Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

Stephen Hughes

When i spoke to him a couple of months back he admitted he had been shite and that he still had a bad ankle. He said that he will be having a small operation this summer in time for next season.

When i spoke to him a couple of months back he admitted he had been shite and that he still had a bad ankle. He said that he will be having a small operation this summer in time for next season.

Thanks for that information. I think if what you've said is true, and I have no reason to think it's not, then people will be able to understand why Hughes didn't look the same player last season as he did when he first joined us. He had dodgy knees when he came here but they haven't seemed a problem at any time so hopefully once his ankles are finally sorted, the problem will stay away. Last season was such a stop-start season for him that I think it would be unfair to judge him on it, just as we can't judge him just by his performances when he first joined. Next season is a big one for him.

Thanks for that information. I think if what you've said is true, and I have no reason to think it's not, then people will be able to understand why Hughes didn't look the same player last season as he did when he first joined us. He had dodgy knees when he came here but they haven't seemed a problem at any time so hopefully once his ankles are finally sorted, the problem will stay away. Last season was such a stop-start season for him that I think it would be unfair to judge him on it, just as we can't judge him just by his performances when he first joined. Next season is a big one for him.

He did well when you had him on the back of your old shirt Jonny :ph34r:

First of all i wanted people to justify their reasons so i can see why i might be wrong.

Secondly everyone has justified their reasons so why are you being awkward?

Finally I am too young to drink so I'm hardly going to go down the pub.

Thanks to the rest of you by the way, i can see where your coming from but until i see him play next season my opinion probably won't change!

Whilst I don't particularly agree with you Dan, don't feel you have to justify your own beliefs because some bully insults you. Stand your ground....

Hughes is class, technically, but playing him out of position doesn't help at all. played in the right position he could make it into a mediocre Prem team, Fulham etc.

And on the pace front, just 'cos he aint the fastest doesn't mean he doesn't have any, he only uses this when he really needs to.

I think if he stays fit he will be a real quality player. He played some lovely passes (and Williams) and ran into some great positions when I have seen him play. :D:D:P;):thumbup: Playing alongside Wesolowski will bring the best out of him and Williams.

I seem to remember RicFlair saying when Hughesy's injuries cleared and he started to hit top form he would be a big asset. And because Ric has pretty sound judgement when it comes to players I kept waiting and waiting and waiting.

But, for whatever reasons, he was never more than a nuisance really.

He got an important goal or two but scored far too few for an attacking midfielder (four all told in League and Cup as I recall). He didn't make many because his passing is basic rather than imaginative and although he clearly has plenty of stamina and is undoubtedly hard-working he is lightweight in the tackle and doesn't seem good enough to stamp his authority on any position.

In truth his greatest assets are his work rate and almost constant availability.

In my view his place needs to be strengthened.

I have to agree with what you are saying here. I'm not making any excuses for Hughes, he was very poor last season. Yes, he was injured for alot of the season, but he still massively under-achieved. He scored a few important goals for us, but even that can't cloud over the fact that he was absent in most of the games he played to a level that might even be embarrassing to Gareth Williams.

I saw Hughes at Rangers and he looked top class, I couldn't believe we actually signed him and especially for just £100,000. But if he doesn't find that form from his Rangers days and his first 10-15 games at Leicester then he should be bounced out of here. Big season for him next season, I just hope he doesn't suffer any injuries to give people excuses for him.

He does have the talent, but he also has is weak points. But if he finds his true form, then he's more than good enough for this level. It's about confidence and desire, that's up to him and the manager to sort out.

His lack of pace (thats notable on the pitch!!) means he's never really going to be a wide player got the feeling he was just filling in that position last season.

Always remember his goal v Spurs in the cup :thumbup:

Archived