Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Arsenal set for £15m Walcott deal

A loan move back to Southampton would be good for him. But Wenger knows how to deal with youngsters (although his record with English ones isn't too impressive), and I think he definately would get more games there than had he gone to Chelsea. A taylor made replacement for Henry.

I do think a law should be made that so that no player under 18 can move clubs (unless they've been released)

A loan move back to Southampton would be good for him. But Wenger knows how to deal with youngsters (although his record with English ones isn't too impressive), and I think he definately would get more games there than had he gone to Chelsea. A taylor made replacement for Henry.

I do think a law should be made that so that no player under 18 can move clubs (unless they've been released)

yes he will definitley get mor egames at arsenal as Wright-phillips barely gets played he is quality just needs playing every week!

Players like Henry will be very infuluential in the rest of his career

The latest seems to be that Southampton have actually accepted the financial offer.

The sticking point seems to be over whether or not he is loaned back. Arsenal would prefer to keep him but Saints want him loaned back for the rest of the season.

I've heard rumours that Arsenal are ready to offer a comprimise that he is allowed to stay to play in the Carling Cup semi next week...... but I'm not sure how true that is as I would assume he played some part for Saints in the competition and therefore would be cup tied.....???

But its done and dusted. the poor kid is about to destory his life.

Arsenal complete Walcott transfer

Walcott's move has finally gone through

Arsenal have completed the signing of Southampton striker Theo Walcott.

The highly-rated 16-year-old is moving to Arsenal for a fee that is expected to be worth an initial £5m, but rising to about £12.5m.

Walcott said: "I am so pleased to be joining Arsenal - a club I have admired for a long time.

"Coming to Arsenal will give me the opportunity to work with world-class players every day and play football at the highest possible level."

Walcott was unveiled alongside Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger at Arsenal's training ground in London Colney, Hertfordshire, on Friday.

The striker added: "It is a strange day because I am also very sad to be moving from Southampton.

"I am leaving many friends and some great coaches who have been so important to my career so far, but I leave with many great memories from the club.

"I am now really looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and working hard as an Arsenal player."

Wenger is a huge admirer of the youngster and said he had tracked the player for more than two years.

He was delighted to have beaten off interest from Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham and Liverpool to his signing.

He said: "Theo Walcott is a very young player, but has already shown in his performances for Southampton that he is a talented player with huge potential.

"I also like the fact that he is a versatile player who is incredibly dedicated, shows great determination to succeed and is blessed with electric pace.

We have done everything to keep Theo at Southampton

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe

"We are delighted Theo has signed for the club and will make a fantastic addition to our squad.

"There is always a gamble when you take young players. But I was ready to take that gamble.

"We did things properly with Southampton, then the agents, the family, the player.

"He made his decision and we would have respected whatever he decided but we were keen to get him.

"He is comparable to Wayne (Rooney) at his age. You have to be cautious with comparisons.

"Rooney has made big steps forward and justified what people said about him and I feel Theo can do the same."

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe told the club's website: "We are bitterly disappointed. The purpose of developing the best Academy in the country is not to sell scholars to larger clubs.

"We have done everything to keep Theo at Southampton. But his family and advisors are determined that he leave this club and go to Arsenal.

BBC Sport revealed on 13 January that Arsenal would be coming in with a big bid for Walcott, prompting Wenger to admit later that day that he was an admirer of the teenager's precocious talent.

He also let slip last weekend that a deal was almost done.

Referring to new arrivals Emmanuel Abedayor and Abo Diaby, he said Arsenal had signed "three players" but then changed that to "two-and-a-half".

Asked if he was referring to Walcott, the Arsenal manager said: "I would like to tell you."

Walcott is an exciting prospect but paying so much is risky

From KH

Have your say on 606

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp, who gave Walcott his debut during his time at Southampton, believes Arsenal are getting a player of huge potential but warned against comparisons with Thierry Henry.

"The kid can run through puddles and not make a splash," he told the BBC. "He's lightning, he drifts over the ground and he's a fantastic talent. Wherever he goes I'm sure he's got a great future.

"Henry is as fantastic a footballer as you'll ever see and I hope this kid can go on and be a top player as well.

"But he is a million miles from Thierry Henry and if he ever gets anywhere near his standard he will be one of the best players we've ever seen in this country.

"He's got a long way to go to get there but, please God, he becomes a top player which I'm sure he can do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/4614538.stm

That's probably the last we'll see of him for a couple of years apart from the odd cup game, he should have stayed at Southampton for a year or two, but money talks.

On a similar subject whatever happened to S Wright-Philips?

Walcott will play at Arsenal, perhaps not straight awy but within a year. The media pressure on Wenger will mean he'll have to play him and rightly so.This lad is atlented, whether he's Rooney standards is debatable but at 16 he's already frightening. Should make it abit easier next saturday then.

Archived