Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Managers: Peter Taylor, 2000-2001

I have been looking at this thread since it was put up and I was trying so hard not to respond and let it go but...

I hate and detest the dumb f**k... 2 years of rehab and and corner rocking still hasn't removed the fact that he was by far the worst manager ever to step foot into our football club. I hate to think what I would do if i ever bumped into him. Some of the football decisions he made were laughable... my dear old gran (God bless her soul) used to question his decisions and she knew nothing about football!

Now, where did i put that shrinks number??

On 12/03/2019 at 22:41, Tuna said:

Almost ruined the football club by ripping up everything O'Neill built in no time at all and wasting millions on rubbish players that were not good enough for the shirt.

I still have Junior Lewis flashbacks.

And then there was Wycombe. Don't get me started on Wycombe.

Go on please start on Wycombe! ???

On 14/03/2019 at 09:39, murphy said:

You make a good stab at playing Devil's advocate but Taylor's reign amounted to industrial sabotage in my view.

He took an established premier league team with trophies in the bank and turned them into cannon fodder and at huge expense.

I will never forgive him because he cost me (and you) an entire decade and nearly destroyed the club itself.  That's why he was the most disastrous manager of all time.

It was all so avoidable.  The manager to follow O'Neill should have built on that success.  I don't blame the board for finally making money available, we had been crying out for that for years.  I blame Taylor for making some of the most inexplicable signings imaginable and I don't just say that with hindsight I said it at the time.  I just couldn't understand the procession of journeymen that turned up.

You can only play Devil's Advocate up to a point with Taylor because the reign was the most disastrous in terms of legacy. Even our recovery in 2003 was hamstrung by financial restrictions which came about because of his misspending. Yes, you can blame the board for allowing it, but in the right hands we'd never have used that money to bring in Benjamin, Akinbiyi, Cresswell, Lee Marshall, Lewis, Wise, Jones and so on. We didn't get over that downfall until we went up and stayed up a decade and a half later.

My point was that, regardless of him being our worst manager, we have to give some credit for people who managed to grind out results at any level. We can't simply put it down to the previous manager, because a certain level of success has to be credited to the incumbent coach. He managed to win games, lead us to 1st, take us to 4th by the start of March, end up with a mid-table finish and one tiny grain of credit has to be conceded for that. If we're going to strip him of all that credit, we'd have to redistribute a lot of credit for other managers who came in and enjoyed a bounce. Pearson would take more credit for the title, for example, which isn't necessarily sensible. I think you deserve credit for the type of bounce Ranieri - and Kelly, Shakespeare and co. - achieved, without necessarily believing they were competent in the longer term.

On the other hand, there are managers in our history that we can't spare any credit for whatsoever. Allen - it's hard, unless you place a lot of emphasis on that Watford game, or excuse his mis-spending and incompetence on the grounds that the chairman was to blame. Or Megson - we slumped from 11th, I think, to 17th, and then he walked out and we went down. Do you excuse him on the grounds that he dropped us in it? And Holloway - again, you can always have some sympathy for a manager who walks into that situation, but he still achieved nothing positive whatsoever, only our lowest ever finish. It was 100% a failure, with no six month-long surge up the table, or mid-table finish to his name. Sousa, Louis Ford in the Fosse days, and above all McLintock - we can't even counterbalance their disastrous reigns with a glimmer of positivity, regardless of whether blame for the collapses we endured under them can be left as decisively at the manager's doorstep as in the case of Taylor.

On balance, I'd say Taylor was our worst manager. The others achieved nothing (I read a write-up on McLintock which said 'at least he recognised the need for change', but I don't think we can credit him for pre-empting the rebuild under Wallace!) and yet there were better excuses for their failures than in his case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2019 at 12:32, inckley fox said:

You can only play Devil's Advocate up to a point with Taylor because the reign was the most disastrous in terms of legacy. Even our recovery in 2003 was hamstrung by financial restrictions which came about because of his misspending. Yes, you can blame the board for allowing it, but in the right hands we'd never have used that money to bring in Benjamin, Akinbiyi, Cresswell, Lee Marshall, Lewis, Wise, Jones and so on. We didn't get over that downfall until we went up and stayed up a decade and a half later.

My point was that, regardless of him being our worst manager, we have to give some credit for people who managed to grind out results at any level. We can't simply put it down to the previous manager, because a certain level of success has to be credited to the incumbent coach. He managed to win games, lead us to 1st, take us to 4th by the start of March, end up with a mid-table finish and one tiny grain of credit has to be conceded for that. If we're going to strip him of all that credit, we'd have to redistribute a lot of credit for other managers who came in and enjoyed a bounce. Pearson would take more credit for the title, for example, which isn't necessarily sensible. I think you deserve credit for the type of bounce Ranieri - and Kelly, Shakespeare and co. - achieved, without necessarily believing they were competent in the longer term.

