Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Position that most needs strengthening

Position that most needs strengthening  

55 members have voted

1. 1. In your view, what is the position that most needs strengthening?

• Goalkeeper
    • Left Back
    • Centre Back
    • Right Back
    • Left Midfield
    • Centre Midfield
    • Right Midfield
    • Up Front

In your opinion, what is the weakest part of our side? I'm sure quite a few of you will say left back, but that can be put right by adding Sheehan and keeping him there.

Left side of midfield may be a bit of a weakness, but hopefully we will sign Smithy on till the rest of the season, then it may well be our strongest area.

In my opinion, right midfield is our weakness, Syllla is adequate there, but still doesn't convince me, he can be inconsistent and lazy, plus he has not made many goals this season, which is crucial when playing in that position.

I voted left back. Sheehan is a good prospect, but I don't think he'd be up to playing loads of games this season. We just need to stop changing our left-back.

From what I've seen Sheehan has got energy and to spare.

He never seems distressed and covers loads of ground. Be interesting if the club let us know where he figures in the measured fitness lists. I bet he can run for longer than most.

In your opinion, what is the weakest part of our side? I'm sure quite a few of you will say left back, but that can be put right by adding Sheehan and keeping him there.

Left side of midfield may be a bit of a weakness, but hopefully we will sign Smithy on till the rest of the season, then it may well be our strongest area.

In my opinion, right midfield is our weakness, Syllla is adequate there, but still doesn't convince me, he can be inconsistent and lazy, plus he has not made many goals this season, which is crucial when playing in that position.

Without any doubt right wing. How many goals has Sylla scored?. None. How many shots has he had? Very few. How many goals has he made? A few but not enough. I think he is working a bit harder now - and that is promising, but while Hammill does have an inclination to inconsistency and also certain limitations he does seen to threaten more with what he does. We need a winger who does pose a goal threat though I imagine Goal-Smith will be able to play on either flank.

So we have ability and cover in every position. I still think we're a bit iffy at centre-back but we're not conceding too many and with greater emphasis on attack, one goal against per game would not be a great problem.

And the strikers should score more regularly with greater all-round support. Part of this support MUST come from Sheehan. He can score and make goals. How many left backs IN THE COUNTRY do that?

Striker.

As much as I like Hammond he is never going to score alot of goals.

Hume seems more of a playmaker or an attacking midfielder.

So that leaves us to depend on de Vries for goals. Although he has 6 I think we need an out and out goalscorer like Dickov....

I voted up front we could do with a proven goal scorer

Difficult to argue with that. I am still intrigued to learn whether Chambers can play. All the evidence printed on here suggests that he can but there has, I believe, been no official word from Leicester City. It would be nice to hear from them.

If he is available then why on earth not use him in shortish introductory bursts?. He scores goals for fun.

Difficult to argue with that. I am still intrigued to learn whether Chambers can play. All the evidence printed on here suggests that he can but there has, I believe, been no official word from Leicester City. It would be nice to hear from them.

If he is available then why on earth not use him in shortish introductory bursts?. He scores goals for fun.

I think the club would rather see him play on Saturday mornings for the academy than sit on the bench for the majority of a first team game on Saturday afternoons. If that is their thinking I can't blame them. This is a 15 year old lad remember. He's already playing with lads that are 3 years older than him for the academy side and with some full professionals in the reserve games. It must benefit him more to play in these sorts of games rather than sitting on a bench all game?

I think the club would rather see him play on Saturday mornings for the academy than sit on the bench for the majority of a first team game on Saturday afternoons. If that is their thinking I can't blame them. This is a 15 year old lad remember. He's already playing with lads that are 3 years older than him for the academy side and with some full professionals in the reserve games. It must benefit him more to play in these sorts of games rather than sitting on a bench all game?

By shortish I mean 25/30 minutes. You may be right but the blokes he'd be playing against would be no bigger in the first team than the Reserves from what I've seen.

It's never bothered him so far. Indeed, the style of player his is, he might well find it easier to score in the first team than where he's getting better service than in the lesser teams.

This obsession with age gets me. There's plenty say Dion's too old at 36 but he's been man of the match a few times this season already by my reckoning. And Chambers, 15 or not, has been top man or close for both the Reserves and for his England youth team.

