Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Andy11111

What are your favourite retro games? 🖱️💾⌨️

1 hour ago, Andy11111 said:

Not sure if I'd class it has retro, bloody good game tho', only ever played on multiplayer, was rubbish at it, but still fun.

Lol it's over 20years old.

We're old. 

00 mode was insanely difficult

In fairness, some people would consider PS2 games retro. It just makes me despondent. 

I don't know why but I find immense joy and comfort watching videos of the games I'd play in my adolescence. I sessioned so many of them that they're absolutely ingrained in my psyche - the music especially. It's an absolute nostalgia trip to a better, simpler time in life. An utterly carefree existence.

The other week I sat in the bath with a glass of wine watching a long play of Mega Man 2. It was bliss. lol

Edited by RoboFox

I can't remember what system it was on but my mate used to play games called Dizzy, Roland on the Ropes and Harrier Attack.

I used to be in awe of them when I went around to his house. I know it used to be on a tape.

Not sure what system it was, the first I had was a Mega Drive.

56 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I can't remember what system it was on but my mate used to play games called Dizzy, Roland on the Ropes and Harrier Attack.

I used to be in awe of them when I went around to his house. I know it used to be on a tape.

Not sure what system it was, the first I had was a Mega Drive.

Pretty sure we had Roland on the Ropes on the Amstrad CPC464 - the CPC464 sure was a sexy beast lol

image.jpeg.8f7fd60cbb8e2fb2d2751db4ce1c8481.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Love/Hate relationship with this game - music causes actual physiological damage after a while  lol

You've just reminded me I made a full rom hack of this (Master System) when I was about 13, renamed it "Piss-streak Shithole", turned the rainbows into urine and made all the collectibles into drugs paraphernalia and used condoms. Wish I still had that ROM, it was a work of art

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Andy11111 said:

Green screen 😭 I I'm sure you could get a adaptor that allowed you to plug into a colour tv

Indeed you could! Full on PAL magnificence!  lol

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Older people might not like it but the original PlayStation is pretty much retor now, I'd consider anything over 20 years old retro, 1994 is retro to me, though I don't know the definition of the word. 

Well the thing that annoys me is the meaning of the word retro is it means things that are made to look old, when people say "retro gaming" they really mean "vintage gaming" or "historic gaming"

The best actual retro game (that I've played) is The Messenger, which on screenshots looks like a NES game but was made in 2018. I know someone who worked on Micro Mages, that looks great (an actual NES game also released in 2018)

In regards to interpretation, early PS1 is definitely in the category of historic gaming now... But if I was choosing my favourite old games I'd probably use the switch from 16 to 32-bit consoles as the cut-off, because it was such a massive leap, when hardware suddenly became much less of an issue for most developers, and they weren't relying on coding tricks to pull off the simplest effects on screen

Not necessarily my favourite old games, but some I remember really fondly:

Master System - Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Sonic 2, Kung Fu Kid

NES - SMB2, SMB3 (still holds up incredibly well)

Gameboy - Zelda: Link's Awakening (original), Super Mario Land 2, Donkey Kong 94*

Megadrive - Streets of Rage 1 + 2, Lost Vikings, Sonic 1, Gunstar Heroes 

SNES - SMW, Zelda Link to the Past, Unirally, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Donkey Kong Country, Theme Park

Amiga - Lemmings, Fast Food Dizzy, Nightbreed Interactive Movie

MS DOS - Commander Keen 4, Doom, Descent, Prince of Persia 

Arcade - Street Fighter 2 Turbo**, TMNT, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Realise I'm breaking my own rules by including Descent, but that was such a massive "wow" moment playing a fully polygonal FPS with 360° movement in 1995. I could list a whole load of Windows and PS1 games I consider great, but I won't!

*I think Donkey Kong 94 was officially just titled Donkey Kong, but it was way more than just another DK game, great platformer and I believe the first Mario game to include the somersault.

