Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Ray Graydon's Replacement ?

In an idle moment (Note to News Editor - who I know visits this site - "I don't have many" !) - I trawled the League Managers Association site (well worth a look if anyone's got time - 'www.leaguemanagers.co.uk') and tracked down 6 ex-City players who have recent managerial experience - and are available - and could help RK in an Assisting/Coaching role (not that he would HAVE to be an ex-player of course - it's just I like the 'continuity' !). We've got:-

Steve Claridge (must be hanging up his boots by now - not many goals for Walsall of late ?!)

Tony Cottee (if he can 'pass up' on Sky dosh !)

Paul Groves (if not bricklaying somewhere now !)

Steve Kember (great City midfielder)

Steve Thompson (don't think he actually played for the 1st team - but a great reserve captain - apparently !)

Terry Fenwick (he WAS here !)

Can anyone come up with others ?

PS I deliberately excluded ex-Coaches/Scouts like Dave Bassett, John Gregory, Alan Cork, David Kemp - who are also available - for obvious reasons !!

Apparently, my journo mate at the Walsall Observer has been trying to 'track down' Colin Lee and Ray Graydon for their comments on Walsall's search for a Manager (see above !). Graydon (directly) has confirmed his reason as being simply too far to travel (he seems to be hopeful of a Coaching position at a club "on the south coast" !). More interestingly, in addition to what he was told about Lee's position re. Walsall, Colin Lee's Agent - he couldn't get hold of Lee himself (I didn't know Manager's had them ?!) HAS confirmed that there IS an offer from a "Midlands CHAMPIONSHIP club" (ruling out Forest ?) for a post as Assistant Manager - Colin Lee is apparently considering it - and will need to give them an answer before Sunday 7/5. VERY interesting !

LATEST (from a Journalist - so believe or believe it not !)

The Walsall Chairman (A 'Jeff Bonser' - Bonser Dog Do Dah Band ?!) was told before he appointed Money (Colin Lee was his first choice) - that Lee WAS ABOUT TO ACCEPT AN ASSISTANT MANAGER'S JOB WITH LEICESTER. Bonser apparently thought Lee "mad" - "why would anyone take an Assistant's job, when he could be Manager" he said - perhaps something to do with the fact that Walsall are now in League 2 !!?

LATEST (from a Journalist - so believe or believe it not !)

The Walsall Chairman (A 'Jeff Bonser' - Bonser Dog Do Dah Band ?!) was told before he appointed Money (Colin Lee was his first choice) - that Lee WAS ABOUT TO ACCEPT AN ASSISTANT MANAGER'S JOB WITH LEICESTER. Bonser apparently thought Lee "mad" - "why would anyone take an Assistant's job, when he could be Manager" he said - perhaps something to do with the fact that Walsall are now in League 2 !!?

It was actually the:

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band :)

LATEST !!

My Walsall journo mate, 'ran a story by' Colin Lee's Agent, which he was about to publish for this week's Observer (Walsall Observer - not the national Sunday paper !); saying that Lee turned down the offer of a job from Walsall Chairman Jeff Bonser, because he was about to start as Assistant to Rob Kelly at Leicester. Lee's Agent was not very happy (despite giving the story) about it being leaked - and insisted that it not be printed - to quote him, "that deal is not yet completed - Colin is still giving it some thought - there are a few other job possibilities likely to come up in the near future" !

So watch this space - I hope Lee is not going to start p*****g us about !

LATEST !!

My Walsall journo mate, 'ran a story by' Colin Lee's Agent, which he was about to publish for this week's Observer (Walsall Observer - not the national Sunday paper !); saying that Lee turned down the offer of a job from Walsall Chairman Jeff Bonser, because he was about to start as Assistant to Rob Kelly at Leicester. Lee's Agent was not very happy (despite giving the story) about it being leaked - and insisted that it not be printed - to quote him, "that deal is not yet completed - Colin is still giving it some thought - there are a few other job possibilities likely to come up in the near future" !

So watch this space - I hope Lee is not going to start p*****g us about !

Personally I hope he goes and pisses on someone else's parade. :P

Should have been Lowey for England, tbh. Even I'd have cheered for that.

Good to hear about Lowe - can anyone else confirm if he's a Wigan 1st Team Coach/Assistant Manger or Academy/Reserves Coach ? Obviously my list of ex-City 'boys' who might be 'up' for an Assistant/Coaches job at City, comes from the LMA - who only list people who've ACTUALLY been Club Managers at some point (not just Coaches) - I'm sure there's a whole list of other potential chaps (again, ex-City - I do like a 'returning sinner' - come back Muzzy, all is forgiven !) who are/have been in a Coaching role elsewhere - can anyone come up with names other than Lowe (though he does sound a good 'bet' !?).

As for the Lee rumour, it's all gone very quiet. I bet he's looking at possible Manager's jobs elsewhere - there's a few come up of late (Tranmere for one - no, I'M NOT advocating a return for Brian Littlescruples !)

Reynard, Wigan have him listed as "Reserves Coach", as I said. And while I think it'd be a fantastic idea and he's done really well for himself, I don't actually know if he'd come and there's been no rumour connecting him to the job. It was purely a suggestion. :)

I mean, he may be a bit of a leg-end here, but he was a massive hit at Wigan - they proper love him and from what I gather he proper loves them, he is a Lanc after all.

