Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Joe Waters

From OS

Fans Get Chance To Pass On Well Wishes

0,,10274~2985924,00.jpg

Alan Birchenall is asking City fans to rally around former midfielder Joe Waters, who is currently undergoing cancer treatment.

Waters, who is now based in the United States, was a team-mate of the Birch at Filbert Street in the 70s.

And the club's football public relations officer is offering supporters the chance to pass on their well wishes to Joe as he battles against the illness.

He said: "News has reached me this week of Joe Waters' battle against cancer.

"Joe is to undergo treatment this month and, on behalf of the club, I'd like to pass on our best wishes to him, his family and friends.

"Joe was an intelligent midfielder and I will always remember his debut versus QPR in the FA Cup in 1974, when he replaced my good self who was out injured, and went on to score two great goals in front of the television cameras to ensure us a semi-final place against Liverpool.

"I am sure Joe would appreciate a few notes of encouragement from our supporters."

Fans can send on their best wishes via email to [email protected]

I don't know too much about him but he's ex Leicester so I will send an email and think everyone here should do as well even if it's only one line if we can help boost his morale in anyway it's worth it!!!

get well soon joe

i remember being at the QPR game when joe waters made his debut and i it was he that made white wristbands fashionable

ps can you change the name from walters to waters in thread topic

:blush::blush:

I have had one close family member die this year and another, a nurse, is presently under the most severe form of treatment, so I sympathise deeply with anyone faced with this sort of crisis and wish them better quickly.

But what I'd also like to know is what is causing this insidious disease. People of all ages are falling victim, there is barely a family not touched by the misery it brings. Why so many?

I have had one close family member die this year and another, a nurse, is presently under the most severe form of treatment, so I sympathise deeply with anyone faced with this sort of crisis and wish them better quickly.

But what I'd also like to know is what is causing this insidious disease. People of all ages are falling victim, there is barely a family not touched by the misery it brings. Why so many?

Good call Thracian, we may all argue on this thread - and we are united as CITY fans -, but events like this put petty arguments into perspective. I give money to Imperial Cancer Research so I know the excellent work that they put in !!

Take the football out of the conversation and we agree Thrach. :thumbup:

I'm going up Mount Kilimanjaro next January to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Relief. The word cancer itself strikes fear into me.

I, too, was at that game - would you believe that it only cost 45 pence for an adult ticket (allowing for inflation that's still only £4.00 at today's values)? The young Limerick lad really upstaged the man of the moment, Stan Bowles, that day.

As to why so many people are getting cancer now Thracian...you may notice that other types of 'non contagious' diseases are also on the rise like diabetes, MS, Parkinson's and so on. Many of these conditions are described as 'auto immune' disorders because the body's own natural defences are switched off and cells are reprogrammed to attack healthy tissue.

A hundred years ago contagious diseases were a much greater threat. Tubercolosis polished off one in six of the population. In the 19th century cholera was the great killer because it was wrongly assumed it was an air borne virus spread by 'foulness.'

Cancer is the disease of wealthy, industrialised, ageing societies. The longer you live the more chance you have of contracting it. More cancer sufferers are surviving and passing on their defective genes to their offspring. There are thousands of different kinds of cancers but the root cause is the same in all cases: a change in the way cells in a particular part of the body are reproduced. There are specific risk factors associated with each kind of cancer.

Virtually everyone is genetically susceptible to a greater or lesser degree to at least one form of cancer (eg some people only develop cancer after smoking 50 fags a day for 50 years, whilst others might succumb after just a decade of passive smoking). The fact that not everyone gets cancer suggests that both lifestyle and environment play a role in switching on the disease. Past medical history and medications taken may also be risk factors here.*

If you want to reduce your risk of getting cancer avoid or reduce your exposure to the following:

tobacco, alcohol, UV radiation (excessive sunlight), night shifts (risk factor for breast cancer), stress (NB following LCFC in the Championship!) pesticides (wash fresh produce thoroughly), red meat, unprotected sex (with multiple partners), preserved food concentrates, solvents, aerosols, chemical emissions/fumes of all kinds, heavy metal compounds in cosmetic & 'cleansing' preparations (NB mercury, lead & cadmium) electro magnetic radiation emissions (pylons), X rays and working in and around nuclear installations (there is some revision about the precise level of threat to health here in the wake of new evidence from the Chernobyl disaster).

