Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frenzied

The Chelsea ran away...

If you consider such an incident to be a 'massive victory' Teeno you deserve your own bespoke thrashing, preferably with the cat o' nine tails...

I don't consider it to be a victory I'm just quoting what they thought

And thanks to these 'brave soldiers', we have to travel without colours, we can't get into various pubs when we go away, we get herded like animals by the police, and we can't enjoy a pint whilst watching the game. We have a lot to thank the boys for.

To be fair though in certain places the hooligan element adds a lot excitment and edge to going football.

Really? If i had the threat of getting beat up I don't think I would be too excited.

I'm not saying it's the threat of being beat up but I think the whole banter, passion, and excitment makes the day out a lot better. I couldn't imagine football being like rugby where they all love each other, it would just be so boring.

On another thread many lamented the lack of atmosphere at games. You can theorise until doomsday as to why, but the main reasons are the measures taken to try and tackle the bonehead hooligans who nearly ruined football. It is staggeringly pathetic listening to the glorifying of such behaviour. Perhaps I should apologise in advance for calling the nice little chappies "boneheads".

I don't approve of violene my any means, but what I'm saying is I think these people are the once that get the atmosphere going at football not boring bland people who sit in the kop with their mum, dad, auntie, uncle, brother and sister occasionally singing "come on leicester"

The hooligan element at football is deffinatly wrong and something I personally don't get involved with but I think their presence make football a bit more exciting, am I bad for thinking this?

I don't approve of violene my any means, but what I'm saying is I think these people are the once that get the atmosphere going at football not boring bland people who sit in the kop with their mum, dad, auntie, uncle, brother and sister occasionally singing "come on leicester"

The hooligan element at football is deffinatly wrong and something I personally don't get involved with but I think their presence make football a bit more exciting, am I bad for thinking this?

No. Violence can be exciting - that's one reason why some people get involved in football hooliganism. Many have described it as being like a drug. It's also why violent films are so popular - many people find them exciting too.

The game itself involves forms of controlled (sometimes uncontrolled) aggression, which is also exciting both to watch and participate in.

Unfortunately you're probably right Teeno. However, these likeable chappies will one day become, as you will, one of the boring mum, dad, aunties, uncles etc. sitting in the Kop. When that day happens these fine young miscreants may realise what dopy twats (damn....done it again) they were.

On another thread many lamented the lack of atmosphere at games. You can theorise until doomsday as to why, but the main reasons are the measures taken to try and tackle the bonehead hooligans who nearly ruined football. It is staggeringly pathetic listening to the glorifying of such behaviour. Perhaps I should apologise in advance for calling the nice little chappies "boneheads".

Perfect description this time :whistle:

You wouldn't have to SIT next to all the mums, dads, aunties, uncles, brothers and sisters occasionally singing "come on leicester" if 'these people' hadn't ruined it for every one else. I used to stand in packed East Stand with with a mix of home and away supporters, the atmosphere created at that time has never been bettered in my opinion and there wasn't a hint of violence, just good humoured singing, banter and abuse, a wall of noise! etc.

Classic example here of how coppers create trouble at football

Wolves V Cardiff

Disgusting.

Either the coppers or the stewards are behind most the crowd trouble.

At city, the away fans (think was QPR) had a banner of there team, stewards went over to take it down and caused a riot then.

I can't believe some people.

I like to sing, I like to make some noise, I don't sit on my hands, ffs, I do like a bit of banter, believe it or not. But am I a hooligan? Does the need to support my team mean I have to start looking for a fight?

No!

Get a grip people.

Excitement? What, watching someone being picked on for 90 minutes? Having Wolves fans trying to 'run you' at Wolverhampton station? It's pathetic. It's definitely not reassuring, and had we arrived 10 minutes earlier in Vienna, our 'boys' would have had the same response from me the Wolves lot got, and the Chelsea lot, and all the other twats who dared to start trouble in my presence.

It makes me laugh how people go on about how unfair the policing and the stewarding is, yet glorify hooliganism.

I'm not saying it's the threat of being beat up but I think the whole banter, passion, and excitment makes the day out a lot better. I couldn't imagine football being like rugby where they all love each other, it would just be so boring.

I guess I misinterperated (SP) what you said :P

I agree the thing that makes going to wtahc football the most enjoyable for me is the atmosphere, that's been one of the main reasons i've decided to go to more away games than home games this season.

im sorry but reading all the things on this thread make me laugh !! i got involved in some of the trouble in the 80's / 90's but none of it was by choice !!!! some people really do not understand what sort of things went on then !!! and to call us all boneheads and idots is just a joke.

I used to travel to all the away games back then, most of the time it was with the same people, usually around 150 of us, we were not a firm but just older blokes who loved footy but also liked a drink and a good old singsong in the pubs, if we went to say Brighton or anywhere near the coast then it was a turned into a whole weekend. not now but back then i could take you to pubs all over the country that we were welcomed back year after year!!! we were not the baby squad!!! and i would say that the youngest person who travelled with us was about 25,also we were doing this before the squad was formed!! But the biggest problem was even if you didnt want trouble because of how many of us there were it usually found us!! And for thoose who think it was only some clubs who had firms you are so wrong!! they all did !! to be honest travelling in numbers was the safest way to go to the games.

