 20th minute. His raking drive from a free kick 25 yards out flew just wide of the Portsmouth goal.

Just a few moments later, City nearly equalised from another free kick routine. Butcher quickly took a free kick from 20 yards out which forced the goalkeeper in to a save, with the rebound being blasted in to the side netting by Stearman.

Five minute’s before half time, the equaliser did arrive. Dawson burst his way through midfield and crossed perfectly for Wright to head home from close range.

After the break, Pompey put the game beyond doubt with two spectacular strikes. With 58 minutes gone, Matthew Taylor smashed in a free kick from 25 yards out that gave Pressman no chance.

With the game heading in to the last 20 minutes, Portsmouth wrapped up the win. James Keene wasn’t closed down and he was given time and space from 20 yards out to pick out a shot which hit the inside of the post before trickling in.

Wright had a chance towards the end when he seized upon a defensive mishap, but his effort was scrambled away to safety by the goalkeeper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player ratings: (Out of 10)

Goalkeeper – Pressman = 6

Made a couple of outstanding saves. Couldn’t do anything about the goals, but he was generally solid and organised the defence well.

Right Back – Canero = 6

Good going forward, and dealt with the threat of Matthew Taylor well. Some wasteful passes/crosses when in promising positions though.

Central Defence – Stearman = 8

Another assured performance at the back. Again, his distribution was excellent as be bought out the ball well from the back to initiate attacks. All he needs to do is beef up a bit, and he’ll be in the first team no problem.

Central Defence – Powell = 6

Solid at the back and linked up well with Stearman. Although usually a full back from what I’ve seen of him, he adapted well in the centre, but doesn’t really look a patch on Stearman.

Left Back - Wilcox = 4

Gave the ball away on too many occasions again. Poor crossing and distribution, and struggled to keep up against Kevin Harper down the left side.

Right Wing - Pearmain = 5

Started off well as he looked to take players on and get crosses in. After that, largely anonymous as he displayed an extremely first poor touch while attempting to control the ball.

Central Midfield - Dawson = 9*

The driving influence from midfield again. He has a great engine on him, a box to box player. When he receives the ball, his awareness of where other players are is excellent, which means he can utilise his passing skills to pick out players with ease. Great right footed cross for Wright’s goal. In my opinions, he can make the step up to the first team no problem.

Central Midfield - Butcher = 8

Played in a deep midfield position just in front of the back 4. Passed the ball around very intelligently both short and long to the flanks. Perhaps not the quickest, but he reads the play well and uses the ball tidily to initiate attacks. Good set pieces too.

Left Wing - McGavigan = 5

Left side was a problem with him and Wilcox down there. Doesn’t seem to have the ability to beat his man and put in good crosses.

Striker - Wright = 7

A hard working performance that was capped off with a decent goal. Won a lot in the air and was a constant threat throughout. Didn’t get the best of service as the two flanks players were very poor, but he definitely demonstrated he deserves to be in contention for a first team spot ahead of the likes of Blake and Benjamin.

Striker - Benjamin = 5

Largely ineffective. The usual Trev really. Worked hard, but his poor first touch didn’t help him.

Substitutes:

Striker - O’Grady = 5 (On for Benjamin)

Didn’t get chance to show what he could do. Poor service from the flanks as mentioned earlier didn’t give him or Wright an opportunity to get hold of the ball and run at the defence.

Left Back - Sheehan = 6 (On for McGavigan)

Looked lively at left back and got forward well to support the attack.

Left Wing - Petrescu (On for Wilcox)

Not fair to rate him really as he came on for the last 10 minutes and wasn’t given the ball. Might be due to the fact he was put on the left wing.

how did O'neil look Scow?

16518[/snapback]

He didnt play :rolleyes:

Fantastic report again :thumbup:

If i didnt know myself, i'd say Dawson, Stearman, and Wright are the way to go from reading that ;)

16520[/snapback]

From the one and only time I have seen Stearman (Pepsi Challenge) I thought he was excellent. As Scow said though, he needs to beef up a bit! As for Dawson & Wright, they should be on the bench.

