Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Gist

best/worst away games

The Charlton game was great. Also the Forest game on a Friday night which we drew 1-1 but scored in the last minute was one of the best atmospheres.

I was there that night as well. I seem to remember the chant through out the game was "£31 and we'll stand up"

£31 for a Friday night game..and it was on Sky as well if I remember correctly.

I was there that night as well. I seem to remember the chant through out the game was "£31 and we'll stand up"

Yeah, we sung it even though we payed kids prices £15 or something :P And when they scored this bloke near us kicked his chair through lol

I remember that game too - and then when we equalised the Forest Fans in the stand above us started spitting ... :angry:

The 82/83 season was for me our finest away support season.

The stand out match for me being Fulham with Ian Wilson scoring the winner.

Five games to go and it was either City or Fulham going to take 3rd place and promotion but Derby beat Fulham on the last day of the season and we drew with Burnley to take 3rd spot.

Our away support for the whole season was superb though.

We must have taken at least 10000 to Craven Cottage. It was a fantastic day out all round.

Apart from the Wembley trips, it's one of the best awaydays I've ever had following the FOXES.

After reading the '10,000 City fans at Luton' and 'Football's Hardest Away Days' threads, I thought I'd ask this:

At which game would you say we had our best ever away support (obviously I'm thinking in terms of atmosphere created and numbers)?

I would probably say Reading in the 4th round of the Cup a few years ago. About 3,500 of us turned up and sang the whole game - proper carnival atmosphere. And then Scowy popped up with a last minute winner and we all went mad. :D

Also my first away game. :cool:

Agree with the Reading game, that was excellent.

A few other notable occasions were - Man City 3-0, Walsall 4-1 and Watford 2-1.

My top 10 away trips of all time (excluding playoff and cup finals):

1) Fulham 1-0 1982-83

2) Birmingham 1-0 2003-04

3) Charlton (FA Cup) 2-1 2004-05

4) Wimbledon (League Cup) 1-1 1996-97

5) Derby 4-0 1997-98

6) Sunderland (League Cup) 2-1 1998-99

7) Chelsea 2-0 2000-01

8) Watford 1-0 1995-96

9) Portsmouth 2-2 1992-93

10) Blackburn 4-2 1996-97

We must have taken at least 10000 to Craven Cottage. It was a fantastic day out all round.

Apart from the Wembley trips, it's one of the best awaydays I've ever had following the FOXES.

Great day and night out, especially considering so many of the away matches then were just unpleasant.

For me my top 5 are:

1) Charlton 2-1 Dioooooooon last minute we were front row next to the celebrations.

2) Reading same cup run as charlton scowy last minute!!!

3) Hull on boxing day 2-1. 1st haLf was not good but 2nd was magical, when williams scored i went mad!! :P we were very loud 2nd half. excellant day!

4) ) Derby away 0-1 this season. Their fans were good as well Hull on boxing day 2-1. 1st haLf was not good but 2nd was magical, when williams scored i went mad!! :P

5) Cov last season We were good but considering we took 5,000 i was expecting a little better.

Also went blackburn in the cup we may of had 7,000 but I can't remember the atmophere being too good. Best away game for me was 1997/98 old trafford when tc scored I cant really remember how good the atmosphere was but i can remember getting crused by everyone when we scored and my mate whos a man u fan just sitting there angry :P

I went to a lot of the away games that season and I can't remember any bother, not even at Chelsea or Leeds!

I might be wrong but I thought it was that season that we had to walk back to Leeds station and all sorts of shite kicked off in the underpass just before we got to the station.

Not really got a favourite away game but i've really enjoyed a few. Birmingham in 03-04 was my first away game and enjoyed that one, with Les scoring the winner. Bolton in the cup last season was good even though we ended up losing. I really enjoyed Cov and Derby away aswell this season.

Our FA Cup run of 2004/05 which started off with a poor result vs. Blackpool.

I went to every game bar the Blackpool replay, it was a great time for City fans although it took the players minds off the league.

I did the same but went that replay at blackpool, it was snowing its was a nightmare drive up there, I skidded my car into the kerb in glenfield and thought 'this is gonna be a long drive'

for numbers of fans I remember going charlton in the early 90's when Charlton were playing at Upton Park and we had 2 sides of there ground packed out.

I might be wrong but I thought it was that season that we had to walk back to Leeds station and all sorts of shite kicked off in the underpass just before we got to the station.

This may have happened - the policing at Leeds is not the best - but I didn't see it. And I went to that game on the train..

Apart from the ones mentioned already I enjoyed seeing us beat Leeds at Elland Road 04/05 season. It was the first time I had seen us win away and was a good day all round.

Apart from the ones mentioned already I enjoyed seeing us beat Leeds at Elland Road 04/05 season. It was the first time I had seen us win away and was a good day all round.

Certainly was. We even had some good banter with the home fans in the Wetherspoons at the train station before the game. :o

Leeds has some cracking pubs, if you know where to find them..

One I really enjoyed was Birmingham away the season we were in the Premiership. It was the match after the La Manga scandal, and all the Leicester fans were in place 1/2 an hour before kick off - the noise was non-stop including chants like "You couldn't score in La Manga ..." aimed at the Birmingham team. When we scored (Les Ferdinand if I remember correctly), Leicester fans went nuts. Brilliant! Loved it!

Completely agree - an amazing away game after a bad period for the club.

Will live with me forever that day - fantastic.

Blackburn 1992..... The Darwen End was jammed with 5000 and the roof almost came off when Rooster charged down Bobby Mimms to plunder the winner. Utter Mayhem.

Barnsley 1993..... The Oakwell mountain was closed 30 minutes before kick off and they put us in the enclosure in front of the away seats. Great decision by the SYP as it had Barnsley in there as well. That was the night that the rest of the country woke up to Julian Joachim, also the night Owen Archdeacon leathered one in from near Huddersfield in injury time and we went out on penalties. Probbably another 7000 there.

Notts County 1993/1994..... The ZDS Cup Northern semi-finals and Paul Fitzpatrick dives head first to put us through in the pouring rain. There were about 1000 Mags there tops.

Peterborough 1993..... Went there 8,000 handed in half the ground and promptly got taken for 3 in the worst display of the season to that point (we got humiliated 7-1 at Newcastle on live TV 2 weeks later). Our lot set fire to the terrace behind the goal and there was a pitch invasion and rioting for the most part of the day. Good atmosphere though before we started to play.

Charlton 1992..... At Upton Park 10000 at least, the whole North Bank and Chicken Run including the stand above.

Ipswich 1989..... Harry Krishnas storming the roof.

Oxford 1989/1990..... FA Cup, sky diving off the Cuckoo Lane floodlights as we lost again in the third round.

One of the worst has got to be against Millwall..FA Cup replay on a Wednesday night in the late 80's,bloody freezing and intimadating..and we were awful!

Talking of the FA cup around the same time we played Hereford at their place,beat them 1-0 and did the conga..that was ok but the train broke down on the way home...took ages and the coppers on it weren't exactly friendly either! :angry:

Archived