Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
loza15

Where do we need to improve

New Players Needed!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Where do we need to bulk up??

• Goalkeeper
    • Right back
    • Centre back
    • Left back
    • Right mid
    • Centre mid
    • Left mid
    • Striker

Guest Gist

Keeper, left back, right winger, left winger, combative central midfielder and possibly a striker.

:):):)

:rolleyes:

Yeh your right we could do with all them, but I can't see it happening :D

I think its pretty obvious where we need to improve! we got a decent defence that looks ok and a couple of strikers that can score!

However our midfield is shocking & would probably struggle in league one! Hughes and williams have one decent game in 10...!Sylla non existent...hammil...enough said about him...I dont want to put to much pressure on weslowski but he looks like the only decent midfielder we got!

In order of priority:

Two midfielders

Two wingers

One left-back

One goalkeeper

That is six players.

Joey, Lee Morris and Welsh have already gone from the wage bill and it doesn't sound as if Tiatto's desperate to sign. Sylla, Hamill, Gerrbrand and Douglas or Henderson could join them for me making eight players in all.

Joey and Welsh were involuntary losses but otherwise the remainder do not represent any goals for the season, nor for that matter many assists.

All of the six newcomers apart from the goalkeeper should be capable of attacking.

Porter, Chambers, Sheehan, Dodds (all young and capable of making/scoring goals) should be in the squad (though I doubt if they will be and I know it will upset Manwell Pablo which gives me no pleasure :( ) but that would give us a working group of around 22 which is quite enough.

Allow four injured at any one time and six/seven covering the starting 11 and you will cope with all normal eventualities without having too many players grumbling that they are not involved, something that Kelly will have to guard against judging by his approach so far.

There is nothing worse for team morale than unhappy players especially if they believe they have more right to be in the side than someone else.

All of that said we should be seeking to improve every position all the time when possible, not necessarily by constantly changing the personnel but through the coaches making each player more effective.

Examples: McCarthy can be a more dangerous attacker from set pieces. Kisnorbo and Nils can work on their distribution, Williams can continue to work on his shots ratio which has been improving and on improving his overall involvement, Hammond on being more clinical with his shooting and so on.

Being self or collectively satisfied should not be an option and every place should be under threat/interchangeable with equally good reserves.

I understand Kelly not changing his team until we were safe given the special circumstances of his taking over as manager but not afterwards and not in the future. The only time the team should feel safe is when they win AND play well. In truth, we didn't play well very often last season. If we want our club to be special in the future you have to be demanding.

That is NOT to knock what our better players did last season. Collectively they did us proud under Kelly (people like Kisnorbo and Johansson lifted their game dramatically) but individually everyone must be prepared to aim higher and to improve still further if they want to remain involved.

I think Tiatto is keeping his options open at the moment. If he doesn't get a better offer towards the end of the month he may well take the deal on offer from us.

It's important that RK brings in an experienced coach in order to carry out the work that needs doing with the current squad in pre-season. There are a number of individual and collective weaknesses that have already been sussed out by opposing teams. We must address these and develop sufficient tactics and personnel.

The youngsters promoted to the first team had mixed results, but the opportunities should still be there for them if RK decides they are ready.

Archived