Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Arsenal set for £15m Walcott deal

Arsenal set for £15m Walcott deal

Arsenal are set to win the £15m race for Southampton teenager Theo Walcott, BBC Sport understands.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe was at Arsenal's training ground on Thursday and it is believed that a deal for the 16-year-old striker was agreed.

The fee could rise to £15m, and might involve Walcott being loaned back to Southampton, or current Gunners players switching to the south coast.

Chelsea are still interested, but it is understood the player prefers Arsenal.

The Stamford Bridge club have even told Saints they will better any offer made by their London rivals for a player regarded as the best of his age in the country.

But Walcott sees his future with Arsene Wenger at Highbury.

Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe had previously said he could not give any "copper-bottom" guarantees that Walcott will stay.

Walcott's agent Colin Gordon told BBC Sport: "Our only concern is Theo's best interest and development as a player."

The striker has a pre-contract agreement with the Saints to sign a professional contract on his 17th birthday in March.

But Lowe added: "In the same way that supporters have jobs and sometimes move on, if he feels he is better served by a move then that is a matter for him.

"We hope that we are the right club to give him the right career path to progress. If he feels that then I'm sure he will stay.

"We want to get the best from him and for him to progress and flourish here, as he has done so far.

"But if at any stage he wants to go, then that will be a matter for him and his advisors and those he talks to."

Walcott does seem an intelligent lad, and this is probably the best move for him with regards to big clubs. Wenger's style would suit his style, whereas Mourinho wouldn't play him, and Ferguson would turn him into a holding midfielder.

The good thing is he'll be able to stay at Southampton for a bit hopefully, until he is ready to walk into the Arsenal first team. Smith and Walcott, their going to have two deadly wingers!

It'll probably start at about £5M up front, with hundreds of add-on and sell-on clauses. I don't think any Championship club could turn their noses up at that.

It's a pity it's not a club like Crewe or Burnley getting the money, rather than Rupert Lowe - if it's true, that is.

It'll probably start at about £5M up front, with hundreds of add-on and sell-on clauses. I don't think any Championship club could turn their noses up at that.

It's a pity it's not a club like Crewe or Burnley getting the money, rather than Rupert Lowe - if it's true, that is.

I know we had him under control in the league game, but still don't like the loan back part of the deal!

If I remember he seemed to have single-handedly got them through the last round.(even if it was only the MK Dons)

Looks like Theo Walcott is set to leave Southampton. Could be good news for when we play them in the cup! Although from the looks of it he isn't going cheap. Fee could raise to 9 Million!!!

Source

ok when they came to us, i didnt think he was that special, definatly not worth 9 million anyways! yeh he is talented, but not worth that yet!

You have to pay for potential these days.

Yes if I remember they payed somthing stupid like that for Jeffers, that wasn't to clever was it.

He might not look that special Holly, but he's 16 playing regular championship football.

can only be good news for us if they sell him, leaves them with even fewer options up front. They may bring some more players in but they will more then likely be cup tied :cool:

Two things:

First I am shocked that they've actually bought an English Player!!!! (Perhaps Arsene thinks Theo is a greek U19 player!)

Secondly, although he was very quick at the Walkers he spent most of the game being offside!! Maybe he can learn with age, but £15 million....

Two things:

First I am shocked that they've actually bought an English Player!!!! (Perhaps Arsene thinks Theo is a greek U19 player!)

Secondly, although he was very quick at the Walkers he spent most of the game being offside!! Maybe he can learn with age, but £15 million....

You can't judge a player on one game, just look at DeVries (spurs fans think he's worth 5Mil)

Has the world gone mad. He's not even remotely worth that sort of money. £1 million tops.

Yeah but everone's looking for the next : Giggs, Beckham, Henry, Rooney... etc... I mean what's Rooney worth now!!!

But then again they paid abou £2mil for Pennant at 15 and look how well that's worked out!!

He's gonna be an awesome player in the future.

Arsenal have done well to land him , there was something about him when i saw him against us , something that makes him special , I was'nt sure what it was , but I could see it.

:blink:

I'm just amazed by the fact that for some people, money seems to flow like nothing. I mean, up to 15 million pounds for ONE single player?

Next thing they do is signing babies before they're even born (with the consent of the mother, of course).

He's getting closer...

Wenger drops big hint on Walcott

Theo Walcott looks to be on the verge of joining Arsenal, after Gunners boss Arsene Wenger let slip that a deal was almost complete.

Wenger said he had made three January signings, but corrected himself when it was pointed out he has only officially bought Abo Diaby and Emmanuel Abedayor.

He said: "Sorry, two!" Then Wenger added: "Sorry, two-and-a-half."

Asked if he was referring to Walcott, the Arsenal manager said: "I would like to tell you."

Earlier in the week, Wenger confirmed he was an admirer of Walcott's precocious talent.

"He's a player we rate," said Wenger.

"I rate him personally and we are looking at him, yes.

"Ideally we would want Theo to join us straight away. But it would not be a deal-breaker if Southampton say they want him to finish the season there."

Southampton boss George Burley said he was in the dark about Walcott's future, but said he would love to hold on to the youngster.

"We want to keep him for as long as possible"

"I don't know what will happen tomorrow," said Burley.

"I won't guarantee anything, but as far as I'm aware, nothing has changed. We're planning ahead with Theo at the club.

"He's done very well for us and we want to keep him for as long as possible.

"He's a fantastic talent. When you've got a talent like that there is always going to be speculation but the kid handles it well - he's experienced it for the past six months."

Southampton are reported to be interested in a deal in which Walcott would be signed by Arsenal and then immediately loaned back to them for the rest of the season.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe is known to have been at Arsenal's training ground last week, but he has said he was not there to discuss Walcott.

Lowe has also said he would like to retain Walcott.

Walcott, who has a pre-contract agreement with the Saints to sign a professional contract on his 17th birthday in March, has scored five goals in 12 starts for Southampton this season.

Archived