Mickey Adams picks seasoned "right age" players. Fat lot of good it seems to do him and some of the guys he had playing for Leicester....

If they're good enough...

We need goals, but we also need the service for strikers to get the goals so you go for the root of the problem, therefore i would say winger or even a CM. However, i would play Hughes in the middle, hope Sylla plays well and keeps form consistently and hope Hammil can do the same, or even bring Wilcox in and give him a go. Then if we have any funds left or any prospects for a loan singing i would go for a centre forward.

I don't think the club are going to make the statements you or we want to hear as he's only 15 years of age. Nobody in their right mind would start predicting what Ashley Chambers is going to do in his career until he's played a number of games for the first team. Even David Moyes was very careful in what he said about Wayne Rooney at a similar age.

We've seen it all before when a youngster takes apart teams at youth level and reserve level but some fail to do the same at first team level and although I think that Chambers could be the real deal at 15 you don't want to hype him up all the while.

I'm sure the academy director, all the coaches and Craig Levein will be encouraging him and praising him but to come out and say he's the best thing they've ever seen could be detrimental to the player. Next year when he's old enough to play in the league and Levein thinks he's ready to crank up a gear then praise like that might be in aid, but i'd keep him in check until atleast he's 16/17.

Going back to the poll, I think we need a centre forward who has the consistency and confidence to play in this league and higher. Hume has showed this, but we need someone to play up with him who has ability, confidence and great finishing to boot. Elvis would be better on the right wing for me and with Smith on the left and Wesolowski and Hughes in the centre all we are lacking is somebody to bury the ball in the net. Hume will set up goals, score goals and run at teams but he's often picking the ball up deep and we need a clever striker who stays on the shoulder of the defender until the last minute and then bang ya bastard.

I don't think the club are going to make the statements you or we want to hear as he's only 15 years of age. Nobody in their right mind would start predicting what Ashley Chambers is going to do in his career until he's played a number of games for the first team. Even David Moyes was very careful in what he said about Wayne Rooney at a similar age.

We've seen it all before when a youngster takes apart teams at youth level and reserve level but some fail to do the same at first team level and although I think that Chambers could be the real deal at 15 you don't want to hype him up all the while.

I'm sure the academy director, all the coaches and Craig Levein will be encouraging him and praising him but to come out and say he's the best thing they've ever seen could be detrimental to the player. Next year when he's old enough to play in the league and Levein thinks he's ready to crank up a gear then praise like that might be in aid, but i'd keep him in check until atleast he's 16/17.

Going back to the poll, I think we need a centre forward who has the consistency and confidence to play in this league and higher. Hume has showed this, but we need someone to play up with him who has ability, confidence and great finishing to boot. Elvis would be better on the right wing for me and with Smith on the left and Wesolowski and Hughes in the centre all we are lacking is somebody to bury the ball in the net. Hume will set up goals, score goals and run at teams but he's often picking the ball up deep and we need a clever striker who stays on the shoulder of the defender until the last minute and then bang ya bastard.

Not sure young Hammond doesn't need an old fashioned change of luck. Two disallowed goals at Derby, one fluky bounce over the bar at Watford, great saves off him and the odd near miss- it's not as if he hasn't been a threat.

But you may still be right. Either way I love it when you write those names down. With another centre-forward on top I could just see a few teams getting a real walloping..... :):):):)

Not sure young Hammond doesn't need an old fashioned change of luck. Two disallowed goals at Derby, one fluky bounce over the bar at Watford, great saves off him and the odd near miss- it's not as if he hasn't been a threat.

But you may still be right. Either way I love it when you write those names down. With another centre-forward on top I could just see a few teams getting a real walloping..... :):):):)

Your right and it's the first time i've said a bad word about Elvis, but he's played 15 games for us now and scored 1 goal. Is it bad luck or bad finishing? The fact he doesn't learn how to play the offside rule indicates he might not be the full ticket. Dangerous at times but we need it all the time and effectively.

Why play a centre back at left back just because he is left footed.

Brianless.

Nissa did his best but he is no match for nippy wingers with his physical attributes and his distribution was dreadful.

Play Sheenan or Gilbert or get someone in.

Poor old Nissa :(

I agree but keeping a winning team is important aswell. Having said that I was screaming at Levein to take Nissa off on saturday, not that we had a left back on the bench.

Archived