On the other hand, there are managers in our history that we can't spare any credit for whatsoever. Allen - it's hard, unless you place a lot of emphasis on that Watford game, or excuse his mis-spending and incompetence on the grounds that the chairman was to blame. Or Megson - we slumped from 11th, I think, to 17th, and then he walked out and we went down. Do you excuse him on the grounds that he dropped us in it? And Holloway - again, you can always have some sympathy for a manager who walks into that situation, but he still achieved nothing positive whatsoever, only our lowest ever finish. It was 100% a failure, with no six month-long surge up the table, or mid-table finish to his name. Sousa, Louis Ford in the Fosse days, and above all McLintock - we can't even counterbalance their disastrous reigns with a glimmer of positivity, regardless of whether blame for the collapses we endured under them can be left as decisively at the manager's doorstep as in the case of Taylor.

On balance, I'd say Taylor was our worst manager. The others achieved nothing (I read a write-up on McLintock which said 'at least he recognised the need for change', but I don't think we can credit him for pre-empting the rebuild under Wallace!) and yet there were better excuses for their failures than in his case.

I assume you are not old enough to remember  McLintoch

2 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

I assume you are not old enough to remember  McLintoch

I mentioned him! But yes, I am too young to remember him. I'm also too young to remember Louis Ford, whose glorious reign ended over a century ago.

I am aware of how terrible a manager McLintock clearly was for us. The defence of him that I read was years back, in the Mercury maybe, in a sort of 'pros and cons' article about different managers. In his defence they said that form had already collapsed late on in Bloomfield's reign, and that a large section of the crowd was calling for a change in manager, something which people often forget when they talk glowingly about the Bloomfield years. McLintock was clearly out of his depth, but the Leicester job wasn't as easy as people thought, and the squad needed dismantling.

Maybe that was being kind, I don't know. As for Taylor, well, his legacy was worse than McLintock's in that, two years after McLintock left, we were back in the top flight. A few years later we went up and stayed up. On the other hand, Taylor's legacy was relegation, near closure and a financial collapse which deprived us of a chance to be competitive for a decade and a half. He achieved all this on the back of our most successful era to date, and with plenty of money in the bank.

Perhaps it could be argued that McLintock's legacy was only less severe than it was because of the quality of the two bosses who followed over the next 7-8 years, whereas Bassett, Adams, Levein, Kelly, Allen, Megson and Holloway were our managers in the 7-8 period after Taylor. With the very debatable exceptions of Bassett (on account of the bleakness of the situation when he arrived), Adams (for achieving a grain of success when times were tough) and Kelly (for his initial success), they really weren't the best of bunches.

For my part, I always sat on the fence and took the view that these weren't great managers, but that progress was virtually impossible for anyone in the immediate wake of Taylor.

There was something of quality there but it was very well hidden.

He did make Beckham England captain!

From what I've been told about him....

Did a very good Norman Wisdom.

Introduced himself as 'Peter Taylor England manager'

Got caught with his pants down.

I heard a radio interview after winning a cup game with Gillingham. Thought 'who is the dick?' so far up his own ass and basically touting himself for any job going, unbelievable.

When questioned about why pay so much for Akinbiyi his reply was 'Their (Wolves) chairman assured me he was worth £5.5m'

Cottee and Walsh told to leave as 'you went for my job' Walsh then went to Ipswich with Hamilton (who he 'despised') He had to get two trains to training as been done for DD. Days late to sign for Ipswich as on a bender!!

41 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

When questioned about why pay so much for Akinbiyi his reply was 'Their (Wolves) chairman assured me he was worth £5.5m'

I heard it as the Wolves Chairman asked for £3.5mill and Taylor said he's worth more than that how about £5.5mill.

49 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

There was something of quality there but it was very well hidden.

He did make Beckham England captain!

From what I've been told about him....

Did a very good Norman Wisdom.

Introduced himself as 'Peter Taylor England manager'

Got caught with his pants down.

I heard a radio interview after winning a cup game with Gillingham. Thought 'who is the dick?' so far up his own ass and basically touting himself for any job going, unbelievable.

Cottee and Walsh told to leave as 'you went for my job' Walsh then went to Ipswich with Hamilton (who he 'despised') He had to get two trains to training as been done for DD. Days late to sign for Ipswich as on a bender!!

Cottee and Walsh both went to Norwich.