Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Ray Graydon's Replacement ?

Now RG has said he's leaving (too far to travel from his Hampshire home) - who should Rob Kelly be looking at - to replace Graydon and the 'missing Coach' (the 3rd Assistant, RK say's he - and the club needs) ?

A few names I'd like to put 'into the hat':-

Gary MacAllister, Colin Lee, Gary Mills, Tony Parkes, Eric Black, John Robertson, Steve Walford - all with a previous connection with City, RK or other names on the list - and all with recent experience of managing and coaching at this level. I'm sure others can come up with similar names ?

Now RG has said he's leaving (too far to travel from his Hampshire home) - who should Rob Kelly be looking at - to replace Graydon and the 'missing Coach' (the 4th Assistant, RK say's he - and the club needs) ?

A few names I'd like to put 'into the hat':-

Gary MacAllister, Colin Lee, Gary Mills, Tony Parkes, Eric Black, John Robertson, Steve Walford - all with a previous connection with City, RK or other names on the list - and all with recent experience of managing and coaching at this level. I'm sure others can come up with similar names ?

Dennis Rofe for me. He could sort out the defence.

Dennis Rofe for me. He could sort out the defence.

I did put Dennis in my original post - but wasn't sure if he was still 'active' in League football, so deleted him (I know he WAS at Southampton ?). Do you - or anyone else - know what he is doing now ?

I think as RK is relatively inexperienced at managing, he will probably go for someone he knows. He spent 8 years at Blackburn so would you imagine it will be someone from their club or academy?

I think as RK is relatively inexperienced at managing, he will probably go for someone he knows. He spent 8 years at Blackburn so would you imagine it will be someone from their club or academy?

As I said at the start of this thread, Tony Parkes (ex Blackburn assistant - and Caretaker Manager on a few occasions, when others have been sacked - and was RK's boss as Assistant Manager and Reserve Team Coach) would be one to consider. I'm not sure what he's up to at the moment (I think someone said he was 'helping out' at another North West Club - I can't remember where) - does anyone know ?

Someone who is young and dynamic with ideas and personality who believes the game should be played with a bit of devil and imagination. If he could put a bit of sparkle into out free kicks and corners so much the better because they've been worse than poor all season.

Trouble is, all newish coaches should be like that otherwise they shouldn't get a badge. But they're not. Too many are ex-footballers who didn't even have imagination as players, they were just functional.

They are virtually guaranteed a badge as phase two of their career path but are not natural or inventive coaches by any means. It is time we had someone to put a smile back on the face of Leicester City's football.

Someone who can persuade players to lift their game beyond the ordinary.

Trouble is even the England selectors cannot find an Englishman who fits the bill and this, together with the point that Rooney's injury has left many feeling England have no chance in the world cup, is testimony to the damage all the ordinary foreign players are doing to our game.

Because if we produce too few players (through filling our squad with indifferent imports) we in turn produce too few coaches.

Someone who is young and dynamic with ideas and personality who believes the game should be played with a bit of devil and imagination. If he could put a bit of sparkle into out free kicks and corners so much the better because they've been worse than poor all season.

Trouble is, all newish coaches should be like that otherwise they shouldn't get a badge. But they're not. Too many are ex-footballers who didn't even have imagination as players, they were just functional.

They are virtually guaranteed a badge as phase two of their career path but are not natural or inventive coaches by any means. It is time we had someone to put a smile back on the face of Leicester City's football.

Trouble is even the England selectors cannot find an Englishman who fits the bill and this, together with the point that Rooney's injury has left many feeling England have no chance in the world cup, is testimony to the damage all the ordinary foreign players are doing to our game.

Because if we produce too few players (through filling our squad with indifferent imports) we in turn produce too few coaches.

i actually think this is one area leicester need someone who has experience, what would be the point in getting someone who is specifically young and up and coming, its not a job for someone to move up to the job as manager its to support kelly and the best way to do that is giving him valuable experience (like graydon has done) its not as if we can train up a young coach and sell him on it is not a players position!!

Got to leave the choice to Rob and that is exactly what the club are doing (having agreed a budget).

The management team have to work as a tight unit, with each person focusing on their strengths & from Rob's comments it appears that his talents weren't made the most of by CL.

Got to leave the choice to Rob and that is exactly what the club are doing (having agreed a budget).

The management team have to work as a tight unit, with each person focusing on their strengths & from Rob's comments it appears that his talents weren't made the most of by CL.

Glad to hear it's his decision to make. I think that's the way it should be. It wasn't that way for CL (rightly so) as he didn't have experience of the English leagues.

I think Rob will go and get an old colleague from Blackburn or something. I wouldn't think he'll take more than one coach from Blackburn tho, if he wants more than one coach (or if he's allowed more than one).

Glad to hear it's his decision to make. I think that's the way it should be. It wasn't that way for CL (rightly so) as he didn't have experience of the English leagues.

I think Rob will go and get an old colleague from Blackburn or something. I wouldn't think he'll take more than one coach from Blackburn tho, if he wants more than one coach (or if he's allowed more than one).

I agree with 'The Blackburn Scenario' (a Robert Ludlum novel ?). Can anyone confirm if Tony Parkes IS at Blackpool (with ol' 'Larry' Grayson) - and is he on a permanent contract (as Assistant ?) or 'just helping out' ? I know RK was quoted as saying that Parkes had "one of the best heads for football he'd known and he'd learnt so much from him" - sounds like a good 'reference' !?

