Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

Stephen Hughes

I am still undecided whether hughesy is quite up to the challenge of next seasons campaign. Since he arrived he has always had niggling injuries and when he plays he never seems committed. I know he is playing out of position on the wing but his lack of pace and undesirable quality and variety of passing makes me believe that we shouldn't play him.

If any of you disagree please try and justify yourselves because i cannot see much good about the lad.

I am still undecided whether hughesy is quite up to the challenge of next seasons campaign. Since he arrived he has always had niggling injuries and when he plays he never seems committed. I know he is playing out of position on the wing but his lack of pace and undesirable quality and variety of passing makes me believe that we shouldn't play him.

If any of you disagree please try and justify yourselves because i cannot see much good about the lad.

What exactly do you mean by undesirable quality?

I think that with a full pre-season under his belt this lad can be a major asset. Its false that he lacks pace. He just fails to use it enoug (only usually uses it when, say, he loses control of the ball). The end of last season showed me that he can be a good player for us and i believe that it aws only due to getting injured during pre-season last season that we didnt see the best of him. He never really looked right.

What exactly do you mean by undesirable quality?

I think that with a full pre-season under his belt this lad can be a major asset. Its false that he lacks pace. He just fails to use it enoug (only usually uses it when, say, he loses control of the ball). The end of last season showed me that he can be a good player for us and i believe that it aws only due to getting injured during pre-season last season that we didnt see the best of him. He never really looked right.

Oh no its true, you must be watching the wrong player

I'm not being funny but you asked people for their opinion and to justify it, which lcfc8hume has just quite clearly done so why did you react like that? People are always going to have different opinions, and you have to accept that.

'Fraid not 'whatever your name is'. I am in a perfect position to judge if someone has pace or not and anybody who says Hughes lacks pace is wrong. As said before, he just doesnt use it as often as he should.

Im afraid it must be you that is watching the wrong player.That is my opinion anyway. Is that O.K? :thumbup:

'Fraid not 'whatever your name is'. I am in a perfect position to judge if someone has pace or not and anybody who says Hughes lacks pace is wrong. As said before, he just doesnt use it as often as he should.

Im afraid it must be you that is watching the wrong player.That is my opinion anyway. Is that O.K? :thumbup:

Yeah

I think anyone who saw Hughes play during the second half of the 2004/05 season will agree that he's got the right qualities to succeed at this level. He was one of very few bright sparks that season. Last season was not great for him but I think you have to start how you mean to go on and his start to last season was staggered due to his injury problems. He was playing catch up for the majority of the season and I think he was brought back too soon too often. He managed to get 3 goals during those important games we played during the run in and that was whilst playing on the left. Gareth Williams made almost as many starts as Hughes last season, in his preferred position, and managed just one goal. Should we be doubting his ability and whether he'll do the business next season? I think there's as much of a reason to doubt Williams as there is to doubt Hughes. As for doubting Hughes' commitment, well that's another thing which could be asked of Williams as much as Hughes.

I think anyone who saw Hughes play during the second half of the 2004/05 season will agree that he's got the right qualities to succeed at this level. He was one of very few bright sparks that season. Last season was not great for him but I think you have to start how you mean to go on and his start to last season was staggered due to his injury problems. He was playing catch up for the majority of the season and I think he was brought back too soon too often. He managed to get 3 goals during those important games we played during the run in and that was whilst playing on the left. Gareth Williams made almost as many starts as Hughes last season, in his preferred position, and managed just one goal. Should we be doubting his ability and whether he'll do the business next season? I think there's as much of a reason to doubt Williams as there is to doubt Hughes. As for doubting Hughes' commitment, well that's another thing which could be asked of Williams as much as Hughes.

Exactly what i meant. The lad has definitely the ability and the application. He has just been unlucky so far.

He impressed me in 04-05. He needs to get fully fit by August. I was a bit surprised he wasn't withdrawn before the end of last season in preparation for the coming campaign. I think he's still got a big part to play.

While that may be your opinion, no one has to justify anything to you.

