Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Shake-Up For TV Football

Shake-Up For TV Football

Updated: 12:17, Thursday November 17, 2005

The nature of televised football in the UK is to change after the European Commission and the Premier League settled a dispute over the sale of rights.

Under the agreement, a single company will not be allowed to show all the live Premier League matches broadcast in the UK.

The Premier League will sell six packages of matches, with no one bidder allowed to bid for all six.

The deal ends BSkyB's exclusive hold on live Premier League football, a position it has held for the last 13 years.

The Commission said: "The commitments offered by the Premier League should ensure that the media rights are sold in a fair and transparent manner and give British football fans greater choice and better value."

The new system for selling rights will be brought in for the 2007/8 season.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3000...5,00.html?f=dta

Is this a good or a bad thing? If a terrestrial channel bids for the games then it could be a good thing, but it's more likely that another channel will bid for a package or two and then people will have to pay for Sky Sports and another channel if they want all of the games.

Also with the increased competition does that mean that the Premier League clubs will get even more money? Will Championship games be shown more because there are less Premiership games to be shown on Sky? Is that a good thing, considering KO times being changed etcetera?

Is this a good or a bad thing? If a terrestrial channel bids for the games then it could be a good thing, but it's more likely that another channel will bid for a package or two and then people will have to pay for Sky Sports and another channel if they want all of the games.

Also with the increased competition does that mean that the Premier League clubs will get even more money? Will Championship games be shown more because there are less Premiership games to be shown on Sky? Is that a good thing, considering KO times being changed etcetera?

People always think this is a good thing, get sport on ITV/BBC but heres the probs:-

Say the bids go like this:-

Sky sports - 2 packages

ITV - 1 package

BBC - 1 package

NTL (start a new sports channel) - 2 packages

It would mean as you stated that you would need to have cable and sky to watch all the games at home. Pubs would be forced to pay more to cover the different channels (a price falling at the punter).

Potentially there could be more ppv games as all the different companies (certainly the cable ones) will try to cash in.

There also could be a conflict in kick off times:-

Sky has Arsenal v Liverpool at 4pm Sunday

NTL has Chelsea v Man Utd at 4pm Sunday

Its bad they are all on sky but at least you know where you are, pop into pub " wack Sky Sports 1 on mate" - simple! Not the game could be on one of six stations!

As for the championship, the coverage would still be the same because the audiences will always be restricted to the fans, casual viewers watch the prem games (certainly the big ones!)

You can get skysports on NTL :D

You'd still have to pay two subscriptions for them on top of your standard NTL package.

What will be interesting to see is whether Sky reduce the cost of their Sky sports package, I suspect not because I understand it there willbe more televised games this time around so Sky will probably end up showing as many as they have done. What will then happen is you will pay the same for Sky plus extra for the adiitional packages. I would suggest that the totals payout will be in excess of any current costs,

Apart from Sky losing the monopoly I can't see there being any substabtial benefit for the viewer, but we shall see.

If it means BBC1/ITV1 getting a few matches, then its got to be a good thing, but if the games are scattered across digital and PPV, its going to be a nightmare and may well drive the average armchair fan away.

In some ways, a mass switch-off by the UK viewing public would be a good thing as the Prem sponsors would flee and the whole thing might come crashing down to earth. Probably won't happen though - unfortunately.

I'm going to get Sky in the new year, mainly for the football and cricket coverage. I want to pay a flat fee per month and nowt else. If it gets all PPV on multiple channels, I'll not bother and just get the SS channels with Test cricket on.

If it means BBC1/ITV1 getting a few matches, then its got to be a good thing, but if the games are scattered across digital and PPV, its going to be a nightmare and may well drive the average armchair fan away.

In some ways, a mass switch-off by the UK viewing public would be a good thing as the Prem sponsors would flee and the whole thing might come crashing down to earth. Probably won't happen though - unfortunately.

I'm going to get Sky in the new year, mainly for the football and cricket coverage. I want to pay a flat fee per month and nowt else. If it gets all PPV on multiple channels, I'll not bother and just get the SS channels with Test cricket on.

Unfortunately or otherwise Sky have a massive worldwide audience for Premiership football, Expats and ManUtd glory hunters, a boycott would be good but less damaging than one might expect. But as you say it ain't going to happen.

I wonder how they plan to divide the games. Will they do it randomly or secretly so no-one knows what games they're getting? Will they pull matches from a hat? Or will packages with clubs like Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea in cost more? If that's the case will that just lead to the bigger clubs getting richer? I assume they won't just divide packages by months.

I wonder how they plan to divide the games. Will they do it randomly or secretly so no-one knows what games they're getting? Will they pull matches from a hat? Or will packages with clubs like Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea in cost more? If that's the case will that just lead to the bigger clubs getting richer? I assume they won't just divide packages by months.

They've been saying this since the Premiership started and it hasn't happened yet. I doubt it will happen in the next deal.

What will probably happen is that another pay per view channel (either Setanta or one based on NTL) will get at least one of the packages on offer. There may also be one given to a terrestrial channel (BBC, ITV or Five) to keep them and the European Commission sweet.

I don't think there'll be any clash of fixtures. That doesn't happen now and I assume the Premiership can stick to that.

But I can't see there being any significant savings to subscribers. Sky may be prepared to sacrifice Premiership Plus (which shows very few of the premium games anyway) but will probably seek to protect its core of matches in order to protect its subscriber base.

However, as long as the FOXES remain outside the top flight, we shouldn't be too bothered about this issue anyway!

I think they will just say have a min 6 games a season per club on tv (showing the increase they are talking about!) i per package. Then certain other games will be added to the packages increasing there value.

What's wrong with most matches kicking off at 3pm ion a Saturday afternoon, and then one televised game a week, with one home and one away game per club being shown a season, and a flat fee for that privilege.

Limiting the number of games shown would mean that there is little chance of soccer-saturation, leading to more interest in that one game, increasing advertisers exposure, increasing advertising fees, more money per game, everyone is happy, especially the fans who actually go to games, and subscribe to Sky Sports, but are unable to watch games because of travelling to/from their own games etc.

Those said to be interested:

Sky - will want to bid for 5 packages

BBc - will want to maintain their highlights package

ITV - will bid for live packages

Setanta, NTL & Five

BT, France Telecom & AOL interested to boost broadband sales.

Under the deal, the matches will be divided into six tranches of 23 games with no one broadcaster able to scoop all of the packages. The six packages will be equally balanced, ensuring an even spread of big-name clubs.

Winning bidders will then be able to distribute games as they see fit.

Well as someone who currently subscribes to Sky, this deal will make it less attractive to me and there is no way I'm gonig to consider having Ntl, Setanta, or some other Broadband supplier in order to get the whole lot. Part of the atttraction for me is that it is hassle free, it's not always down to getting it the cheapest.

So yet again the EU, like with the directory enquiries in thinking they are doing the public a favour could well end up making it worse even if we do get 23 games on ITV although I can't see even them being tossed in for free.

Thanks a bunch.

PS I'm not a fan of Sky either but at least straight forward.

Archived