Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Gist

best/worst away games

One of the worst has got to be against Millwall..FA Cup replay on a Wednesday night in the late 80's,bloody freezing and intimadating..and we were awful!

Talking of the FA cup around the same time we played Hereford at their place,beat them 1-0 and did the conga..that was ok but the train broke down on the way home...took ages and the coppers on it weren't exactly friendly either! :angry:

Do you remember the FA Cup game at Millwall late eighties where we were 1-0 up with 3 to go and lost?

Our OL boys took a proper hiding before and afterwards as well, not a good day out.

My first, losing to Birmingham 4-1 in '78 was only notable for the fact that it was my first ever game, it was my birthday and people were fighting each other. I wasn't at Orient in '80, but I was at the Charlton game the week before for the 2-1 and our march towards promotion.

Away? Being in the Home end at Roker Park in '94 with a load of my Mackem mates...jumping around to Julian's brace was a riot. :D

The single worst game I believe I have ever seen a City side play has to be this seasons Colchester game. Fecking shocking.

Blackburn 1992..... The Darwen End was jammed with 5000 and the roof almost came off when Rooster charged down Bobby Mimms to plunder the winner. Utter Mayhem.

Barnsley 1993..... The Oakwell mountain was closed 30 minutes before kick off and they put us in the enclosure in front of the away seats. Great decision by the SYP as it had Barnsley in there as well. That was the night that the rest of the country woke up to Julian Joachim, also the night Owen Archdeacon leathered one in from near Huddersfield in injury time and we went out on penalties. Probbably another 7000 there.

Notts County 1993/1994..... The ZDS Cup Northern semi-finals and Paul Fitzpatrick dives head first to put us through in the pouring rain. There were about 1000 Mags there tops.

Peterborough 1993..... Went there 8,000 handed in half the ground and promptly got taken for 3 in the worst display of the season to that point (we got humiliated 7-1 at Newcastle on live TV 2 weeks later). Our lot set fire to the terrace behind the goal and there was a pitch invasion and rioting for the most part of the day. Good atmosphere though before we started to play.

Charlton 1992..... At Upton Park 10000 at least, the whole North Bank and Chicken Run including the stand above.

Ipswich 1989..... Harry Krishnas storming the roof.

Oxford 1989/1990..... FA Cup, sky diving off the Cuckoo Lane floodlights as we lost again in the third round.

I went to all of those games, took a transit van to ipswich overflowing with poeple, with nothing to sit on until we stopped at a petrol station and the lads pinched a 3 piece suit, great weekend in yarmouth!! but only 4 of us made the journey home in the van. :D

I forgot to add.....

Southampton 1996..... Relegated by Man United about 2 months previous the Hampshire police made us kick-off on the last day at 12 noon. A weekend in Bournemouth was called for, 8 of the lads arrested at Dean Court :doh: the day before our game. Bottom tier of the away end at The Dell and non stop singing all game, the Saints were laughing at "Que se-ra se-ra, where ever we'll be we'll be, we're going to Endsleigh, que se-ra se-ra". Two goals in the last 8 minutes to get a draw and you'd have thought we'd won the league, even the Saints boys joined in the equaliser.

Does anyone remember peterborough away. early 90's id say. Think we lost 3 nil( i was young) There was a massive turn out by city for that.

Always remember upton park watching city V Charlton. Never seen anything like it.

One of the funniest days out has to be the season opener day against Notts County..they had just had Meadow Lane re-furbished on 3 sides and typical of Leicester we were all taking the piss...Derek Pavis came on the pitch with a microphone and went berserk at us...sooo funny! strangely I can't remember the result :dunno:

One of the funniest days out has to be the season opener day against Notts County..they had just had Meadow Lane re-furbished on 3 sides and typical of Leicester we were all taking the piss...Derek Pavis came on the pitch with a microphone and went berserk at us...sooo funny! strangely I can't remember the result :dunno:
1-1, Phil gee had scored just before half-time, as I recall, and Pavis couldn't understand why the City fans wouldn't shut up. Calling us bastards though..... :@

Cracking memory you have.....

Those three stands went up at Meadow Lane over one summer, yes they might be Subbuteo stands but it was still an impressive achievement.

Cracking memory you have.....

Those three stands went up at Meadow Lane over one summer, yes they might be Subbuteo stands but it was still an impressive achievement.

I can remember going on 26th March 1994, when we were both going for the play-offs, and we lost 4-1. Draper ripped us to pieces, that's why Little signed him, I guess. There must have been over 10,000 of us, and I think the total gate wasn't much more than that (please allow for poetic overexxageration)!! No wonder they slid down the leagues. :cry:

i was there too, didn't walshy get sent off? and i got the winner in the lincoln :P

I also enjoyed Cardiff away when we won 1-0 in the league cup last season. There was a great atmosphere considering there was only about 400 away fans there.

I can remember going on 26th March 1994, when we were both going for the play-offs, and we lost 4-1. Draper ripped us to pieces, that's why Little signed him, I guess. There must have been over 10,000 of us, and I think the total gate wasn't much more than that (please allow for poetic overexxageration)!! No wonder they slid down the leagues. :cry:

Ha ha, that day was also significant because it was the debut of our then record signing..... Mark Blake who was so immobile because of his hamstring shorts that he looked a disaster of a signing.

We had that entire away stand which was about 5000, plus about 2000 down the side stand with a few extra dotted around the ground.

I also enjoyed Cardiff away when we won 1-0 in the league cup last season. There was a great atmosphere considering there was only about 400 away fans there.

Yes I was there,good atmosphere considering how oppressive Ninian Park is!

Going back to the good old days I remember going down to Harlow and losing...that was real bad and we actually got chased..I think they were Spurs boys though :blink:

Yes I was there,good atmosphere considering how oppressive Ninian Park is!

Going back to the good old days I remember going down to Harlow and losing...that was real bad and we actually got chased..I think they were Spurs boys though :blink:

They were indeed the Yido's.

He was bigging up the ground, strangely forgetting how 10000 of us had been soaked the season before on the open terrace.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned the Full Members Cup run!

Or are you all too young to remember that?

He was bigging up the ground, strangely forgetting how 10000 of us had been soaked the season before on the open terrace.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned the Full Members Cup run!

Or are you all too young to remember that?

Yes but it was worth the soaking...even went into extra time I recall!

Worst away games wolves 4-3 leicester and when boro scored twice in injury to make it 3-3

Best away games : When we beat birmingham 1-0 after the la manga sage.....leeds 2-1 this season and forest 1-1 last minute equaliser ...gotta love it.

I think my favourite was beating charlton down at the valley. I really enjoyed Hull on Monday aswell, the atmosphere was great.

The worst was probably Norwich this season, i don't think i've been to a game away where we have lost by more than 3-1.

Archived