Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mozartfox

1984 what a great year for Music compared to today?

On 25/05/2023 at 19:12, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe this thread should go to the "Music" topic but it would be largely bypassed if it did. 

So many people dismiss hard/heavy rock as a load of loud, shouty stuff with no actual meaning or emotion.

When one actually listens to the lyrics there's a lot of deep stuff in there.

One that particularly springs to mind is Black Sabbath, 

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Maybe this thread should go to the "Music" topic but it would be largely bypassed if it did. 

So many people dismiss hard/heavy rock as a load of loud, shouty stuff with no actual meaning or emotion.

When one actually listens to the lyrics there's a lot of deep stuff in there.

One that particularly springs to mind is Black Sabbath, 

1984 though?

The words to Perfect Strangers are an absolute wonder to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

1984 though?

The words to Perfect Strangers are an absolute wonder to me.

Yes. I agree.

Like all art, it's subjective and open to interpretation. 

So many songs are "wonderful" in their own right. Even Greensleeves way back to Henry VIII.

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Julio Iglesais & Willie Nelson – To All The Girls I’ve Loved Before

Gary Glitter - Another Rock and Roll Christmas

Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is 

Black Lace - Agadoo

Really?

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Really?

No... its an attempt to suggest that, there is good and bad in any year.

Its very easy to pick a year and pull out the good bits... but never forget this sort crap exists in every year too

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 19:12, HighPeakFox said:

Amazing that the classic/definitive Mk.2 line up not only managed to reform, record and tour this, but also subsequently reconvene with 'House of the Blue Light' given Gillan and Blackmore's detestation of each other. Saw the 'comeback' concert at Knebworth on the back of this. The thing I recall most is the mud and rain and how unexpectedly good Leslie West/Mountain were. 

RIP Jon Lord. 

52 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Amazing that the classic/definitive Mk.2 line up not only managed to reform, record and tour this, but also subsequently reconvene with 'House of the Blue Light' given Gillan and Blackmore's detestation of each other. Saw the 'comeback' concert at Knebworth on the back of this. The thing I recall most is the mud and rain and how unexpectedly good Leslie West/Mountain were. 

RIP Jon Lord. 

I gather they did OK for the first album and tour, and then Blackmore wanted it all his own way again thereafter. They did record one more album with that line up, a remarkable effort given that Gillan had to sing over recorded tracks designed for another singer.

I was too young for Knebworth but my brother went. Seen them numerous times since, 1993 in Manchester was stunning, but the best I saw was in 1998 with Morse, again in Manchester, to a largely empty MEN Arena, and it was off-the-chart gobsmacking.

I miss Jon Lord so much, what a musician he was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozleicester said:

No... its an attempt to suggest that, there is good and bad in any year.

Its very easy to pick a year and pull out the good bits... but never forget this sort crap exists in every year too

It wasn't the music I was referring to. But I guess we never knew then what we know now. Same with Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville etc

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Although he ended up a perv, I thought his music was good.

Yeah, being a perv doesn't make you a bad musician, singer or whatever. It's just that the perv is what he is best remembered for.