I have a quick comparative question...if you had to pick scowy(or anyone who has seen both play)...would you go for Gudjonnson, or Dawson?

Dawson, he'd improve the midfield loads he's a player who is going to give 100% every game and help out in defence and attack, thats what we need right now.

16531[/snapback]

Knew you'd say that :D

I must admit when I saw him play he looked like an exciting prospect. I would just be worried about him reaching his peak too soon, or getting dogged by injuries that could make him a future Lee Morris...How old is he?

Dawson, he'd improve the midfield loads he's a player who is going to give 100% every game and help out in defence and attack, thats what we need right now.

16531[/snapback]

Knew you'd say that :D

I must admit when I saw him play he looked like an exciting prospect. I would just be worried about him reaching his peak too soon, or getting dogged by injuries that could make him a future Lee Morris...How old is he?

16533[/snapback]

He's 18, 19 in December. If you're good enough you're old enough. Tommy Wright is 20 this month, its ridiculous that Micky is still persisting with pathetic excuses of strikers instead of him STILL.

16518[/snapback]

If i didnt know myself, i'd say Dawson, Stearman, and Wright are the way to go from reading that ;)

16520[/snapback]

From the one and only time I have seen Stearman (Pepsi Challenge) I thought he was excellent. As Scow said though, he needs to beef up a bit! As for Dawson & Wright, they should be on the bench.

I have a quick comparative question...if you had to pick scowy(or anyone who has seen both play)...would you go for Gudjonnson, or Dawson?

16527[/snapback]

I've seen Dawson play two full games, and he's been excellent - Man of the match in both. No harm in giving him a chance. Him and Tiatto in midfield would be a fantastic combination. Give him a chance against Rotherham, we'll need some battlers against them. He can also play a bit too.

16518[/snapback]

16520[/snapback]

16527[/snapback]

I've seen Dawson play two full games, and he's been excellent - Man of the match in both. No harm in giving him a chance. Him and Tiatto in midfield would be a fantastic combination. Give him a chance against Rotherham, we'll need some battlers against them. He can also play a bit too.

16535[/snapback]

tiatto the new lennon. dawson the new savage. :thumbup:

all we need know is a knew muzzy. :rolleyes: maybe williams will come good.

our team on papaer looks amazing, but on the pitch it is not the same. You have to blame the manager for this.

our team on papaer looks amazing, but on the pitch it is not the same. You have to blame the manager for this.

16540[/snapback]

I think for now I will just say both the manager AND the players haven't shown us what they can do, and both need to start performing soon. It is to easy to point to a scapegoat...as a unit we are poor. The players need to ask themselves some questions!

On paper we look good, sadly football is played on grass :(

Tommy Wright plays well and scores again.

Your wasting your time Tommy at this joke of a club, you aint going to get a chance in the first team again. :(

Problems on the pitch?

Its the ones off it that are causing trouble.

Goes by the name of Micky Adams.

16547[/snapback]

The team have been poor! They are the ones out there on the pitch not Adams! And as he stated, they did not stick to the strategy worked out on the trainning ground and discussed before the game. Aside from Micky putting on his boots there is nothing he can do to change that.

The TEAM have underperformed, and yes, Adams is part of that...he needs to ask some questions...but he is not the only problem. It would be nieve to think so.

Anywho, I don't think we should degrade this thread on the youth squad into another thread about MA. Lets just agree to have differing views. :thumbup:

Dawson & Stearman look like pretty good prospects don't they?

Problems on the pitch?

Its the ones off it that are causing trouble.

Goes by the name of Micky Adams.

16547[/snapback]

The team have been poor! They are the ones out there on the pitch not Adams! And as he stated, they did not stick to the strategy worked out on the trainning ground and discussed before the game. Aside from Micky putting on his boots there is nothing he can do to change that.

The TEAM have underperformed, and yes, Adams is part of that...he needs to ask some questions...but he is not the only problem. It would be nieve to think so.

