Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Stowell welcomes selection problems

From the Blue Army site: City have the sort of selection problem they want-

"Elvis Hammond made his first senior start since January when he played alongside Matty Fryatt in the win over Ipswich.

"Iain Hume, the man to make way for Hammond, responded by scoring the goal that sealed the 3-1 victory after going on as a late substitute.

"Add to that goals for City's other forwards Chris O'Grady, Louis Dodds and Mark de Vries in a behind closed-doors friendly against Mansfield Town earlier this week and the City management have a nice selection poser ahead of the clash with the Sky Blues.

"It's great," Stowell said. "It's what Robert and I want. We want players giving us a problem saying 'pick me'.

"Chris O'Grady is champing at the bit to play, Elvis Hammond has shown all pre-season what he can do and Iain Hume came on against Ipswich and scored a great goal.

"It's great to have them all ready and fired up - and gives us plenty to think about when it comes to team selection."

Observations:

a) It doesn't sound as if COG is banned or on his way anywhere.

b) MDV seems to have acquired a goal since the match report declared that COG, Dodds, Andy King and McAuley were the scorers.

c) It seems obvious that the manager's not going to keep everyone happy for long.

d) The irony is that Porter will probably be the first one left out when it it precisely his final passing ability and possession retaining skills that are so vital.

From the Blue Army site: City have the sort of selection problem they want-

"Elvis Hammond made his first senior start since January when he played alongside Matty Fryatt in the win over Ipswich.

"Iain Hume, the man to make way for Hammond, responded by scoring the goal that sealed the 3-1 victory after going on as a late substitute.

"Add to that goals for City's other forwards Chris O'Grady, Louis Dodds and Mark de Vries in a behind closed-doors friendly against Mansfield Town earlier this week and the City management have a nice selection poser ahead of the clash with the Sky Blues.

"It's great," Stowell said. "It's what Robert and I want. We want players giving us a problem saying 'pick me'.

"Chris O'Grady is champing at the bit to play, Elvis Hammond has shown all pre-season what he can do and Iain Hume came on against Ipswich and scored a great goal.

"It's great to have them all ready and fired up - and gives us plenty to think about when it comes to team selection."

Observations:

a) It doesn't sound as if COG is banned or on his way anywhere.

b) MDV seems to have acquired a goal since the match report declared that COG, Dodds, Andy King and McAuley were the scorers.

c) It seems obvious that the manager's not going to keep everyone happy for long.

d) The irony is that Porter will probably be the first one left out when it it precisely his final passing ability and possession retaining skills that are so vital.

He played alright, he wasn't any better then Johnson, didn't play as well as Hughes (MoM) Tiatto was better then him by a running mile. I'd say its the right descion, bench for Levi.

He played alright, he wasn't any better then Johnson, didn't play as well as Hughes (MoM) Tiatto was better then him by a running mile. I'd say its the right descion, bench for Levi.

Hughes would be Man of any Match playing wide left.

Tiatto had one decent half - his first for months - but Porter does it regularly. But you do give an indication of what the Porter's have to contend with to get the nod over the Chosen Men.

Hughes would be Man of any Match playing wide left.

Tiatto had one decent half - his first for months - but Porter does it regularly. But you do give an indication of what the Porter's have to contend with to get the nod over the Chosen Men.

:rolleyes: At a level not on par, with the championship.

I ment hughes as CM with Tiatto wide left, as lets face it because it was Danny Tiatto it was just a "decent" half, if Levi had put that first half in you would be claiming we've found a future England player. No Tiatto had a very good first half it was Levi who was merley "decent", which is a good start for a young lad and something we should all be happy about. Something to look forward to

Lets actually be fair to Tiatto for once, he didn't have the best of seasons last year. Most of us wanted him gone, and most of us weren't best pleased when he got offered a new deal. Some of us managed to move on after a few weeks, however some others are still looking to get at him any way they can, not really how I'd expect our fans to treat a Leicester player who we knows is in the first team plans for the rest of the season wheather we like it or not.

Besides after winning player of the year after his first year here what has he actually done to warrant the abuse? He was in and out of the team last year with injuries and he very rarely got a decent run in the team ( How this makes him a "chosen man" I don't know) most of the time playing CM which is not his stongest postion by a long shot. Yes he was piss poor but he hardly played any football we all act like he's satan.

I haven't seen Tiatto play like that since his first season here, I wouldn't drop him after that, as if he keeps up it we have the left side of midfield solved. You may be happy to screw up and throw away the form book just because you happen to like the little lad from the academy but I doubt RK will, and that is "making the right choice."

Levi looks like he could grow into a good player, and should be given his fair share of first team football to help his development. This isn't the game for him, Tiatto suits it better and after his first half display against Ipswitch he deserves another run out.

Agreed - I'm not exactly a Tiatto fan but you should support the players at the club and in the team. Didn't see the game but sounds like he had a good game and as long as he can prevent himself from getting sent off the emotion of a Derby game should bring out the best in him. Porter does look like good news for the future but it's important to blood young players slowly not through them straight in at the deep end.

We obviously have a slightly different perspective on this. I didn't see almost equally little lad Tiatto's first season at City so how he ever won a player of the season award is a mystery to me. I've just seen what's he's produced since and it has very rarely impressed me at all.

As for it being the wrong match (for a kid I presume) well, Tiatto's never seemed to have the perfect temperament for keeping a cool head in blood and guts football and if you're never going to trust a lad in difficult matches there's little point trusting him at all because all Championship games will be difficult - and physical.

The sooner he plays em the sooner he'll cope. But then I have complete faith in Porter, indeed a lot more faith than I have in Tiatto.

