Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shum

English fans are stabbed in Rome

Three Middlesbrough fans have been stabbed ahead of the club's Uefa Cup clash against AS Roma in the Italian capital, police have confirmed.

Cleveland Police said the attack came from an "organised gang of Italian thugs" who targeted two bars where the English fans were drinking.

The violence happened late on Tuesday as about 200 English fans gathered in Rome's central Campo de Fiori area.

In all 13 fans were hurt, although none of their injuries are life-threatening.

A 39-year-old man underwent surgery in Rome overnight and he remains in hospital for observation. An 18-year-old was also treated in hospital and was expected to be released on Wednesday.

Lighted flare

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Rome said five Italians were being held by the Italian police.

Italian officers with batons were brought in to break up the violence.

A spokesman for Cleveland Police, who have officers with Boro fans in Italy, said at one point a lighted flare was thrown into a bar where Middlesbrough fans, some in family groups, were drinking.

He said most English fans fled for safety, but some retaliated and tables and chairs were thrown as the violence worsened.

The spokesman said the injured supporters were aged between 16 and 55.

Cleveland Police officers toured hospital accident and emergency wards overnight to check no other supporters were injured.

'Medical treatment'

It is thought a group of extremist Roma fans, known as Ultras, were involved. Reports said they were led by a man wielding an axe and wore scarves.

The club's chief executive Keith Lamb said: "Some Boro fans were drinking in a bar and were attacked by some Roma fans.

"A number of Boro fans have been injured - a small number - and taken to hospital and received medical treatment. "

Cleveland Police appealed for calm in the run up to the second leg of the cup tie, in which Boro lead 1-0.

Last year a Middlesbrough fan died after being stabbed outside a bar in Amsterdam, after travelling to watch his team in the Uefa Cup.

Brendan O'Connor, 36, of London, had joined friends to travel to Holland where his team were playing Dutch side AZ Alkmaar in November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4808246.stm

I'm a bit worried as I know a few people that have gone, some with their families. They were all really looking forward to doing a bit of sightseeing, a few beers and enjoying what should have been an amazing occasion. This just seems like a pretty cowardly attack by some scumbags that could have happened to any set of fans across Europe.

I know that they're not representative of the Italian people and probably had little to do with Roma, but I hope the Boro do them tonight (on the pitch). I don't know what it is about Italian football, but I've never liked it. Possibly the mixture of numbingly dull football, cheating, politics and the rampant fascism and violence that seems to be almost accepted over there?

English fans are labelled as being hooligans, which is correct, but least we don't get fans stabbing the opposition fans. I remember when the two Leeds fans were stabbed to death from Turkish fans, I think the club was Galatasaray, and also now this.

English fans are labelled as being hooligans, which is correct, but least we don't get fans stabbing the opposition fans. I remember when the two Leeds fans were stabbed to death from Turkish fans, I think the club was Galatasaray, and also now this.

Just what I was going to say!

Grr it makes me :mad:

i hope boro do them on the pitch and im sure some boro fans will want revenge so expect more trouble..

ENGLAND UNITED

COME ON BORO!!

I dont thinks so you have to be incredibly stupid to start in Rome the police are fooking nuts as well as the Roma fans. Wouldnt suprise me if it was the Lazio fans just out causing trouble any way they have a history for it.

Three Middlesbrough fans have been stabbed ahead of the club's Uefa Cup clash against AS Roma in the Italian capital, police have confirmed.

Cleveland Police said the attack came from an "organised gang of Italian thugs" who targeted two bars where the English fans were drinking.

The violence happened late on Tuesday as about 200 English fans gathered in Rome's central Campo de Fiori area.

In all 13 fans were hurt, although none of their injuries are life-threatening.

A 39-year-old man underwent surgery in Rome overnight and he remains in hospital for observation. An 18-year-old was also treated in hospital and was expected to be released on Wednesday.

Lighted flare

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Rome said five Italians were being held by the Italian police.

Italian officers with batons were brought in to break up the violence.

A spokesman for Cleveland Police, who have officers with Boro fans in Italy, said at one point a lighted flare was thrown into a bar where Middlesbrough fans, some in family groups, were drinking.

He said most English fans fled for safety, but some retaliated and tables and chairs were thrown as the violence worsened.

The spokesman said the injured supporters were aged between 16 and 55.

Cleveland Police officers toured hospital accident and emergency wards overnight to check no other supporters were injured.

'Medical treatment'

It is thought a group of extremist Roma fans, known as Ultras, were involved. Reports said they were led by a man wielding an axe and wore scarves.

The club's chief executive Keith Lamb said: "Some Boro fans were drinking in a bar and were attacked by some Roma fans.

"A number of Boro fans have been injured - a small number - and taken to hospital and received medical treatment. "

Cleveland Police appealed for calm in the run up to the second leg of the cup tie, in which Boro lead 1-0.

Last year a Middlesbrough fan died after being stabbed outside a bar in Amsterdam, after travelling to watch his team in the Uefa Cup.

Brendan O'Connor, 36, of London, had joined friends to travel to Holland where his team were playing Dutch side AZ Alkmaar in November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4808246.stm

I wonder if the Cleveland Police would be appealling for calm if one of their officers had been shot or stabbed to death.

in The Sun today (thurs 16th) it said that Italian Police Forces were stood watching the italian thugs lay into english 'boro fans for 15 minutes and then when they started to split it up some police were beating boro fans up. if the boro fans had fought back a tiny bit we'd be banned from europe, banned from taking any fans to germany and again labelled as scum across europe. yet it's perfectly ok for some turks to stab leeds fans to death and attack families supporting middlesborough.

so glad boro won last night they deserved it, great support i could hear on the t.v. hope they do us english proud and bring home yet more euro silverwear!

wonder if any revenge will be taken out in germany later this year! GET INTO EM!!!!

Italian scum, really pisses me off. Us Brits are allways labelled as thugs and are well know for violence. But English football fans fight, not stab. The Ities hate the English and I can gaurrentie that they are rejoicing in Italy right now. Makes me sick it does, the f***ing cowards. You just have to look back in history to see what they're like.

fock the pope, god save the queen!!!!

Notice aswell how thier 'hard' ultras attack and stab innocent families drinking in bars, but yet only 300 of them came over to teeside. Cowards, wonder how many of them will turn up in Germany, hardly any I bet, they're to scared they know that this little stunt will just wind the England fans up and they'll all join up forces to get revenge, and who'll be in trouble for it :unsure:

Archived