Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Opta Championship review

From Sky

2005-06 was a memorable campaign in English football's second tier, with Reading setting an all-time record of 106 points, a total based largely on their sterling run of just one defeat in their final 45 league games.

An opening day home loss to Plymouth Argyle was certainly not a sign of things to come for the Berkshire side.

The three relegated teams, Brighton, Crewe and Millwall, virtually monopolised the bottom three positions from January onwards, with The Lions resident in the drop zone from October until the season's close.

Leicester City were the only other side to slip into the relegation places in 2006 but a late season surge by The Foxes saw them finish well clear.

QPR finished in 21st, after a dismal run of six defeats in their last seven games that saw the Londoners slip from a mid-table berth to the lowest possible survival position.

The anomaly of the season were Stoke City who finished in 13th place and 16 points clear of the relegation zone despite losing a total of 22 matches.

Indeed, none of the three demoted clubs lost more than 22 games all season, and it was Stoke's ability to win games when other clubs could only draw that saw them stay clear of trouble.

Norwich City failed in their efforts to return to The Premiership at the first attempt but there were a few plus points for The Canaries.

Firstly they were the best supported team in the division, and secondly they gained more points from losing positions than any other side - 24.

In total, the East Anglians came from behind to win six times, a figure that only Stoke could match.

Crewe Alexandra were the team who threw away the most points from a winning position - 35 - and Hull were not much better, losing five times in games in which they had been leading.

Hull's Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Wednesday were the only Championship side who did not lose a match from a leading position in 2005-06, a statistic that will give succour to Owls fans for next season.

The top three teams were the sides most likely to score first, with Reading opening the scoring in 35 of their 46 games, while Sheffield United and Watford both did so in 27 matches.

Millwall scored the first goal in only 11 matches, a handicap that hugely contributed to their eventual relegation.

While champions Reading were the goal kings of the division, with 99 strikes finding the back of the net, the defensive stars played for Preston North End who let in only 30 goals in their 46 games.

The Lancashire side also kept 24 clean sheets, a seasonal high in The Championship.

Crewe managed only four shut outs all season, and there were 143 goals in The Railwaymen's league games this season, more than any other club.

Plymouth failed to score in a league-high 21 separate matches, yet still finished in 14th place, while only two sides, Watford (twice) and Southampton, prevented Reading from scoring in a league game.

nice. fair review. not good to see us mentioned for the wrong reason. why doesnt Joey get a mention for being the only player to score from his own half (halfway line included as i belive it was bang on the line when he struck it).

This is off topic,Solihullfox I also live in Solihull,small world eh!Anyway back on topic,I wish you stayed in that drop zone so we could be meeting next season,there's going to be a lot of long journeys again next season for us!

This is off topic,Solihullfox I also live in Solihull,small world eh!Anyway back on topic,I wish you stayed in that drop zone so we could be meeting next season,there's going to be a lot of long journeys again next season for us!

I hope you have fun at Carlisle next season.

Hey, don't knock Carlisle! You can take in a weekend in the Lakes as well as visiting the 21st century stadium that is Brunton Park! Avoid the Bovril and the Pies tho...and the locals...still in a hooligan time warp!

nice. fair review. not good to see us mentioned for the wrong reason. why doesnt Joey get a mention for being the only player to score from his own half (halfway line included as i belive it was bang on the line when he struck it).

Chris Eagles for Watford at Brighton in Feb.

Which bit of Solihull Chris ?

If I spot a trees shirt I can probably assume it's you and hurl specific footballing abuse at you :D only joking !

Which bit of Solihull Chris ?

If I spot a trees shirt I can probably assume it's you and hurl specific footballing abuse at you :D only joking !

Shirley,I will return the compliment if I see a Leicester shirt in Solihull :D

Chris Eagles for Watford at Brighton in Feb.

bullshit. so what he volleyed it? agree it was a decent goal as way Joeys but beckhams halfway line won goal of the millenium all cos he plays for moan utd. and joey gets nothing not a sniff cos he plays for leicester.

Eagles goal was from well in front of the half way line, i'm sure of it. Mind you Joeys wasn't an intended shot.....

Disagree, he looked up and then specifically aimed for goal, also it was actually a shot not like most of attempts which are more of a lob/punt.

The leading scorer in the Championship doesn't even get a mention so you can't expect individuals from a team that finished 16th to get talked about. Watford hardly get a mention in general and they've done very well this season.

but we scored the quickest goal of the season, the longest range goal (in terms of up the pitch, Eagles was nearer the wing so distance maybe greater whereas Joeys was from in the centre circle on the halfway line). we knocked out the highest placed (at the time) premiership team in the f.a cup 3rd round for a championship side.

Disagree, he looked up and then specifically aimed for goal, also it was actually a shot not like most of attempts which are more of a lob/punt.

No he didn't, he looked up as Fryatt was making a run, he simply overhit the pass to Fryatt, I sit in the Kop directly in line with where he hit it from. From the side view it looks as if he's purposely tried to lob the keeper but it was an overhit pass.

No he didn't, he looked up as Fryatt was making a run, he simply overhit the pass to Fryatt, I sit in the Kop directly in line with where he hit it from. From the side view it looks as if he's purposely tried to lob the keeper but it was an overhit pass.

I sit in the kop as well so we'll have to agree to disagree. :P

Archived