Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

The Top Clubs in England over the last 50 years

12 minutes ago, dayday said:

Just been looking on the sky sports app and over the last 50 years based on average league positions Leicester are 14th best which is better than Forest and Derby 

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at that as I thought we would be around 17th-20th, just shows you how much Forest have fallen since the Clough era

Heres the top 20

1. Liverpool

2. Arsenal

3. Man Utd 

4. Spurs

5. Everton

6. Chelsea 

7. Man City

8. Aston Villa

9. Newcastle

10. West Ham

11. Southampton 

12. Leeds

13. Ipswich

14. Leicester

15. Norwich

16. Middlesbrough 

17. Nottingham Forest 

18. Derby

19. West Brom

20. Sunderland.

Any surprises there?, I thought Sheffield Wednesday would be in the top 20, but they was only 28th.

Sorry I couldn’t do the link, so if somebody could kindly do it thanks.

Ipswich, i always forget, were reasonably decent for a period. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Wednesday have done very little in the last 50 years save for a good 10 year spell late 80s and 90s. I really don't think they're as big a club as people think they are. 

Plenty of clubs have a great history but it’s not really relevant if it was pre-WWII, teams were playing in hobnail boots and lined up with eight attackers. Preston and Huddersfield have won a load but it wasn’t in anybody’s living memory, doesn’t make them big clubs. To be a big club, you have to win things fairly often.

Edited by Stadt

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

This League is probably more accurate. I know that football existed before 1992 but the Premier League was a game changer and this table gives a more relevant picture of where we are.

Currently 17th but expect to go up 2/3 places next season.

Could easily get in to 13th :ph34r:

31 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Plenty of clubs have a great history but it’s not really relevant if it was pre-WWII, teams were playing in hobnail boots and lined up with eight attackers. Burnley and Preston have won a load but it wasn’t in anybody’s living memory, doesn’t make them big clubs. To be a big club, you have to win things fairly often.

Unless you're Celtic:ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

This League is probably more accurate. I know that football existed before 1992 but the Premier League was a game changer and this table gives a more relevant picture of where we are.

Currently 17th but expect to go up 2/3 places next season.

17th for Points, but 15th for Points/Match (and not far from 10th) and 13th for Win%.

(And 31st for Goal Difference, but that's partly because 17 of the clubs above have less than 300 games played. It really ought to have GD/Match too.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Plenty of clubs have a great history but it’s not really relevant if it was pre-WWII, teams were playing in hobnail boots and lined up with eight attackers. Burnley and Preston have won a load but it wasn’t in anybody’s living memory, doesn’t make them big clubs. To be a big club, you have to win things fairly often.

There are three consistent, giant clubs (Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal) who are either winning trophies, competing at the top and in Europe. Then you've got the next level (Everton, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Tottenham, Man City) who are in the top flight, winning titles/ trophies for a period, Newcastle and West Ham (top flight without many trophies) then the rest (top flight, yo-yo, spells of success and mediocrity outside the top flight).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

There are three consistent, giant clubs (Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal) who are either winning trophies, competing at the top and in Europe. Then you've got the next level (Everton, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Tottenham, Man City) who are in the top flight, winning titles/ trophies for a period, Newcastle and West Ham (top flight without many trophies) then the rest (top flight, yo-yo, spells of success and mediocrity outside the top flight).

Newcastle probably deserve to be in the middle bracket there, especially compared to West Ham. West Ham are probably the country’s biggest underachievers historically 

• Like 2

Chelsea and Man City in 6th and 7th respectively shows just how recent a flash in the pan they have been. Take the last 20 years off and they'd be around our level.

There are also teams higher than us due to consistent mediocrity, such as West Ham and Southampton.

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Chelsea and Man City in 6th and 7th respectively shows just how recent a flash in the pan they have been. Take the last 20 years off and they'd be around our level.

There are also teams higher than us due to consistent mediocrity, such as West Ham and Southampton.

They were still significantly bigger than us before the oil money 

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

They weren't significantly more successful.

lol 

Pre-takeover Man City had won 2 league titles, 4 FA cups, 2 league cups and the European cup winner’s cup.

Yeah not much in it between that and our 3 league cups.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bovril said:

Wednesday have done very little in the last 50 years save for a good 10 year spell late 80s and 90s. I really don't think they're as big a club as people think they are. 

Likewise Sheff United. 1 top flight season in 25 years. Some of these clubs live on pre WW1 reputations. Their last trophy was in 1925, nearly 100 years ago.

13 minutes ago, Koke said:

Likewise Sheff United. 1 top flight season in 25 years. Some of these clubs live on pre WW1 reputations. Their last trophy was in 1925, nearly 100 years ago.

Wednesday's reputation seems to be on them having 'massive crowds', which isn't really true either. Ex-housemate was absolutely positive Wednesday was a better supported club than Leicester and no evidence to the contrary could dissuade him. 

Should be moving up to 13th next year but to move above Leeds is going to take a few more years of us finishing in the top 10 and them being in the Championship.

Forest/Derby and both Sheffield clubs neck and neck.

Who decided to include MK Dons in that league table :mad:

I think whichever way I look at it, on either table,  we're about where I thought we would be.