We obviously have a slightly different perspective on this. I didn't see almost equally little lad Tiatto's first season at City so how he ever won a player of the season award is a mystery to me. I've just seen what's he's produced since and it has very rarely impressed me at all.

As for it being the wrong match (for a kid I presume) well, Tiatto's never seemed to have the perfect temperament for keeping a cool head in blood and guts football and if you're never going to trust a lad in difficult matches there's little point trusting him at all because all Championship games will be difficult - and physical.

The sooner he plays em the sooner he'll cope. But then I have complete faith in Porter, indeed a lot more faith than I have in Tiatto.

Well the fact that you think Danny Tiatto is nearly as small as Levi says it all about your "perspective" really doesn't it. :whistle:

In what way does Hammond give you a selection problem?

How to tactfully tell him he's sh it and therefore not playing?

Agreed. Hammond should be dropped for Hume tomorrow night. And I don't get this sudden clamour to have Porter in the team. He did a good job against Ipswich but that was about it. No doubting his potential, but he didn't stand out enough for me to definitely get a starting place against Cov or in the near future. This is likely to be a bit of a blood and thunder derby game, and I think Kelly is astute enough not to throw him in. Tiatto, assuming he is fit, would be the better option for me.

My wife says 'size does matter' and that's why she's still with me!!!! :D:P:whistle:

Ah, so like most women what she says and what she means are two very different things?

I mean, unless you've got an enormous vagina, does it really matter?

(no offence meant to girls with huge vaginiiii)

Ah, so like most women what she says and what she means are two very different things?

I mean, unless you've got an enormous vagina, does it really matter?

(no offence meant to girls with huge vaginiiii)

No need to sizist and you've taken my superiority complex and ego away!! :(

lollol

It will be a war out there on Friday night a completely different proposition from Ipswich. If Leicester are going into a war then Danny Tiatto has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. levi Porter has played almost half a Championship match and I wouldnt want to put him into a match against Coventry's thugs. Tiatto's performance on Saturday demands a place in the team anyway.

It would give me one.

I've no provable idea what the catalyst for change was but we won 3-1, going on 7-1 against a club that normally gives us trouble yet we lost without a whimper when Fryatt/Hume lined up without proper support against Luton and Burnley.

Suddenly for whatever reason we had a much better looking a better balanced team.

We scored three goals - four really - having not previously scored at all and that would make me think long and hard about potential changes, especially in attack.

I wouldn't risk Tiatto, having missed some training through injury, and I'd change Nils because, after much reflection, I'd want us to retain possession better. But otherwise, I'd stick.

Any attack scoring three/four goals for me would collect a lot of Brownie points.

It would give me one.

I've no provable idea what the catalyst for change was but we won 3-1, going on 7-1 against a club that normally gives us trouble yet we lost without a whimper when Fryatt/Hume lined up without proper support against Luton and Burnley.

Suddenly for whatever reason we had a much better looking a better balanced team.

We scored three goals - four really - having not previously scored at all and that would make me think long and hard about potential changes, especially in attack.

I wouldn't risk Tiatto, having missed some training through injury, and I'd change Nils because, after much reflection, I'd want us to retain possession better. But otherwise, I'd stick.

Any attack scoring three/four goals for me would collect a lot of Brownie points.

What a suprise! just happens to be where Levi Porter and Alan Sheehan play.

We scored goals because the hoffing stopped, partly due to the fact that Richard Stearmen was dropped for Darren Kenton. Elvis is just no where near as good a footballer as Hume.

It will be a war out there on Friday night a completely different proposition from Ipswich. If Leicester are going into a war then Danny Tiatto has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. levi Porter has played almost half a Championship match and I wouldnt want to put him into a match against Coventry's thugs. Tiatto's performance on Saturday demands a place in the team anyway.

On that basis neither should be in the team, If Tiatto is first on the team sheet he's also like to be the first in the bath - makes him a wise choice.

He's been sent off once for us.

Three times in the last five years.

i'm sure you're right Manwell, I guess it doesn't matter as I just don't rate the guy, I've yet to see what he brings to the team, even his so called better game last week did nothing for me.

i'm sure you're right Manwell, I guess it doesn't matter as I just don't rate the guy, I've yet to see what he brings to the team, even his so called better game last week did nothing for me.

Well he will be tested tommorow, and that goes for the rest of the team, Cov will provide a much sterner test, reserve judgement until then!!!

Tiatto does blow hot and cold a bit but I'd much rather see him in the team for a big derby game against Cov than an inexperienced youngster like Porter. The Cov game is just too early for Porter in my mind.

Tiatto does blow hot and cold a bit but I'd much rather see him in the team for a big derby game against Cov than an inexperienced youngster like Porter. The Cov game is just too early for Porter in my mind.

I think it would do Porter good to play in a high profile game. Hes got to at some point.

Danny Tiatto has made a carear out of blowing hot and cold. He has however always performed at his best when given a sustained run in the first team, something which is hard to achieve when your forever getting booked and have reccuring injury problems.

He was poor against Luton and Burnley ( so were a lot of the players ) and for the most part of last season to. However I really do think he looked good against Ipswitch and given a chance to build on that could actually be a suprise package this season.

I don't see the point in getting on to a player we know is going to be a regular in the first team, right after he has impressed.

I don't see the point in getting on to a player we know is going to be a regular in the first team, right after he has impressed.

I'm not digging at Tiatto, I think he should be a definite starter against Coventry tomorrow night if he's fit. If he can stay injury-free he could be a real asset to the team, though sometimes i'd like to see him bomb forward a bit more. He did that against Ipwich and that really helped the attacking options of the team. With Low on the right we had so many more options going forward. Tiatto is a much more viable option on the left-side than Porter at the moment though.

Archived