Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Reserve team

Does the loss of the reserve team mean the squads fringe players, the likes of Sheehan, Porter, O Grady etc will get frustrated and loke to move on? or does it make them work that bit harder to get into the first team?

I remember Kevein Keegan scrapping the reserve team at Newcastle when he was manager there.

Thoughts?

Rob Kelly has been greatly involved with young players and has excellent staff so I imagine he will do as he and the club have hinted. A programme of reserve fixtures will be arranged with nearby League teams of suitable quality, perhaps even an unofficial League of home and away games.

Whether any of those will be open to the public I don't know but to abandon such a team right now with the fruits of many years' labour starting to show through seems illogical.

Everyone sees me as biased, I know.

But I would sooner trust 18/19 year old players who have come through six years of preparation in the ways of Leicester City than some, by definition, second class reject who has arrived on bigger wages but who has no knowledge of our ways, our players or any particular interest in our club.

The only signings I want coming straight into the first team are people who are categorically better than what we've got.

Look at what the Academy set-up is producing...

Stearman, O'Grady, Wesolowski are genuine first teamers. Their value is growing and we certainly couldn't afford to buy em now if they belonged to someone else.

Porter, Dodds, Sheehan and Gradel appear to be next in line. That's getting close to a full team and I doubt we could buy them at market value in 12/18 months time.

I think there are others to follow. Why buy in when you can develop people of the necessary standard from within your own ranks?.

I have seen it before and in other sports. Get one or two top quality youngsters who achieve worthwhile success and it acts as a catalyst for others and will continue to do so until we get a manager or directors who don't believe in that approach.

We are on a role in this respect which is why it is so important that get these kids over the final hurdle and not see them drift away out of frustration. My gut feeling is that Kelly believes that otherwise he wouldn't (surely) have extended their contracts, though I wish Levi's was longer.

Quite apart from the individual waste, the young players are close knit and any disillusionment will quickly spread among them and have a demotivating effect.

They need matches, the strongest competition they can get. Other clubs that are committed to such development will feel the same and have the same problems if their are not in the Premier Reserve League.

Because of that I believe City will fix those games, no problem but they need to be public because the youngsters love and benefit from the publicity and interest, it gives them a taste of the big time, makes them feel important.

Maybe the Foxes Trust could make enquiries about the current thinking.

PS: Just the latest achievements by barely heard of City youngsters from the OS...

"City youngsters Joe Mattock and Andy King were both involved for their respective nations on Tuesday evening.

Mattock was part of the England under 17 side that gained a 4-2 victory over Sweden in the Nordic tournament which is being held on the Faroe Islands, while King made his Welsh under 19s debut in their 3-0 defeat to the USA in Northern Ireland.

Both players will be hoping to continue their progress up the City ranks during the coming season.

Meanwhile, the club hope to release their Academy fixture list for the coming season before the end of the week."

Good player King. Not seen much of Mattock.

Rob Kelly has been greatly involved with young players and has excellent staff so I imagine he will do as he and the club have hinted. A programme of reserve fixtures will be arranged with nearby League teams of suitable quality, perhaps even an unofficial League of home and away games.

Whether any of those will be open to the public I don't know but to abandon such a team right now with the fruits of many years' labour starting to show through seems illogical.

But I would sooner trust 18/19 year old players who have come through six years of preparation in the ways of Leicester City than some, by definition, second class reject who has arrived on bigger wages but who has no knowledge of our ways, our players or any particular interest in our club.

The only signings I want coming straight into the first team are people who are categorically better than what we've got.

Stearman, O'Grady, Wesolowski are genuine first teamers. Their value is growing and we certainly couldn't afford to buy em now if they belonged to someone else.

Porter, Dodds, Sheehan and Gradel appear to be next in line. That's getting close to a full team and I doubt we could buy them at market value in 12/18 months time.

I think there are others to follow. Why buy in when you can develop people of the necessary standard from within your own ranks?.

I have seen it before and in other sports. Get one or two top quality youngsters who achieve worthwhile success and it acts as a catalyst for others and will continue to do so until we get a manager or directors who don't believe in that approach.

