Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Chalk and Cheese but Side by Side - the Astonishing Parallels in the Stories of Two Great Leicester Managers

1 hour ago, kushiro said:

Yes - that's really what the teams were called - both named after flowers. It was a tradition in Scotland. There were many teams called  'bluebell' and 'violet', and others were called 'primrose', and of course 'thistle' (it's very difficult to find a definitive explanation for this - perhaps foxestalk's Scotland correspondent @Vacamion could offer an opinion?)

Not a clue  :D

Naming conventions up here are noticeably different, there are more clubs where their name doesn't give any clue where they are from (Raith Rovers, Albion Rovers, St Johnstone, Queen Of The South, The Spartans) - or even, like (Woolwich) Arsenal a clue that they have moved since they were formed (Partick Thistle).

You've got some exotically named clubs in the lower reaches, of which my favourites are probably Auchinleck Talbot, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and Irvine Meadow (at whose ground a blind elderly lady with a foul temper once smacked me with her white stick, but that's another story).

As for flowers, there's no puffed-up masculinity attached to club names - I know a guy who used to go and watch Linlithgow Rose FC, and their song (to the tune of "glory, glory hallelujah" / "stop the bus I want a wee wee",  depending on your mood) was "Hail, the gallant Rosie Posie"  lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I know a guy who used to go and watch Linlithgow Rose FC, and their song (to the tune of "glory, glory hallelujah" / "stop the bus I want a wee wee",  depending on your mood) was "Hail, the gallant Rosie Posie"  lol

Marvelous. I'm gonna be singing that all night.

1980/81. The only time Gordon Milne and Jock Wallace faced each other as managers, with Milne's Coventry beating Jock's Leicester twice, helping to send us down.

In that season, which player scored most goals against us? 

It was one of Milne's Sky Blues, and you might recognise him in the photos below. Here are the four goals he scored against us:

eng-12.png

eng-34.png

Recognise the Leicester players failing to stop him? Mark Wallington, Larry May, Tommy Williams and John O'Neill.

The sharp shooter is of course Tommy English, the man Milne brought to Leicester two seasons later, swapping him for Jim Melrose. 

The top picture is him scoring at Filbert Street in a 3-1 win in October, and he's wearing not sky blue but the famous brown kit, the next three are his hattrick at Highfield Road in a 4-1 win in March.

Here's the video of the first game, which also includes Gary Lineker's first ever goal in the top flight:

Fond memories of that time, Jock being the manager when I first went to Filbert St, football was so different back then, unrecognisable from the game we see today.

I enjoyed the Milne period, top flight football and a fantastic front 3 of Lynex Lineker and A Smith, we always seemed to be a couple of players short of being a really good side something which the Shipman’s took a lot of stick for.

As for signing Tom English, that didn’t work out well at all.

• Like 1

One of my earliest football memories was seeing some Jock Wallace graffiti on the Swain St Bridge…. I don’t recall exactly what it said?

My first ever match was ‘81…. So I’d have seen Jocks side I guess:.. not that I recall remembering managers or feeling they were significant at the time!!!

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I enjoyed the Milne period, top flight football and a fantastic front 3 of Lynex Lineker and A Smith

I didn't mention in the 1982/83 thread last week that the man responsible for that attacking formation was not Milne, but his assistant Gerry Summers. When he joined the staff in October 1982,  He saw the potential in Alan, Gary and myself and we adapted a way of playing, geared to attack’. That's Lynex speaking.

Summers should get more recognition for that. Though he was no doubt happy that an earlier moment in his career also went largely unnoticed.

He was the villain in 1961 when playing for Sheffield United against us in the FA Cup Semi-Final. His awful challenge on Gordon Wills led to him being stretchered off and missing the Cup Final v Spurs. His culpability wasn't reported on at the time. It's only later analysis of the match highlights that brought it to light.

Here's the tackle (with the ball nowhere to be seen), and the aftermath:

Summers-on-Wills-1961-2.png

Mirror-Mar-20th-1961.jpg

• 1 month later...

This needs an update following the publication of Gordon's book.

I didn't know when I posted this that Gordon and Jock were really good friends, and Jock would often head over to Highfield Road with Assistant Manager Ian MacFarlane for a chat when he was boss at Filbert Street. 

Gordon recalls Jock's knock on his door as 'like a sledgehammer' and that his two guests would then enter the room, making him feel 'like the KGB were in town'. Then Jock would shake Gordon's hand and he'd feel like he'd got 'three broken fingers'. 

Marvelous stuff.

It brings to mind that character from the 80s TV series 'Boys From The Blackstuff'  - 'Shake Hands':

shake-hands.png

The book's full of great passages like that (it's an excellent choice for a Christmas present for those struggling for ideas).

• Like 1