Anywho, I don't think we should degrade this thread on the youth squad into another thread about MA. Lets just agree to have differing views. :thumbup:

Dawson & Stearman look like pretty good prospects don't they?

16551[/snapback]

well said mate, and the youngs lads on the bench would be good, why blake and benji whats the point? i just dont see any reason!! why he has no keeper on bench and no centre midfield player is beyond me. brighton was the perfect game for the likes of dawson off the bench. but your right about bringing them on to fast look at matt piper when will he be back this time 3 opps on his knee last season alone :(

wahey! Dawson plays well again.

Get him and Wright into the squad for Rovrum!

16570[/snapback]

Don't think that playing people in the first team is likely to cause them injury. Problem that a lot of younger players have is caused in the early years (10-14) when they play too much football whilst their bodies are developing quickly. That's when problems can set in for the future. Obviously you don't want to overplay these players but they can just as easily get injured in the reserves as opposed to the first team.

My argument with Tommy Wright has been is he good enough and, having seen enough of Blake and Benjamin I would say that he could do no worse from the bench. As for Dawson, if Scowy he says he's ready, then give him a chance.

Encouraging news that the youngsters are shining once again and are even playing better than first teamers like Wilcox and Benjamin! I am embarassed that these younger players are showing our first team up, but then again if the youngsters are good enough they have got to be given a chance. Adams should swallow his pride and treat every player as an equal and whoever is performing well currently should be given a chance. So Dawson, Stearman and definately Wright should be thrown in to shake things up abit.

Adams has got to take no prisoners, he can't be the good guy all the time. Drop Dabizas, Heath, Wilcox, Gudjonsson and Dublin/Blake/Benjamin and replace them with Stearman, Keown, Makin, Dawson and Wrighty.

Whatever everyone's views are on the youth policy and Adams reluctance to play them, it's great to see them performing well and it's essential they keep this up because the better they play the harder it will be for Adams to ignore them and if he does, it will just be another nail in Mr Adams coffin.

Benjamin.................**** off

16570[/snapback]

Don't think that playing people in the first team is likely to cause them injury. Problem that a lot of younger players have is caused in the early years (10-14) when they play too much football whilst their bodies are developing quickly. That's when problems can set in for the future. Obviously you don't want to overplay these players but they can just as easily get injured in the reserves as opposed to the first team.

My argument with Tommy Wright has been is he good enough and, having seen enough of Blake and Benjamin I would say that he could do no worse from the bench. As for Dawson, if Scowy he says he's ready, then give him a chance.

16571[/snapback]

Everyone has always said Wright isn't good enough, but from what i've seen of him he's always looked up for it and talented. The thing with Wright is, he's been prolific at every level except first team level. But again it can take a young player a season or two to really get going, the thing you must do is give them enough chances if they are doing the business in the reserves. These so called 'experienced' players get chance after chance even though some of them (Blake, Benjamin, Wilcox) haven't performed anywhere near their best for 3 or 4 years, it's disgusting. I have spoken to a few Brentford fans about Wright and they said he was excellent for the first 4 or 5 games and then he got injured. When he came back Brentford were really struggling and gave no service to their strikers and Wright struggled, but they said he showed signs he was a good prospect. Alot of city fans have been quick to write him off because he only scored 3 or 4 goals last season, but some seem alot more lenient on wankers like Dabizas, Wilcox or Blake. Marcus Bent only scored 3 goals in an entire season for Brentford when he first started as a professional footballer, but if everyone wrote him off and didn't give him a fair chance he would never of made it!

Youth is the way forward, every player starts off as a youngster we need to develop them.

Now is the perfect time for Micky to give some of these youngsters a go.....he won't be he should.

Tommy Wright and Stephen Dawson will work their socks off if they are given a go and that is something we need so badly. Tiatto is the only one trying.

16570[/snapback]

16571[/snapback]

I really do believe Dawson is ready. He shows much maturity and energy in his play. Never stops running and never tires.

As for Wright, he was a level ahead of Benjamin, and deserves his chance to be on the bench at least.

Archived