Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

The Top Clubs in England over the last 50 years

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

lol 

Pre-takeover Man City had won 2 league titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups and the European cup winner’s cup.

Yeah not much in it between that and our 3 league cups.

All of that was pre-1970. Which is practically my whole life.

Pre the oil money, as far as I've ever experienced, they were a yoyo club like us.

Might as well say Huddersfield Town and Preston North End are massive clubs.

• Like 1

I do think when you win trophies plays a big part in how you are viewed. Chelsea have won every trophy going in the past 20-odd years and still there is a perception they aren't a big club and don't have a history.

Nowadays, if you are successful it can be analysed to death. All the games are seen, every team is scrutinised, all the stuff is archived. If you won the title in 1957 or 1964 it doesn't apply. Nobody mentions that second place were bottlers, third to sixth were poor, 7th and below were a woeful lot. It is set in stone how won what and it isn't argued.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

All of that was pre-1970. Which is practically my whole life.

Pre the oil money, as far as I've ever experienced, they were a yoyo club like us.

Might as well say Huddersfield Town and Preston North End are massive clubs.

It’s a bit niche using trophies won pre-takeover and in Trav Le Bleu’s lifetime though. 

They won the European cup winner’s cup in 1970 and two league cups in the same decade anyway.

I appreciate they had a yo-yo existence fir quite a while but they’ve had a very strong history.

Guest bss9401

I'm enjoying reading this. Speaking of opinions and influences you could easily go on attendances. For example Man City once got 84000 for a game. However, how many could we have got for the Everton trophy presentation game? I'd say we could have beaten even 84000 given that 250000 attended the parade celebration and an average of 50000 in 16/17.