Increase your exposure to fresh fruit and veg, exercise and fresh air (30 mins brisk walking three times a week) and good company (not sure if you can include Foxes Talk in this!).

*Always make sure if prescribed medication for a serious transmissable condition you finish the course as directed. Never stop the medication (particularly antibiotics) at the first sign of symptoms easing. There could be serious consequences for your health later on.

I, too, was at that game - would you believe that it only cost 45 pence for an adult ticket (allowing for inflation that's still only £4.00 at today's values)? The young Limerick lad really upstaged the man of the moment, Stan Bowles, that day.

As to why so many people are getting cancer now Thracian...you may notice that other types of 'non contagious' diseases are also on the rise like diabetes, MS, Parkinson's and so on. Many of these conditions are described as 'auto immune' disorders because the body's own natural defences are switched off and cells are reprogrammed to attack healthy tissue.

A hundred years ago contagious diseases were a much greater threat. Tubercolosis polished off one in six of the population. In the 19th century cholera was the great killer because it was wrongly assumed it was an air borne virus spread by 'foulness.'

Cancer is the disease of wealthy, industrialised, ageing societies. The longer you live the more chance you have of contracting it. More cancer sufferers are surviving and passing on their defective genes to their offspring. There are thousands of different kinds of cancers but the root cause is the same in all cases: a change in the way cells in a particular part of the body are reproduced. There are specific risk factors associated with each kind of cancer.

Virtually everyone is genetically susceptible to a greater or lesser degree to at least one form of cancer (eg some people only develop cancer after smoking 50 fags a day for 50 years, whilst others might succumb after just a decade of passive smoking). The fact that not everyone gets cancer suggests that both lifestyle and environment play a role in switching on the disease. Past medical history and medications taken may also be risk factors here.*

If you want to reduce your risk of getting cancer avoid or reduce your exposure to the following:

tobacco, alcohol, UV radiation (excessive sunlight), night shifts (risk factor for breast cancer), stress (NB following LCFC in the Championship!) pesticides (wash fresh produce thoroughly), red meat, unprotected sex (with multiple partners), preserved food concentrates, solvents, aerosols, chemical emissions/fumes of all kinds, heavy metal compounds in cosmetic & 'cleansing' preparations (NB mercury, lead & cadmium) electro magnetic radiation emissions (pylons), X rays and working in and around nuclear installations (there is some revision about the precise level of threat to health here in the wake of new evidence from the Chernobyl disaster).

Increase your exposure to fresh fruit and veg, exercise and fresh air (30 mins brisk walking three times a week) and good company (not sure if you can include Foxes Talk in this!).

*Always make sure if prescribed medication for a serious transmissable condition you finish the course as directed. Never stop the medication (particularly antibiotics) at the first sign of symptoms easing. There could be serious consequences for your health later on.

Thanks for so much valuable information. Nice to know that Foxestalk could be a health aide!! :thumbup:

Sorry if I gave the impression that I am trying to poach patients. I'm not in private practice.

Just qualified, by the sounds of it. Otherwise, you'd be a cynical old drunk who doesn't give a fook about current thinking.

Just qualified, by the sounds of it. Otherwise, you'd be a cynical old drunk who doesn't give a fook about current thinking.

Is it the general thrust of my analysis or just the specifics that offend against current thinking on cancer pathology? My classifiction of cancer as essentially an 'auto immune' disorder triggered by environmental toxins is at the centre of clinical ecological thinking and could hardly be considered the ramblings of a cynical old drunk.

And as for being newly qualified...do you know how much time (in six years of training) the average medical student spends on examining the environmental impact on health?

Archived