Reynard, Wigan have him listed as "Reserves Coach", as I said. And while I think it'd be a fantastic idea and he's done really well for himself, I don't actually know if he'd come and there's been no rumour connecting him to the job. It was purely a suggestion. :)

I know, but a good 'call' !

Apparently, Lee is to be interviewed for the Stoke Managers job, before the weekend (Source: Journalist, Evening Sentinel). Other names 'in the frame' are Tony Pulis (a return - swallowing their pride, as per Portsmouth & Redknapp !), Brian Little, John Gregory (I thought he was off to Hungary ?).

Apparently, Lee is to be interviewed for the Stoke Managers job, before the weekend (Source: Journalist, Evening Sentinel). Other names 'in the frame' are Tony Pulis (a return - swallowing their pride, as per Portsmouth & Redknapp !), Brian Little, John Gregory (I thought he was off to Hungary ?).

Didn't Pulis leave when the Icelandic lot were in control of the club? Their ex-chairman or something is trying to buy the club back - so perhaps it's not a case of 'swallowing their pride' afterall ;)

Peter Coates closes in on Stoke Return

Says he was chairman from '89 to '98 :thumbup:

Tony Pulis has (vehemently) denied he is going back to Stoke (quite likely he will then !) and Gregory says he "happy with Sky" (got turned down by Hungary !!). Stoke evening paper today saying Colin Lee and Brain (not a typo !) Little are to joined by Mike Newell. Do Stoke only want to consider ex-City people - there's Levein, Bassett and McGee (shortly to be on his way from Brighton apparently) - only Adams is in a job (and of course O'Neill could be anywhere, if he wants one) - does that say anything about how clever our Board are at spotting failures ?!

I do believe it is now IMPERATIVE that RK sorts out an Assistant Manager/Coach. This is the time of the year that there is feverish activity in the transfer market - unretained players being taken on by other clubs, negotiations with clubs and players re transfers and fees and general 'to-ing and fro-ing' - Rob needs as much help as he can get - it is impossible for him and Mike Stowell to be everywhere - and he desperately needs some 'accumulated wisdom' from an older and wiser (and more experienced Manager's) head (I heard on the radio yesterday how Ade Boothroyd at Watford couldn't have done what he has, without the help of 70 year old Keith Burkinshaw - and all the experience/knowledge he gained at the top with Spurs).

I'm sure Rob is pushing for help - I hope the Board are not prevaricating and moaning on about cost, expense, hassle etc.

I can imagine the board would be moaning about cost and stopping RK from getting the man he wants

The board have apparently already agreed a budget for coaching staff as well as playing staff.

So I imagine it's Rob who hasn't found the right coaching staff yet, rather than the board moaning about cost. Rob was told what he had available to him, so that's what he has to work with, simple as.

The board have apparently already agreed a budget for coaching staff as well as playing staff.

So I imagine it's Rob who hasn't found the right coaching staff yet, rather than the board moaning about cost. Rob was told what he had available to him, so that's what he has to work with, simple as.

I agree. I'm sure the problem is, with so many vacant MANAGER'S jobs now around, potential Coaches are 'biding' their time, waiting to see if they get one, before commiting to being RK's ASSISTANT (eg Colin Lee). I just hope this doesn't 'scupper' our needs for the summer.

I agree. I'm sure the problem is, with so many vacant MANAGER'S jobs now around, potential Coaches are 'biding' their time, waiting to see if they get one, before commiting to being RK's ASSISTANT (eg Colin Lee). I just hope this doesn't 'scupper' our needs for the summer.

Well I'm happy for Colin Lee to be scuppered. :P

Well I'm happy for Colin Lee to be scuppered. :P

Well possibly (I'm still unsure about Lee !); but, the current situation re vacancies for Managers might well be preventing us from getting ANY help in soon - and that has to be a big problem - Rob needs support NOW ! I wouldn't be at all surprised, that the reason we're not making any Player signings (everyone else seems to be strengthening their squads like mad now), is that RK can't do it all (scout/talk to other clubs, talk through with others his ideas for likely signings, negotiate contracts etc) himself (or with just Mike Stowell).

Well possibly (I'm still unsure about Lee !); but, the current situation re vacancies for Managers might well be preventing us from getting ANY help in soon - and that has to be a big problem - Rob needs support NOW ! I wouldn't be at all surprised, that the reason we're not making any Player signings (everyone else seems to be strengthening their squads like mad now), is that RK can't do it all (scout/talk to other clubs, talk through with others his ideas for likely signings, negotiate contracts etc) himself (or with just Mike Stowell).

There's no point in any of us keep wittering on about WHO RK should sign, if he hasn't got the resources ie staff (not money) to help him have discussions with other clubs, or sort out player negotiations and expedite transfer dealings.

There's no point in any of us keep wittering on about WHO RK should sign, if he hasn't got the resources ie staff (not money) to help him have discussions with other clubs, or sort out player negotiations and expedite transfer dealings.

I hope it's not all going to be a last minute job. That was my worry before the end of the season and the reason I was urging an early appointment so we could plan ahead.

I hope it's not all going to be a last minute job. That was my worry before the end of the season and the reason I was urging an early appointment so we could plan ahead.

Thanks Thracian - thank goodness someone else appreciates the urgence of getting a Coach / Assistant in for RK - I think its more important than signing players - you can't have one without the other. If we all keep pushing (perhaps Rob, as well as the Board ?!) ...... ?

Archived