Matt Elliot would be 1 coach i would love to have at leicester along side a older wiser head as RK number 2

yeah cos hes a well known coach with plenty of coaching experience and should be brilliant as a coach, he is such a good coach he could work for Kinches.... do they still do coaches?

He could be the club drinking coach...allegedly! :devil:

:doh::/

I agree with 'The Blackburn Scenario' (a Robert Ludlum novel ?). Can anyone confirm if Tony Parkes IS at Blackpool (with ol' 'Larry' Grayson) - and is he on a permanent contract (as Assistant ?) or 'just helping out' ? I know RK was quoted as saying that Parkes had "one of the best heads for football he'd known and he'd learnt so much from him" - sounds like a good 'reference' !?

Parkes is assistant manager to Larry at blackpool and under contract.

yeah cos hes a well known coach with plenty of coaching experience and should be brilliant as a coach, he is such a good coach he could work for Kinches.... do they still do coaches?

He could be the club drinking coach...allegedly! :devil:

nevermind being a coach I heard that "ALLEGEDLY" he couldn't even get on the coach because he was to pi55ed from the night before on more than one occasion

Parkes is assistant manager to Larry at blackpool and under contract.

Wouldn't cost too much for us to buy Parkes out of his contract, I guess ? Though I suppose there's always the likelihood that he wouldn't want to leave the North West - most of his (footballing) life has been in Blackburn & Blackpool (poor guy !) - we might have to rename ourselves Blackleicester FC !

I personally think Gary MacAllister or Colin Lee would be good options. Gary Mac must now be ready for a return to football - he lives locally and knows as much about City as anyone - hasn't he been used by Radio Leicester recently (RK must know him, they were in our squad together in the 80's for 2/3 years - though what he thinks of him, I'm not sure - didn't Gary 'supplant' Kelly in our midfield at the time ?!) And wasn't Lee being mooted as a possible Coach before Graydon was appointed (someone saw him sitting in the Director's box at one match ?) - its only those 'head in the sand' people who witter on about him deserting us when Magoo left who might object surely (and as I've said before, you can't hold him to blame for going with Magoo - they were supposed to be a 'management team' - if he didn't go with the Jock, we weren't about to appoint him as Manager and he'd be out of work !)

Now that RK has sorted out his (retained) playing squad, presumably he'll be sitting down (with the Chairman/Chief Exec) and talking about the Coach/Assistant job(s). Has anyone heard anything - whispers/grapevine etc ?

Now that RK has sorted out his (retained) playing squad, presumably he'll be sitting down (with the Chairman/Chief Exec) and talking about the Coach/Assistant job(s). Has anyone heard anything - whispers/grapevine etc ?

He's already spoken to the board about it and agreed a budget with them for coaching staff.

I've just had a phone call from a mate who a journalist on the Walsall Observer. He was at the Bescot Press conference yesterday, when Walsall's new manager was introduced (Richard Money, ex-Scunny - to quote Peter Cook !). One of the questions asked of their Chairman, was what other people he'd considered - he wittered on about lot of interest, lot of talent etc etc, but said they had approached 2 ex-Walsall Managers. When pressed, he admitted that they were Ray Graydon and Colin Lee. He said Graydon turned them down because of travelling issues (same as us) and Lee told him that HE WAS ABOUT TO TAKE UP THE OFFER OF AN ASSISTANT MANAGER'S JOB AT AN EAST MIDLAND'S CLUB ! Now that could mean Derby or Forest (both looking I am sure) - or a few others - but it COULD MEAN US !

I've just had a phone call from a mate who a journalist on the Walsall Observer. He was at the Bescot Press conference yesterday, when Walsall's new manager was introduced (Richard Money, ex-Scunny - to quote Peter Cook !). One of the questions asked of their Chairman, was what other people he'd considered - he wittered on about lot of interest, lot of talent etc etc, but said they had approached 2 ex-Walsall Managers. When pressed, he admitted that they were Ray Graydon and Colin Lee. He said Graydon turned them down because of travelling issues (same as us) and Lee told him that HE WAS ABOUT TO TAKE UP THE OFFER OF AN ASSISTANT MANAGER'S JOB AT AN EAST MIDLAND'S CLUB ! Now that could mean Derby or Forest (both looking I am sure) - or a few others - but it COULD MEAN US !

Haven't you told us before that the club were keen to bring Colin Lee back in some capacity? I know someone did a few months ago. Personally I don't like the man.

Haven't you told us before that the club were keen to bring Colin Lee back in some capacity? I know someone did a few months ago. Personally I don't like the man.

I had heard from a friend who's a Vice President, that Lee was at the City for a match in Feb (I can't remember which one) AT THE INVITE OF TIM DAVIES, sitting in the Director's Box. After the game he was heard talking animatedly to Davies and McCahill about his ideas for the club. Now at that time obviously, RK was only Caretaker, so Lee could have been being 'sized up' for the Manager's job; but, I seem to remember a report on Radio Leicester just before Graydon was appointed, that Lee was being considered for the Assistant/Coach's job. Apparently, RK knows Lee well from Lee's time as Walsall Manager (I'm not sure if Rob was an Express & Star journo or Academy Coach at Wolves at the time, or had moved on to Watford/Blackburn) - and HAS A LOT OF RESPECT FOR HIM !

Archived