Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
davieG

Getting Rid of norton

Recommended Posts

Posted

With all the problems I keep getting i've decide to get rid of Norton, only problem is I can't. I've tried deleting it through the add and delete function but it says I need to be a supervisor, I've tried deleting individual files and it says they are in use even though it's part disabled.

Can anyone out there who can offer any advice on this as I'm nearly ready to chuck the pc out the window.

Thanks in advance.

Posted

With all the problems I keep getting i've decide to get rid of Norton, only problem is I can't. I've tried deleting it through the add and delete function but it says I need to be a supervisor, I've tried deleting individual files and it says they are in use even though it's part disabled.

Can anyone out there who can offer any advice on this as I'm nearly ready to chuck the pc out the window.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert at all but have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode and then deleting it?

Posted

With all the problems I keep getting i've decide to get rid of Norton, only problem is I can't. I've tried deleting it through the add and delete function but it says I need to be a supervisor, I've tried deleting individual files and it says they are in use even though it's part disabled.

Can anyone out there who can offer any advice on this as I'm nearly ready to chuck the pc out the window.

Thanks in advance.

That was going to be my advice. I suspect it will be a service and you will need to stop it and then you should be able to remove it, maybe. :huh::unsure: Go to your Computer Manger and then select services and stop and remove it there. ;):thumbup: On XP it is Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Services. Try to see if you can stop it and if it is there and you can, then maybe, maybe, you can then delete it. :D:D;):thumbup: No guarantees. :huh::unsure::whistle::ph34r:

Posted

Thanks Matt & Steven, I believe I've manage to remove it but alas I'm now awash with spyware spyware :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Posted

Thanks Matt & Steven, I believe I've manage to remove it but alas I'm now awash with spyware spyware :mad::mad::mad::mad:

You should try using Norton :ph34r:

Posted

Thanks Matt & Steven, I believe I've manage to remove it but alas I'm now awash with spyware spyware :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Download SpyBot search and destroy off the net and that should see you right!

Posted

With all the problems I keep getting i've decide to get rid of Norton, only problem is I can't. I've tried deleting it through the add and delete function but it says I need to be a supervisor, I've tried deleting individual files and it says they are in use even though it's part disabled.

Can anyone out there who can offer any advice on this as I'm nearly ready to chuck the pc out the window.

Thanks in advance.

You shouldnt just 'delete it' you need to uninstall it...Control panel/Add remove programs/find norton then click uninstall/remove.

Just deleting it does not remove it from your system and will still be active in your registry.

However if you have now deleted the files it will be very unlikely it will let you uninstall it the correct way now.

Posted

I currently use Norton Internet Security 2006, Spybot S&D and SpyBlaster.

Like davieG, I'm considering sacking-off Norton because it's slow and there are allegedly better, cheaper alternatives.

Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus/firewall combo or suite? I'm considering Kaperskey and Zone Alarm. I'm currently using a Mobile Athlon 1400+ with 256mb RAM and very little HD space, so the smaller the better.

Posted

I currently use Norton Internet Security 2006, Spybot S&D and SpyBlaster.

Like davieG, I'm considering sacking-off Norton because it's slow and there are allegedly better, cheaper alternatives.

Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus/firewall combo or suite? I'm considering Kaperskey and Zone Alarm. I'm currently using a Mobile Athlon 1400+ with 256mb RAM and very little HD space, so the smaller the better.

What i posted in another thread:-

Agreed, Get AVG Anti virus from hear http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Its free and not so heavy on computer processors.

Norton is awful takes up to much processors in your computer and slows it down.

Make sure you uninstall it properly and notice the speed next time you turn your computer on!

Also use this free firewall:- http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...d=dbtopnav_zass

Again absolutley FREE and does a better job then they over priced, over hyped Norton....No offence norton users

Geek mode over and out

:thumbup:

Posted

I currently use Norton Internet Security 2006, Spybot S&D and SpyBlaster.

Like davieG, I'm considering sacking-off Norton because it's slow and there are allegedly better, cheaper alternatives.

Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus/firewall combo or suite? I'm considering Kaperskey and Zone Alarm. I'm currently using a Mobile Athlon 1400+ with 256mb RAM and very little HD space, so the smaller the better.

ZoneAlarm is brilliant in my humble opinion.

Posted
:thumbup: Thanks for the tips, people. Think I might go with AVG as my anti-virus thingy. That was the other one I was recommended at work, but I'd forgotten the name.
Posted

Download SpyBot search and destroy off the net and that should see you right!

I've got spybot but it doesn't get rid of this type spyware/malware.

Thanks for the tip though.

Posted

You shouldnt just 'delete it' you need to uninstall it...Control panel/Add remove programs/find norton then click uninstall/remove.

Just deleting it does not remove it from your system and will still be active in your registry.

However if you have now deleted the files it will be very unlikely it will let you uninstall it the correct way now.

Yeh, I know that but it wouldn't let me remove it as for some reason it doesn't recognise me as the 'Supervisor' and recommended that I contacted norton, but they've been no help at all.

Posted

What i posted in another thread:-

Agreed, Get AVG Anti virus from hear http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Its free and not so heavy on computer processors.

Norton is awful takes up to much processors in your computer and slows it down.

Make sure you uninstall it properly and notice the speed next time you turn your computer on!

Also use this free firewall:- http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...d=dbtopnav_zass

Again absolutley FREE and does a better job then they over priced, over hyped Norton....No offence norton users

Geek mode over and out

:thumbup:

I've now got both of them on.

This has a lot of good links and advice on setting up a decent security screen for free Castle Cops

Posted

download Hijackthis.

this programme is great to delete spyware and other stuff that starts when you turn the pc on (e.g. norton).

it is manual but comes with instuctions and is relitivley easy to use, but becareful as it can destory your system if you delete the wrong things.

Posted

It's alright folks I've cracked it, I now know how it all works thanks to this

Posted

While we're at it, can anyone recommend a good freeware or shareware registry/start-up fixer?

After having looked in the Task Manager and on tasklist.org, I've realised there's still a load of crap on my system slowing it down.

I've been on a few download sites and the number of utilities available is massive. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Posted
While we're at it, can anyone recommend a good freeware or shareware registry/start-up fixer?

After having looked in the Task Manager and on tasklist.org, I've realised there's still a load of crap on my system slowing it down.

I've been on a few download sites and the number of utilities available is massive. Can anyone recommend a good one?

castle cops have something here

called reg cleaner

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...