I could give you loads of times and places where it kicked of but there is no point because most of you have allready made your minds up about the way things were, and about the people who got involved. but here is just one simple example, away game at Liverpool, just walking to the ground, only about 10 of us, a young boy asked us what the time was, when one of replied they ran off, about2 mins later a group of about 40 Liverpool fans got us trapped in a street, no where to go just had to stand and fight, they used the kids to check out our accents then ambush us.

I am really happy that it is not like that now, and i dont want it to go back to the bad old days!!! but please dont slag us off because thats how it was!!

I am really happy that it is not like that now, and i dont want it to go back to the bad old days!!! but please dont slag us off because thats how it was!!
It doesn't make it right though. Ok, so a group of 150 of you got into some bother, what about the thousands who went to games and didn't get into any trouble?

Some people seem to equate passionate football supporters with thuggery. That's my objection.

It doesn't make it right though. Ok, so a group of 150 of you got into some bother, what about the thousands who went to games and didn't get into any trouble?

Some people seem to equate passionate football supporters with thuggery. That's my objection.

I never said it was right!! And i didnt say that you had to fight to be passionate about your team!! But my point is that just because we travelled in numbers then we were a target, and people like you, who knew nothing about us called us thugs!! The police were just as bad, pushing us around and setting the dogs on us for fun. im sorry but like it or not other clubs firms knew that if they wanted a fight then they could get it at leicester,

I never said it was right!! And i didnt say that you had to fight to be passionate about your team!! But my point is that just because we travelled in numbers then we were a target, and people like you, who knew nothing about us called us thugs!! The police were just as bad, pushing us around and setting the dogs on us for fun. im sorry but like it or not other clubs firms knew that if they wanted a fight then they could get it at leicester,
What makes you think I know nothing? Because I disagree with some people?

I'm calling people who fight thugs. I'm also questioning the reasoning that in order to create any noise you have to be a 'boy'. The subject, and the insinuations, has been rearing its ugly little head for some time now.

What I'm trying to say is that because of hooligans, all football fans are treated with disdain by the authoritites, and by people ouside of the game. Jeez, even some inside it! It meant you and your mates couldn't enjoy an day or weekend out.

If you didn't willingly partake, then you're not a thug. It stands to reason.

Classic example here of how coppers create trouble at football

Wolves V Cardiff

Im afraid Cardiff have a reputation now where the slightest bit of trouble sparks a full on riot from the Police.

Ok they've been bad in the past but I've never seen any trouble from them at the Walkers or heard of much at Ninian Park.

What makes you think I know nothing? Because I disagree with some people?

I'm calling people who fight thugs. I'm also questioning the reasoning that in order to create any noise you have to be a 'boy'. The subject, and the insinuations, has been rearing its ugly little head for some time now.

What I'm trying to say is that because of hooligans, all football fans are treated with disdain by the authoritites, and by people ouside of the game. Jeez, even some inside it! It meant you and your mates couldn't enjoy an day or weekend out.

If you didn't willingly partake, then you're not a thug. It stands to reason.

Ihear what you are saying but, how can you make a judgment on wheather or not someone took part willingly or not?? the police and the courts did not!! as far as they were concerned if you were involved you were guilty!! as for boys making more noise than girls, i couldnt care less who is loudest aslong as they got behind our team!! As for hooligans being the only reason you are treated so badly at away games, i think this is not completly true, have you ever thought that maybe the police and local authoritites just dont want away fans in their cities?

Another point to think about, i went to Luton with my other half and 2 boys, i could not get tickets in our end cos it was sold out, but we really wanted to go, so on friday i was in Luton and i bought tickets in their main stand, a bit risky but i was not looking for trouble so thought it would be ok, if we kept quiet, just to our left was a group of their boys, very vocal and quite nasty with it. What if they had realised who we were and had ago at me, who would be branded the thug?? them or me cos i was in their part of the ground??

Ihear what you are saying but, how can you make a judgment on wheather or not someone took part willingly or not?? the police and the courts did not!! as far as they were concerned if you were involved you were guilty!! as for boys making more noise than girls, i couldnt care less who is loudest aslong as they got behind our team!! As for hooligans being the only reason you are treated so badly at away games, i think this is not completly true, have you ever thought that maybe the police and local authoritites just dont want away fans in their cities?

Another point to think about, i went to Luton with my other half and 2 boys, i could not get tickets in our end cos it was sold out, but we really wanted to go, so on friday i was in Luton and i bought tickets in their main stand, a bit risky but i was not looking for trouble so thought it would be ok, if we kept quiet, just to our left was a group of their boys, very vocal and quite nasty with it. What if they had realised who we were and had ago at me, who would be branded the thug?? them or me cos i was in their part of the ground??

That's the whole point; I'm sick of being branded as a hooligan just because I follow my footbal team. Whether we like it or not, we will be treated like 2nd class citizens by some, and all because of a minority. Fas of other sports can travel wherever and whenver they like. You can go and see a gig and get less hassle. But a football match?

By the way, I wasn't bringing gender into the equation, ;)

Must admit, on more than one occasion it has been somewhat reassuring to see a large bunch of lads away. Like Vienna for instance. Loads of times down in the Smoke etc etc.

You're right there Chrissshaw, I was in Vienna on the train, if it wasn't for the BS, we would have got nailed big time. The Redstar fans/ hoolies didn't care if you were in a 'Firm' they just wanted to hurt City fans, however they took a kicking cos they got on the wrong train !

Archived