Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Head Honcho

Stay up at all costs

How many of you out there would be happy for us to go out there and resort to hoofball for the rest of the season, as long as it meant staying in this league?

I know we resorted to it on Saturday with the midfield looking like "Billy No Mates" but I don't think that is what they set out to do, they just fell into it as usual!

.........but what if for the rest of the season, they set their stall out, to play the long ball from the off, how many of you would be happy with that, as long as we stayed up?

Warning! Your previous posts are on record and may be used against you as evidence :D

How many of you out there would be happy for us to go out there and resort to hoofball for the rest of the season, as long as it meant staying in this league?

I know we resorted to it on Saturday with the midfield looking like "Billy No Mates" but I don't think that is what they set out to do, they just fell into it as usual!

.........but what if for the rest of the season, they set their stall out, to play the long ball from the off, how many of you would be happy with that, as long as we stayed up?

Warning! Your previous posts are on record and may be used against you as evidence :D

We don't have the player for it now though IMO. Maybe more direct football but not MA style hoofing.

We don't have the player for it now though IMO. Maybe more direct football but not MA style hoofing.

You are spot on. We don't have the players for hoofball. Even DeVries, big as he is, is no aerial wizard.

The only way this team might, and I say might, get through is to commit to full-scale attack. Committed attack, not soft-touch attack but attack nonetheless and with our fastest and most skillful players spread throughout the side.

Caution and half-hearted attack has got us into this mess. We don't have the defenders to keep clean sheets very often (that is obvious from the statistics) so we have to score goals. And as we don't have giant tough guys to simply pinch goals from occasional breaks then we have to attack in numbers.

It is just so frustrating that the management don't really seem to appreciate this or at least don't have the nerve to act on it. Sheffield Wednesday was a classic example of cautious stupidity.

We should have kept attacking at least until Stearman's injury. Of course, after that, we didn't even have another attacking full-back on the bench. Blinkered management. And how many examples have there been?.

If Levein's persistence with people like Kisnorbo, Johansson, Maybury, Hughes, Hamill even Hammond was producing results, his selection decisions would be understandable, even acceptable but it isn't and only a seriously arrogant man persists with what is demonstrably not working.

It gives me no pleasure whatever to say this was pointed out months ago and why? Because none of those players deseerve a City shirt. They don't have enough effect. Maybury has had his moments (mainly last season) and I keep hearing what a wonderful player Hughes has been. But there's been little evidence in either's favour this year (except through Levein's special gloss-over spectacles).

Wikepedia definition of Craig Levein

Craig Levein (born 22 October 1964) is a former football player who is now a football manager. He is currently manager of Football League Championship team Leicester City, having previously managed Scottish Premier League team Heart of Midlothian and Scottish Football League Third Division team Cowdenbeath, the two sides with whom he had spent his playing career. Levein guided Heart of Midlothian into european competition during his stay at tynecastle. Renowned as a cultured centre-half, his management style is contrastingly pragmatic, employing direct, percentage football tactics, often centred upon a targetman striker. His stated aim at Leicester is to build a young tenacious squad, with the optimistic target of promotion into the Premiership.

As a player for Hearts he was a Scotland international, earning 16 caps during a career punctuated by two separate serious knee ligament injuries, which eventually forced him into early retirement in 1995. Without such misfortune it is likely Levein would have garnered considerably more international caps and, probably, a career in the English top flight.

haha they know him better then us

From what i can tell from the game at the weekend, we've already resorted to hoofball.

Mark De Vries, bless him, was winning just about everything that we put up to him, but there was no one for him to head it to.

If we're going to hoof it, at least give the big man some support!

Archived