We are on a role in this respect which is why it is so important that get these kids over the final hurdle and not see them drift away out of frustration. My gut feeling is that Kelly believes that otherwise he wouldn't (surely) have extended their contracts, though I wish Levi's was longer.

Quite apart from the individual waste, the young players are close knit and any disillusionment will quickly spread among them and have a demotivating effect.

They need matches, the strongest competition they can get. Other clubs that are committed to such development will feel the same and have the same problems if their are not in the Premier Reserve League.

Because of that I believe City will fix those games, no problem but they need to be public because the youngsters love and benefit from the publicity and interest, it gives them a taste of the big time, makes them feel important.

succinctly put :whistle:

The lack of a reserve team should act as a stark warning regarding our finances, bearing in mind we have just offloaded 2 players and RK isn't able to bring in anyone else.

It's all well and good arranging bounce games ad-hoc, but this will impact upon us midway through the season, especially if we have players who need run outs after injury etc...

PS: Just the latest achievements by barely heard of City youngsters from the OS...

"City youngsters Joe Mattock and Andy King were both involved for their respective nations on Tuesday evening.

Mattock was part of the England under 17 side that gained a 4-2 victory over Sweden in the Nordic tournament which is being held on the Faroe Islands, while King made his Welsh under 19s debut in their 3-0 defeat to the USA in Northern Ireland.

Both players will be hoping to continue their progress up the City ranks during the coming season.

Meanwhile, the club hope to release their Academy fixture list for the coming season before the end of the week."

Good player King. Not seen much of Mattock.

Mattock is very talented, very aggressive for his age aswell (in a good way though). Shocked that Chambers isn't playing for the under 17's, I wonder why not? He's been the most lethal finisher at that age group for England last season.

I wonder if any of Chambers school pals who come on site know the situation. Blanderson had him coming on as a sub at Hinckley Sunday but no-one else saw him. Odihiambo and Gradel were used as subs though.

Anderson wouldn't have been at the game, he would have been down at a Spurs game or up in sweaty land watching Hearts. He's dropped a bllock getting Odiahambo and Chambers mixed up, his cover has been blown. :D

Chambers might not be in the under 17 age group actually as he featured heavily for the under 16's, but then again so did Mattock last season. But perhaps Mattock is a little older than him? That's often how it works in the first few age groups at national youth level, even when they are probably good enough to play for the under 18's or 19's. It's only when they get to about 17/18 that they get picked for older age groups if good enough.

I think we need a reserve team without doubt, we must be playing games at the training ground but id rather it be an official reserve league

How old is Chambers now? im getting impatient i want to see him play ive heard so many good things about him.

When Joachim came through we used to look in the program and a lad called Ian Thompson used to score more goals than Joachim every year was seen as a top player coming through but he never did i wonder what happened to him?

Guinen at Forest broke all there reords in reserve football scoring he never made it at top level still plays in lower leagues but you never know what will happen,hope Chambers will not be a repeat

I think we need a reserve team without doubt, we must be playing games at the training ground but id rather it be an official reserve league

How old is Chambers now? im getting impatient i want to see him play ive heard so many good things about him.

When Joachim came through we used to look in the program and a lad called Ian Thompson used to score more goals than Joachim every year was seen as a top player coming through but he never did i wonder what happened to him?

Guinen at Forest broke all there reords in reserve football scoring he never made it at top level still plays in lower leagues but you never know what will happen,hope Chambers will not be a repeat

He turned 16 only 5 months ago.

Why would that be?

yes it does happen Thracian believe it or not. I remember the English guy that went to Ajax because he was meant to be the best English player of his generation (forget his name) he gave up cos the pressure was too much for him

Out of the Leeds team that won the FA Youth Cup in the early 1990s only Noel Whelan became a Pro. They beat Man U with the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes and Butt.

You could both be right. But of all City's young players the one I would bet most on graduating to League football would be Ashley Chambers. A regular scorer at England youth level, a regular scorer for the Academy and Reserves ... why on Earth, barring injury, should he suddenly forget what seems to be the most natural thing in the world to him? You've worried me now! :(

Archived