Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

The Stockport Thread

Elvis is in form, no matter what anyone says. If you think its because we are playing leage two sides then why has fryatt been off the pace so much?

He obviously likes the o grady partnership, at last we have a it of competition for hume and fryatt.

I've been expecting it for some time. Effort wise and speed wise he's our kind of player and now it looks like he's taking some chances. I'm thrilled for him and for City. It's like a new signing in effect but he never chucked the towel in last season and at last he seems to be maturing as a player.

thracian judging by what you say you'd have Leciester playing 4 upfront. The most successful teams in the Championship play 4-4-2 in the present era. The days of 3-5-2 are long gone.

It doesnt always appear on paper that the members of our squad are best suited to 4-4-2, however I think Maybury and Stearman proved last season that they could build an effective partnership and make it work. Hopefully Tiatto and Johannsson/Sheenan can build a similar rapport.

As for Hammond's form I think certain people on here are getting far too carried away by friendlies. If he can do it in a Championship game then fair enough. I personally doubt his reliabilty and would still be my 4th choice even with his abundant pace.

Perhaps Fryatt hasnt been firing on all cylinders but not all players show their true form in friendlies. He may be slowly building himself for the start of the season when he is ready to peak

From the OS

Latest: Stockport 1-1 Leicester City (65)

County had the first chance of the second half. Malcolm made room on the edge of the area and fired off a powerful shot, but Henderson was up to the task.

The home side came close again on 52 minutes. Briggs planted a thumping header goalwards following a corner from the right, but Kisnorbo was there to clear off his own line.

Latest: Stockport 1-1 Leicester City (70 min)

Substitute Levi Porter was unlucky not to give Leicester the lead on 69 minutes. The pint-sized winger cut inside from the left and fired in a fierce cross-cum-shot, but Spencer was able to make the block.

City: Paul Henderson, Richard Stearman (Alan Maybury 72), Gareth McAuley, Patrick Kisnorbo ©, Nils-Eric Johansson (Alan Sheehan 72), Josh Low, Andy Johnson (Williams 60), Stephen Hughes, Danny Tiatto (Levi Porter 67), Chris O'Grady (Iain Hume 67), Elvis Hammond (Matty Fryatt 67).

Subs: Conrad Logan, Louis Dodds.

thracian judging by what you say you'd have Leciester playing 4 upfront. The most successful teams in the Championship play 4-4-2 in the present era. The days of 3-5-2 are long gone.

It doesnt always appear on paper that the members of our squad are best suited to 4-4-2, however I think Maybury and Stearman proved last season that they could build an effective partnership and make it work. Hopefully Tiatto and Johannsson/Sheenan can build a similar rapport.

As for Hammond's form I think certain people on here are getting far too carried away by friendlies. If he can do it in a Championship game then fair enough. I personally doubt his reliabilty and would still be my 4th choice even with his abundant pace.

Perhaps Fryatt hasnt been firing on all cylinders but not all players show their true form in friendlies. He may be slowly building himself for the start of the season when he is ready to peak

I don't give a toss what other teams do. If our national team was an example of state-of-the-art coaching I am not impressed. All I want is our players using to their best advantage.

As I've explained before - the system should fit the players rather than the players having to fit some pre-conceived system.

Organisation is important in ensuring everyone knows the tasks expected of them but systems should be fluid enough to emphasise strengths and minimise weaknesses. Often the best way of doing the latter is to concentrate on the former but we rarely emphasise our strengths at Leicester.

Why? Because we are forever having to compensate for the limitations of certain players who are only capable of doing part of their job.

I really don't like it but I can cope with Maybury/Stearman on the right but then there's no way you can play other essentially harassing players like Hughes and Tiatto at the same time, or Nils at left back. There is simply a defensive imbalance.

Of those four players (not counting Stearman) the most we should play at one time is two.

I don't give a toss what other teams do. If our national team was an example of state-of-the-art coaching I am not impressed. All I want is our players using to their best advantage.

As I've explained before - the system should fit the players rather than the players having to fit some pre-conceived system.

Organisation is important in ensuring everyone knows the tasks expected of them but systems should be fluid enough to emphasise strengths and minimise weaknesses. Often the best way of doing the latter is to concentrate on the former but we rarely emphasise our strengths at Leicester.

Why? Because we are forever having to compensate for the limitations of certain players who are only capable of doing part of their job.

but the point is that most if not all the players are used to playing 4-4-2 and Rob Kelly feels that it is the formation that will get the most out of them

From the OS

Latest: Stockport 1-2 Leicester City (83 min)

The game was evenly matched, and next it was Stockport's turn to come close. Damien Allen beat the off-side trap and tried his luck from the edge of the area on 79 minutes, but Henderson was on hand to pull off a fine save.

But it would be Leicester who would take the lead with seven minutes of the game remaining - Gareth Williams curling a sublime free-kick around the Stockport wall from 25 yards and giving Spencer no chance.

but the point is that most if not all the players are used to playing 4-4-2 and Rob Kelly feels that it is the formation that will get the most out of them

no no don't be silly, play a striker or attacking midfielder in every position :thumbup:

we will win every game 20 - 0

From the OS

Latest: Stockport 1-3 Leicester City (87 min)

Latest from Edgeley Park

And Matty Fryatt made it three with his first goal of pre-season on 87 minutes following a mistake by Michael Bowler in the Stockport defence.

Att: 1,750

Guest Gist

I'm pleased for him we need him to start performing and a goal under his belt (even if it is against Stockport) can only do him good.

I understand that it's his preferred system (and I've nothing against it when we have the right players) but in every sport, golf, cricket, rugby, boxing, squash, players have to be able to adapt their tactics to suit their personnel, the opposition's strengths/weaknesses and the particular circumstances of the game.

Put simply we cannot afford to leave many in-form players on the bench, we have to be flexible and utilise our strengths. Especially as there is every indication that we will continue conceding at least a goal a game in general.

That means scoring two to win and I've stated loud and clear that unless we do something (like fielding three forwards) we won't score the 70+ goals necessary.

* PS: Sounds like Kelly did put some creativity in midfield and we ended up with three goals. In fact I'd be more than interested to hear the line up in the second half.

And even considering the limitations of the opposition, three away wins is encouraging and I wonder if it significant that we seem to be doing better second half when more creative players are being used.

Is that really just me trying to support an argument or is it an important pointer?. I'd be interested to hear comment from someone who watched the matches.

Archived