Your knowledge of the game is clearly limited. You are one of these tools that will be down the pub on Saturday with your face painted and cheering on Stevie Lampard aint'cha?

Stephen Hughes has undoubted quality. Just gotta let the lad go out there and play his football. There's a lot of talent and creativity in the shape of Williams/Hughes.... it's just getting a shape where they can both perform most effectively.

I seem to remember RicFlair saying when Hughesy's injuries cleared and he started to hit top form he would be a big asset. And because Ric has pretty sound judgement when it comes to players I kept waiting and waiting and waiting.

But, for whatever reasons, he was never more than a nuisance really.

He got an important goal or two but scored far too few for an attacking midfielder (four all told in League and Cup as I recall). He didn't make many because his passing is basic rather than imaginative and although he clearly has plenty of stamina and is undoubtedly hard-working he is lightweight in the tackle and doesn't seem good enough to stamp his authority on any position.

In truth his greatest assets are his work rate and almost constant availability.

In my view his place needs to be strengthened.

While that may be your opinion, no one has to justify anything to you.

Your knowledge of the game is clearly limited. You are one of these tools that will be down the pub on Saturday with your face painted and cheering on Stevie Lampard aint'cha?

First of all i wanted people to justify their reasons so i can see why i might be wrong.

Secondly everyone has justified their reasons so why are you being awkward?

Finally I am too young to drink so I'm hardly going to go down the pub.

Thanks to the rest of you by the way, i can see where your coming from but until i see him play next season my opinion probably won't change!

First of all i wanted people to justify their reasons so i can see why i might be wrong.

Secondly everyone has justified their reasons so why are you being awkward?

Finally I am too young to drink so I'm hardly going to go down the pub.

Thanks to the rest of you by the way, i can see where your coming from but until i see him play next season my opinion probably won't change!

I think Hughes has been one of our better players & there is some decent players here (I think that justifies itself). The big problem with Hughes & I thought this from the start when we signed him. He needs to put some weight on. He's only 9st.06. He's a great passer & I think he is very talented but to do battle with some of the teams in this league he needs to be tougher.

I seem to remember RicFlair saying when Hughesy's injuries cleared and he started to hit top form he would be a big asset. And because Ric has pretty sound judgement when it comes to players I kept waiting and waiting and waiting.

But, for whatever reasons, he was never more than a nuisance really.

He got an important goal or two but scored far too few for an attacking midfielder (four all told in League and Cup as I recall). He didn't make many because his passing is basic rather than imaginative and although he clearly has plenty of stamina and is undoubtedly hard-working he is lightweight in the tackle and doesn't seem good enough to stamp his authority on any position.

In truth his greatest assets are his work rate and almost constant availability.

In my view his place needs to be strengthened.

The most frustrating thing about Hughes is that we have seen him being devastatingly creative and imaginative. But not for 12 months. My hope is that we can write off last season as one in which he never got 100% match-fit, either a) we will sign a solid partner for him to play alongside in central midfield or b) Weso will do the job, and he can get back to his best position at full fitness - something that I don't think we saw at all last season?

Guest Gist

I think Hughes has been one of our better players & there is some decent players here (I think that justifies itself). The big problem with Hughes & I thought this from the start when we signed him. He needs to put some weight on. He's only 9st.06. He's a great passer & I think he is very talented but to do battle with some of the teams in this league he needs to be tougher.

Yeah I agree he has the ability to do well in this league and if he can shake off all his injuries and toughen up he could potentially have a good season for us.

Last season was extremely disappointing from him. I was expecting more after his performances in the 04-05 campaign.

He is too lightweight for this division and doesn't get involved and stamp his authority. Obviously it doesn't help when he's playing left midfield or right midfield but even on the rare occasions when he has played in the centre I've been less than impressed.

Yes his work rate is good, but until he strengthens his muscles and exerts some influence I think he'll get overshadowed and overpowered.

I'm giving him 10-15 games to prove his worth again, because he has got to improve if he's to become a firm fixture in the team.

Archived