Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Is there a daily limit on postings?

• 4 months later...

Think any banned members should receive valid reasons as to why they are so.

I don't particularly agree that the moderators in general have favourites on this forum and those that they dislike.

The former seems to be the main issue, with regards to bans/posting limits on certain threads - it seems?

Edited by Wymsey

9 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I don't particularly agree that the moderators in general have favourites on this forum and those that they dislike.

This seems to be the main issue with regards to bans/posting limits on certain threads, it seems?

I’m sure most banned members - if honest with themselves, know exactly why they get banned.

12 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Lol. Good luck with that.

12 hours ago, marbles said:

I’m sure most banned members - if honest with themselves, know exactly why they get banned.

Oh, some of them have a pretty good idea.

12 hours ago, Wymsey said:

the moderators in general have favourites on this forum and those that they dislike

This is certainly (and inevitably, given how the place works) part of it.

But then, being heartily disliked by some of the mods on here is nothing to be ashamed of.

Seems utterly pointless to restrict someone and not tell them why. How on earth are they going to change if it is deemed that they did something inappropriate? 

Not everyone is aware that what they have posted is deemed an issue.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Correct. They happen to have failed to second guess the mindset of someone they've never met. 

I’m sure that what it is.

Its never the name calling, insulting remarks or purposely trying to incite arguments.

I imagine there are times when people are genuinely dumbfounded as to why they were banned - but I also feel like there have been a good majority of bans that were justified.

Edited by marbles

33 minutes ago, marbles said:

I’m sure that what it is.

Its never the name calling, insulting remarks or purposely trying to incite arguments.

I imagine there are times when people are genuinely dumbfounded as to why they were banned - but I also feel like there have been a good majority of bans that were justified.

And plenty of people that indulge in the above-mentioned appear to never get banned - that's the point.

• Like 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

And plenty of people that indulge in the above-mentioned appear to never get banned - that's the point.

Fair enough

Guess I was only looking at one part - that being banned posters know why, but would rather plead ignorance.  
Forgot about the other part and the fact that some people seemingly get away with the exact same nonsense.

2 minutes ago, marbles said:

Fair enough

Guess I was only looking at one part - that being banned posters know why, but would rather plead ignorance.  
Forgot about the other part and the fact that some people seemingly get away with the exact same nonsense.

Thus, it becomes a question of sympathy from the mods to the basic premise behind the abuse.

Also, if I stand my ground in an argument, but my angle is unpopular, am I therefore a troublemaker? I think not, but doing so often has led me into problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thus, it becomes a question of sympathy from the mods to the basic premise behind the abuse.

Also, if I stand my ground in an argument, but my angle is unpopular, am I therefore a troublemaker? I think not, but doing so often has led me into problems.

Didn’t you face issues over the cancer debate?   If so, you should not have.  That was ridiculous.

I think standing your ground in an argument can be tricky. 
Is the argument obviously getting completely out of control?

Is it becoming evident that one person is simply trying to get a bad reaction from others, rather than honestly defending a position?

Is everything an argument?

Not saying those are what you do @HighPeakFox,  just questions I would ask in reference to someone defending themselves.

For me, I would think the best thing to do would be if the mods could temp ban (say around 30-60 min) anyone involved in an argument that’s gotten ridiculous.  Everyone.  Not just one person.

That would give time for cooler heads to prevail.  Then if someone acts back up after the time out - that’s who needs the ban

I did yes.

I have asked for clarification over the warning points system - one is told that they can never be rescinded. One is NOT told how many one can accumulate before it means something, or causes the next level of punishment. I have not had an answer, which rather begs the question.

I think that is extremely poor.

• Like 4