**Subsequent Street Fighters (iterations of 2 and beyond) are better games, but don't feel as "retro". Plus if I open my interpretation to over 20 years old, I'd probably just be listing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 as I genuinely believe they are far and away the greatest examples of gameplay masterpieces ever made and everything else basically becomes null and void

I can't go any further into the past than the Sega Master System/NES - I had friends with a Commodore 64, but waiting 5 minutes for the damn thing to load from a cassette so we could play Frankie Goes to Hollywood (which was crrrap) was not a fond gaming memory. Elite looked like a masterpiece, however I never saw it at the time it was originally around

Don't think I've ever really enjoyed any of the Spectrum/Atari/etc or 1970's-mid 1980's arcade games I've played, while I appreciate they were laying the foundations, hardly any of them stand up gameplay-wise today

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Well the thing that annoys me is the meaning of the word retro is it means things that are made to look old, when people say "retro gaming" they really mean "vintage gaming" or "historic gaming"

The best actual retro game (that I've played) is The Messenger, which on screenshots looks like a NES game but was made in 2018. I know someone who worked on Micro Mages, that looks great (an actual NES game also released in 2018)

In regards to interpretation, early PS1 is definitely in the category of historic gaming now... But if I was choosing my favourite old games I'd probably use the switch from 16 to 32-bit consoles as the cut-off, because it was such a massive leap, when hardware suddenly became much less of an issue for most developers, and they weren't relying on coding tricks to pull off the simplest effects on screen

Gameboy - Zelda: Link's Awakening (original), Super Mario Land 2, Donkey Kong 94*

SNES - SMW, Zelda Link to the Past, Unirally, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Donkey Kong Country, Theme Park

Realise I'm breaking my own rules by including Descent, but that was such a massive "wow" moment playing a fully polygonal FPS with 360° movement in 1995. I could list a whole load of Windows and PS1 games I consider great, but I won't!

*I think Donkey Kong 94 was officially just titled Donkey Kong, but it was way more than just another DK game, great platformer and I believe the first Mario game to include the somersault.

**Subsequent Street Fighters (iterations of 2 and beyond) are better games, but don't feel as "retro". Plus if I open my interpretation to over 20 years old, I'd probably just be listing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 as I genuinely believe they are far and away the greatest examples of gameplay masterpieces ever made and everything else basically becomes null and void

I can't go any further into the past than the Sega Master System/NES - I had friends with a Commodore 64, but waiting 5 minutes for the damn thing to load from a cassette so we could play Frankie Goes to Hollywood (which was crrrap) was not a fond gaming memory. Elite looked like a masterpiece, however I never saw it at the time it was originally around

Don't think I've ever really enjoyed any of the Spectrum/Atari/etc or 1970's-mid 1980's arcade games I've played, while I appreciate they were laying the foundations, hardly any of them stand up gameplay-wise today

Arcade games were great, as for 5 mins waiting for a commodore game, wasn't it more like 20 😀

1 minute ago, Andy11111 said:

Arcade games were great, as for 5 mins waiting for a commodore game, wasn't it more like 20 😀

Probably lol I remember at the time (1991-ish) most of my friends had a Master System or a NES, one or two of the richer kids at school had a Megadrive, so going round this friend's house and witnessing him typing into this beige keyboard to load up a game and him telling us we had to wait a few minutes... It felt like I was suddenly in the third world! Add to that it wouldn't even load a lot of the time. Just chuck it in the bin!

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Probably lol I remember at the time (1991-ish) most of my friends had a Master System or a NES, one or two of the richer kids at school had a Megadrive, so going round this friend's house and witnessing him typing into this beige keyboard to load up a game and him telling us we had to wait a few minutes... It felt like I was suddenly in the third world! Add to that it wouldn't even load a lot of the time. Just chuck it in the bin!

I remember there being some cartridge games for the c64, the only ones I remember was a footy game and Terminator 2.

15 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Now that game takes me back to being a kid. Might look on Youtube to see if there is a playthrough and watch it lol 

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

Now that game takes me back to being a kid. Might look on Youtube to see if there is a playthrough and watch it lol 

I remember playing Alex Kidd (the original release) when I used to babysit my cousin, she's 36 this year...:o...depressing.:D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I remember playing Alex Kidd (the original release) when I used to babysit my cousin, she's 36 this year...:o...depressing.:D

Yeah I wanted to list Miracle World as it was the first game I ever played and I seem to remember it being really good, but when the remaster came out it highlighted how poor the basic control was, all floaty. It was nice that there was a SMB clone that actually did something different but it doesn't hold up today. Shinobi World however still plays really well, even though it was never intended to be an Alex Kidd game until late in development

On 02/02/2022 at 14:47, Dahnsouff said:

Love/Hate relationship with this game - music causes actual physiological damage after a while  lol

Used to love it when you got the triple rainbow 😀 I'm sure this was a sequel to bubble bobble, a bit tricky at first but once u got the hang of it.

• Like 1