Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Andy11111

What are your favourite retro games? 🖱️💾⌨️

On 10/01/2022 at 16:33, RoboFox said:

Watching back retro games I used to love is such a trigger for happy nostalgia. Absolutely transports me to simpler times. 

Too many to mention TBH. I had a NES in the early 90s which I absolutely sessioned constantly. Friends had SNES, Mega Drives and Master Systems. I'd spend many hours at their houses after school. 

Just on the NES: 

Mario 3

Nintendo World Cup

Mega Man 2

Duck Hunt

RC Pro Am

Faxanadu 

A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia

Battletoads

Some of these games were so brutally difficult too. I never ever got past the 3rd level on Battletoads. lol

Did you know that Battletoads game was made in Twycross?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Did you know that Battletoads game was made in Twycross?

I only found out relatively recently that Rare were based there, and it only occurred to me that they made Battletoads after the reboot a couple of years back. It's been a while since I played the original after all. 

It's pretty incredible that they're still going strong given that many of the developers of that era (Psygnosis, Bullfrog, Westwood, Microprose) are long defunct or were eaten up by bigger corporations. (Alright they're owned by Xbox Game Studios, but still...) 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy11111 said:

Arcade 1up have released the Simpsons, think it might be USA only though.

Mate that Simpsons was everywhere when I was younger. Used to always play it until the end. I’m sure I saw it at an arcade at Skeggy still I’m sure.

10 hours ago, chrisfox said:

Arcades:
Pac-Land
Green Beret
Outrun

C64:
California Games
The Last Ninja

Atari ST:
Lemmings
International Karate +
Kick Off 2
Thrust
Xenon II
Speedball 2

Megadrive:
Sonic the Hedgehog
John Madden (can't remember which year)
Golden Axe II
Columns

SNES:
Secret of Mana
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong Country
Pilot Wings
Flashback

Super Bomberman 2

Someone else who had an Atari ST 😱 still have mine in the attic, IK+ one the greatest games on it, wasn't kick off 2 the mega fast footy game?

1 minute ago, buzzer_b said:

Mate that Simpsons was everywhere when I was younger. Used to always play it until the end. I’m sure I saw it at an arcade at Skeggy still I’m sure.

Yeah I mean arcade 1up are a company remaking old arcades they do them in Smyth's toys, they have done a lot but most on import from the USA, they do 4 player NBA Jam, and yeah Wrestlefest is pure class, Legion of doom are rock hard.

7 hours ago, Rain King said:

Had a Mega Drive early 90s.

Used to love

European Club Soccer

Hard Drivin'

Toejam & Earl

Fifa International Soccer (running away from ref)

Double Dragon 2

Street Fighter 2

Truxton

Running away from the ref 😆 yeah I remember that, just legging it around the pitch, I liked toe jam and earl as well, didn't really know what I was doing, fun though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy11111 said:

Someone else who had an Atari ST 😱 still have mine in the attic, IK+ one the greatest games on it, wasn't kick off 2 the mega fast footy game?

Yes mate, Kick Off 2 was bonkers at time's but I preferred it to Sensible Soccer for some reason

2 hours ago, Andy11111 said:

Yeah I mean arcade 1up are a company remaking old arcades they do them in Smyth's toys, they have done a lot but most on import from the USA, they do 4 player NBA Jam, and yeah Wrestlefest is pure class, Legion of doom are rock hard.

Damn I didn’t know. Might have to take a look at that.

Now we're talking, an opportunity to bore you (for those who can be arsed to read this) all to death about me and my MiSTer.

After logging onto dodgy websites in the wee hours during lockdown, I finally got myself DE-10 kit which is a FPGA (field programmable gate-array) similar to what Analogue use for their systems (albeit a bit more "hobbyist").  These things are assembled by far more tech savvy people (mainly in Portugal for whatever reason) than I.  These FPGA are brilliant as they're microchips that can be mirror and implement varying hardware types through code meaning you can emulate multiple systems on a single microprocessor which is great as means you don't need multiple pieces of hardware.  Long story short, this can run 25 ish systems from Neo Geo, Amiga, Commodore, Atari, Gameboy and NES and more than you would care to read.

If you are curious about this thing, the wiki has way more detail than I can comprehend and provides a way better explanation than my pigeon understanding. (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki)

But back to the question...it depends on your definition of retro I guess.  A Link To The Past on SNES, Fatal Fury on Neo Geo or something like Beach Head on C64.  Populus too gets a nod for confusing me in my youth and for being a Bullfrog game. There are thousands of these old games freely available to all and I'd suggest those who are into their gaming to just spend some time trying them out.  Most are complete shit, but you get the odd gem on these platforms still.

God speed nerds.

Edited by Zear0
Oh and Battletoads...

12 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Now we're talking, an opportunity to bore you (for those who can be arsed to read this) all to death about me and my MiSTer.

After logging onto dodgy websites in the wee hours during lockdown, I finally got myself DE-10 kit which is a FPGA (field programmable gate-array) similar to what Analogue use for their systems (albeit a bit more "hobbyist").  These things are assembled by far more tech savvy people (mainly in Portugal for whatever reason) than I.  These FPGA are brilliant as they're microchips that can be mirror and implement varying hardware types through code meaning you can emulate multiple systems on a single microprocessor which is great as means you don't need multiple pieces of hardware.  Long story short, this can run 25 ish systems from Neo Geo, Amiga, Commodore, Atari, Gameboy and NES and more than you would care to read.

If you are curious about this thing, the wiki has way more detail than I can comprehend and provides a way better explanation than my pigeon understanding. (https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki)

But back to the question...it depends on your definition of retro I guess.  A Link To The Past on SNES, Fatal Fury on Neo Geo or something like Beach Head on C64.  Populus too gets a nod for confusing me in my youth and for being a Bullfrog game. There are thousands of these old games freely available to all and I'd suggest those who are into their gaming to just spend some time trying them out.  Most are complete shit, but you get the odd gem on these platforms still.

God speed nerds.

You mean emulators? When I think retro I'm talking probably anything before a PS1/N64

18 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Damn I didn’t know. Might have to take a look at that.

They also do street fighter 2, mortal Kombat and a couple more at Smyth's, imported ones are obviously more expensive but you can get outrun with the steering wheel. They are flat packed, easy to move about, think they are about 4 foot, but you usually get a riser that it stands on to make it 5 foot, Smyth's around £300-350 but it's worth checking eBay for second hand ones.

• Thanks 1