Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Separating the artist and their work

52 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

a bit odd that's triggered you the most, pretty tame by Morrissey standards. Only time I have issue with this is if they're a nonce or something, being an outspoken nutter with daft opinions is whatever to me

It's not like we've not had 30 plus years of it, is it?

He's always said things that are a bit questionable, but frankly I don't remember him coming out with anything that was worse than I hear over the dinner table at my in laws every Sunday.  Unlike them, he makes great music (emphasis on makes, not 'made') and though I'm not making excuses for him, I can cope with people having views I don't agree with.  There's nearly always an ambiguity about what he says anyway - he throws stuff out there, sits back and watches people read all sorts into it, and never clarifies his comments, ever.  It's quite punk rock, really.

He's a funny old fish and I don't think I'd really want to know him personally (interestingly the one person I know who has met him said he was very pleasant and chatty, and only when posing for a photo with her made a comment about then having to 'adopt the persona' and then looked very serious).  His music (and unlike a lot of folk, I don't make a big distinction between his solo work and when he was in The Smiths) connects with me like nobody else's, and it would have to take something pretty bad to snap me out of that.

New album is growing rapidly on me - even the somewhat clunky 'I Bury The Living', the closing couple of minutes of which, it turns out, are sublime

If you can bear to look at the Morrissey Solo website they've got the full text of his interview in the Sunday Times magazine today.

Makes for interesting reading. If nothing else, his diet doesn't seem to have got any better. No wonder he got cancer

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/morrissey-interview-in-the-sunday-times-magazine-26th-nov-2017.141389/

Archived