Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FLAN

Trip to Amsterdam

Would recommend the DoubleTree Centraal Station, the location was convenient for an weekend and the hotels great too with its own rooftop bar. 

Would also recommend a place around to corner to eat there Grand Cafe 1884 and Omlegg was decent too for breakfast/lunch

Edited by vandamman
  • Like 1

Drinking, we tend to focus on brown bars or wander until we find something quirky. I prefer those that aren’t popular so they aren’t heaving.

Eating, I’m fascinated by the places with food machines and enjoy chips & fritesauce - we’ve never dined there as such in 20+ visits. Well, apart from at friends’ places. Tend to grab something from a bar or drop into one of the many curry houses. Late night bakeries are lethal if you suffer from beer-induced munchies.

• Like 1

Head a couple of stops out on the metro and get yourself to waterlooplien and head to the 3 sisters for some decent ish cheaper food. We used it twice in jan. 

And depending on how much you want to travel locally, get yourself an OV chipenkaart and just add €20 euros or something you can then jump on and off any metro. Trams etc and it tells you how much you have used when you check out as you exit the transport, you can top up at any machines if required.

Also depending on what you are going out for. Check out the fixtures and if ajax are at home go to the ground and see if they are selling neutral tickets. These are essentially in the away end if the away side hasn't taken the whole end. You can get a bargain sometimes. I paid 9 euros to watch them a few years ago.

• Like 1

I've lost count of the times I've been to Amsterdam - well into double figures.  From camping through to 5 star hotels.

The Hoxton Hotel was easily the best hotel for quality & location but it cost a small fortune.

The last time we went we stayed in an apartment. (Jewel Apartments)  Absolutely fantastic.  As central as you could possibly want, canal view & very reasonably priced.  I can't remember the details but we booked through their website & when it came to paying, we were sent an email saying if we paid cash when we arrived it would be cheaper.  Sounded dodgy & we weren't sure when we turned up we actually had somewhere to stay.  It went fine & we saved about a third off of the price.  If/when we go back - it will be definitely be there.

Stayed at the Sir Albert Hotel in the De Pijp area (near Heineken Experience).  Nice area but too far out when you've had a few.

Leidesplein & Rembrandtplein for drinking/eating - not that I've ever eaten at a fancy restaurant.  The missus eats like an 8 year old......burger & chips.

I like drinking/hanging out around De 9 Straatjes - close to Anne Frank's house.  Nice eateries, a bit more civilised & plenty of small bars selling decent Dutch/Belgian beers.

Boat hire is a good thing to do.  Small boats with an outboard motor that hold about 8 people.  Quite expensive but if there's enough of you to fill a boat, about £15/20 each.

Boerejongens or Grey Area (if that's your thing)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got back yesterday. As mentioned in the Your Last Pint thread, my chief recommendations for drinks (some also do food) would be the typical Dutch pubs or "brown cafes" as they're known due to their brown interior and sometimes exterior too. Proper friendly locals places that aren't tourist traps but can be found all around. They were really rammed on Sunday when Ajax were playing but very chilled at other times. The ones we visited were t'Apejen (historic place tucked away on the walk from Centraal station to the red light district) and Cafe Van Beeren in the centre, and Cafe Mulder and Le Patron at Vijzelgracht - both handy if you're doing the Heineken brewery.

The Rembrantplein area was bouncing on Saturday night. Ended up in a gay bar with my missus, sister-in-law and her friend chatting at length to some Danish lesbians who were Kasper Schmeichel's number one fans. Remember little else apart from that.

The food isn't amazing compared to other capital cities but you can't go wrong with chips and mayo stands. Recommend Mannekin Pis near Centraal and Bob's Snacks at the Albert Kuypmarkt market, which is also well worth a walk around.

I tend to stay in apartments near Vondelpark nowadays. There’s quite a few in that area (hotels too) and decent prices as a short tram ride out of city centre. Still close enough to walk in if you wanted to.

Also not too far from Leidseplein & Rembrandtplien for nightlife/bars/rests etc

Cau - Decent Argentinian steakhouse 

O’reillys Irish Pub - Dam Square, decent beer/food and shows sports.

I need another trip… it’s been a while now!