Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Academy

From OS:

<h3 class="headline" id="headline">Academy Win At Walkers </h3> 0,,10274%7E2773198,00.jpgCity's under 18s finished off their season with a 5-2 victory over MK Dons, but it doesn't look like it will be enough to clinch top spot.

Leicester remain undefeated since January, an astonishing run which saw them going into this final game of the campaign with a chance of claiming the title should they win and Aston Villa lose. The young Foxes certainly did their part on the day, but with Villa 2-0 up at half time in their fixture, it looks like a second place finish for City.

Trailing 2-1 at the interval at the Walkers Stadium, a memorable second half double from Max Gradel set Leicester on their way to a fine victory.

Ashley Chambers (pictured above right) got City off to a flying start with his head in the eighth minute. Gradel started the move with a neat bit of skill to beat two men and give himself room for the cross on the right hand side. Levi Porter met the ball at the far post, volleying it back across the face where Chambers was waiting to nod home the opener.

The home side looked to have settled into their stride and were dominating play when Milton Keynes equalised in the 25th minute. A deflected pass broke into the City box and was pounced upon by Tom Battams to level the score. The Dons striker would then put the visitors in front with his second, muscling Joe Magunda off the ball. The referee saw no foul and allowed Battams to proceed to slot the ball away unchallenged.

City were all square within a minute of the restart as Gradel strode confidently into the opposition penalty area, playing a clever one-two with Chambers, and buried his shot to make it 2-2.

On 55 minutes Eric Odhiambo had a strike charged down, but retrieved the ball to put in a great cross for Andy King to head goalwards, only prevented from giving City back the lead by a magnificent one-handed save from the MK goalkeeper. Porter and Chambers also came tantalisingly close to adding to Leicester's tally, both hitting the bar from distance.

The Foxes retook the lead with a goal worthy of winning any game from Gradel. With City piling on the pressure, the ball sat up for the talented midfielder who struck the sweetest of overhead kicks into the back of the net.

With fifteen minutes of the contest left top scorer Louis Dodds took his usual place on the scoresheet, looping a header into the top corner, before substitute Ryan Beswick got in on the act to extended City's advantage further in added time and put the three points beyond any doubt.

CITY: Pentney, Magunda (Beswick 76), Franklin, Lycett, Wykes, Gradel, King, Odhiambo (McKay 82), Porter, Dodds, Chambers

It was an entertaining match. We battered them for the majority of the match but it wasn't until the second half that we took advantage of all our chances.

We didn't look very solid at the back with Pentney in goal who I've seen twice now and he hasn't impressed me much on either occasion but we looked good going forward. Chambers and Odhiambo caused many problems first half with their movement, pace and strength against a big back four. Dodds played behind them but wasn't involved much first half. Second half he seemed to be playing alongside Chambers rather than behind and Odhiambo played wider. Porter had a good game once again. Played some good passes and has adapted well to playing in the middle this season instead of out wide. Hit the bar with a dipping shot second half too. Gradel was dangerous second half and first half too at times. His second goal was very well taken. He's a really exciting player when he gets the ball. He played a part in the first goal and took his two goals well. King was played at right back first half but was pushed further up the flank second half and was much more involved and comfortable there. Can't see Wykes being at the club much longer to be honest. When he plays in midfield the game drifts past him a lot of the time but he did a decent job at left back towards the end of the game.Magunda looked pretty solid at centre back (first time I'd seen him play there) until he limped off with an ankle injury picked up after a hard tackle on him. Franklin didn't do a lot wrong but didn't do anything outstanding and Lycett was quite solid but his distributuion was poor at times.

I had a scout sitting behind me and then an agent came and spoke to him and they were talking about the players who looked impressive. They mentioned the number 9 of MK Dons and then our number 9, Chambers. The agent seemed to think a couple of Premiership clubs have had him watched and he mentioned something about compensation but not sure what exactly. They both seemed very impressed. The scout was shocked to find that he's still only a schoolboy and said he'll go a long way if he carries on like he has done so far. They were also pleased that he had scored a goal with his head as the scout had missed the first goal he had expected it to have come via a ball round the back of the defence that Chambers had put away.

It was an entertaining match. We battered them for the majority of the match but it wasn't until the second half that we took advantage of all our chances.

We didn't look very solid at the back with Pentney in goal who I've seen twice now and he hasn't impressed me much on either occasion but we looked good going forward. Chambers and Odhiambo caused many problems first half with their movement, pace and strength against a big back four. Dodds played behind them but wasn't involved much first half. Second half he seemed to be playing alongside Chambers rather than behind and Odhiambo played wider. Porter had a good game once again. Played some good passes and has adapted well to playing in the middle this season instead of out wide. Hit the bar with a dipping shot second half too. Gradel was dangerous second half and first half too at times. His second goal was very well taken. He's a really exciting player when he gets the ball. He played a part in the first goal and took his two goals well. King was played at right back first half but was pushed further up the flank second half and was much more involved and comfortable there. Can't see Wykes being at the club much longer to be honest. When he plays in midfield the game drifts past him a lot of the time but he did a decent job at left back towards the end of the game.Magunda looked pretty solid at centre back (first time I'd seen him play there) until he limped off with an ankle injury picked up after a hard tackle on him. Franklin didn't do a lot wrong but didn't do anything outstanding and Lycett was quite solid but his distributuion was poor at times.

I had a scout sitting behind me and then an agent came and spoke to him and they were talking about the players who looked impressive. They mentioned the number 9 of MK Dons and then our number 9, Chambers. The agent seemed to think a couple of Premiership clubs have had him watched and he mentioned something about compensation but not sure what exactly. They both seemed very impressed. The scout was shocked to find that he's still only a schoolboy and said he'll go a long way if he carries on like he has done so far. They were also pleased that he had scored a goal with his head as the scout had missed the first goal he had expected it to have come via a ball round the back of the defence that Chambers had put away.

Do you realise how lucky you are to be able to catch a glimpse of our up-and-coming players now.

Interesting you mention Magunda. He's generally played at right-back and has come on steadily. He became quite attacking as his confidence grew and is becoming a good, solid team player. He always does the simple things and mostly he does them accurately. Still young and a bit lightweight yet for centre-back but a lad who seems to listen and learn.

Do you realise how lucky you are to be able to catch a glimpse of our up-and-coming players now.

Interesting you mention Magunda. He's generally played at right-back and has come on steadily. He became quite attacking as his confidence grew and is becoming a good, solid team player. He always does the simple things and mostly he does them accurately. Still young and a bit lightweight yet for centre-back but a lad who seems to listen and learn.

I've seen Magunda play at right back three or four times and he's still got a lot to learn especially when it comes to positioning but today, in his best position and correct age group, he looked like a solid centre back. He made some great tackles close to the touchline after chasing back. Quite good in the air too but was caught out a bit for their second goal. The agent bloke behind me said that he looks like his bones have grown but his muscles haven't caught up yet which is about right. He looks like he's got the potential to become a good defender.

Chambers is being handled exactly how Wesolowski was by the club, it's blatantly obvious that there is alot of interest in him and the club are trying their best to allow him to develop without putting him in the limelight too much. I hope to dear god we can keep hold of him and he develops in to the player he's capable of. I think once he's turned 17, he'll be introduced in to the first team.

Archived