Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Seeking advice on housing for my aging Dad!

So my dad is in  his mid 70s. He's at that age where his body is failing him a little bit ( he uses a mobility scooter) but he remains fiercely independent. He has decided that living with family is not an option for him and we have to respect that.

He lives out in Coalville but would like to move closer to family into the City of Leicester and the Glenfield Hospital due to his heart problems. He already has a small 1 bedroom ' council bungalow' in Coalville and so the City Council have told him he's not a priority as he already has safe and warm accommodation. Fair enough really.

He's looking for either a 1 bedroom bungalow, or he'd accept a  warden assisted place where he can still cook for himself and somewhere that would let him keep his small dog. He'd rather be homeless than be separated from his dog. He still wants to drive and visit people and wants somewhere he can take his dog outside.. and ideally wants to dig a small hole, rest for 5 minutes and have a cupper, plant a small plant, rest for 5 minutes and finish his cuppa. pull a weed or two, rest have a cuppa.. and repeat the cycle.

What are his options? he won't make it on to  a city council list and he really wants a place where he can go outside.. He's ex-armed forces and he'd rather drive off a bridge than give up his independence...

If anyone has any advice on where we can look or any warden assisted or independent ground floor flats in the area, id be grateful to know of them!

https://watermeadview.co.uk/

Something along the lines of a retirement apartment like this would probably suit. 

Obviously not the right location just popping it here for the idea. Damn things go for north of £200k a pop though. 

Sounds like you're having the same issues I had with my grandad. Steadfast refused to give up his independence and get help when he needed it. We never found a solution he'd accept before he left. Really hope someone has a better idea. 

51 minutes ago, MPH said:

He still wants to drive and visit people and wants somewhere he can take his dog outside.. and ideally wants to dig a small hole, rest for 5 minutes and have a cupper, plant a small plant, rest for 5 minutes and finish his cuppa. pull a weed or two, rest have a cuppa.. and repeat the cycle.

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about the dog lol

Sorry I can't help much, although if he was ever in the hosiery business there's this place in Oadby.

https://www.frameworkknitters.co.uk/cottage-homes

Run by a charitable organisation for ex-hosiery workers.

Aside from this I know there are plenty of warden assisted flats in and around where I work (Wigston), though I couldn't recommend nor deter you from any. I just know they exist, so should be options aplenty.

Try typing warden assisted housing in Leicester and a few came up. My Grandma lived in Milton House in her final years.

Retirement flats are normally cheap to buy if he has a budget for that which doesn't sound likely. If you consider this route beware of service charges including ones that continue after death. (McCarthy&Stone).