Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fleckney Fox

kellys record

How are any of those playing like Arsenal? Did you not go to any of the matches then?

You won't generally get out of any League without attacking consistently and scoring at least two goals a game especially in the era of three points for a win.

FOCK ME!

All we need to do is score a fockload of goals and win loads of games!

Someone should really tell Rob Kelly.

Be sarcastic if you wish but it has not always been apparent that he's appreciated that fact by the way we've approached games, especially all but one of the first eight or nine games. I hope the current trend continues and, indeed, gathers pace.

Be sarcastic if you wish but it has not always been apparent that he's appreciated that fact by the way we've approached games, especially all but one of the first eight or nine games. I hope the current trend continues and, indeed, gathers pace.

In my opinion it doesn't matter how attack-minded we could play, realistically we haven't got the players to score 90 goals this season. We only have three players who have looked like scoring on a vaguely consistent basis this season and two of those are defenders.

In my opinion it doesn't matter how attack-minded we could play, realistically we haven't got the players to score 90 goals this season. We only have three players who have looked like scoring on a vaguely consistent basis this season and two of those are defenders.

True. But we have players that are capable of scoring goals. Sometimes you don't even need to hammer teams either, winning by 1 goal is enough as long as you pick up 3 points. It's nice to see fluent, free flowing football, but a hard fought ground out win is just as good sometimes so long as you pick up 3 points :):yesyes:

True. But we have players that are capable of scoring goals. Sometimes you don't even need to hammer teams either, winning by 1 goal is enough as long as you pick up 3 points. It's nice to see fluent, free flowing football, but a hard fought ground out win is just as good sometimes so long as you pick up 3 points :):yesyes:

Which is what I'm saying. It's pointless going on about teams like Reading scoring 90+ goals when our best hope is that our fairly solid defence will keep teams out and we will nick the odd goal here and there. That does not mean picking lots of defensive players or ceding territory and possession, it's just realism.

Anyway, I've had this argument hundreds of times with a certain poster. ;)

Which is what I'm saying. It's pointless going on about teams like Reading scoring 90+ goals when our best hope is that our fairly solid defence will keep teams out and we will nick the odd goal here and there. That does not mean picking lots of defensive players or ceding territory and possession, it's just realism.

lol I dunno, we could score quite a few goals really, we have the ability within the squad, we just fail to have a killer edge and ruthlessness infront of goal. I wouldn't mind if we could balance the two, playing some fantastic football and scoring 2, 3 or 4 goals in certain games, and only scoring 1 or 2 in others and winning by the odd goal. RK is currently trying to get that balance right and I admire him for that. I'm not looking for a repeat argument, just simply sharing me views with a fellow City fan and trying to understand other viewpoints :cool::thumbup:

We're not the defensive calamity we used to be. That's worth something.

Now if we can keep scoring as many goals as we have been, we're laughing. :thumbup:

That's what it all boils down to, really. Keeping the defence nice and steady and scoring as many goals as we have been. ;)

That's exactly what it has meant for 15 months apart from the last 7 games or so - and thank God we seem to be changing cos where the hell did it get us?. As low as we've ever been at one stage.

Now we're showing signs of having a cohesive, attack capable team and that's still with a two/three player handicap some of the time.

We could field a team that could score freely, no problem. And it is an improving team, not a team of people on the wane.

Kelly will only do it gradually, that's plain, but I think you sell us way short of our capabilities. I hate the very concept of defending and "nicking" a goal. It's like going away with the intention of "getting something out of the game - in other words a draw will do, and how many of those nearly buggered us last season.

Will some people never learn. It's a flawed notion that will win nothing. The World Cup should have taught us that and the nonsense in Croatia which followed.

Be strong enough and fit enough to get the ball, skillful and clever enough to keep it, support attacks with conviction and numbers then be ruthless enough to take chances when they come. As Kelly has said but not always shown. Football is simple.

We're at last starting to show signs of doing that, of imposing our game on the opposition instead of trying to "nick a goal" and from where I've been sitting, a lot of fans seem to be enjoying the change.

That's exactly what it has meant for 15 months apart from the last 7 games or so - and thank God we seem to be changing cos where the hell did it get us?. As low as we've ever been at one stage.

Now we're showing signs of having a cohesive, attack capable team and that's still with a two/three player handicap some of the time.

We could field a team that could score freely, no problem. And it is an improving team, not a team of people on the wane.

Kelly will only do it gradually, that's plain, but I think you sell us way short of our capabilities. I hate the very concept of defending and "nicking" a goal. It's like going away with the intention of "getting something out of the game - in other words a draw will do, and how many of those nearly buggered us last season.

Will some people never learn. It's a flawed notion that will win nothing. The World Cup should have taught us that and the nonsense in Croatia which followed.

Be strong enough and fit enough to get the ball, skillful and clever enough to keep it, support attacks with conviction and numbers then be ruthless enough to take chances when they come. As Kelly has said but not always shown. Football is simple.

We're at last starting to show signs of doing that, of imposing our game on the opposition instead of trying to "nick a goal" and from where I've been sitting, a lot of fans seem to be enjoying the change.

:D

Just thought I'd throw that phrase in there.

Personally I feel that having Elvis Hammond as the focal point of the attack kind of blunts your argument about scoring freely, but there you go.

The only time in the past two and a half years that we have shown genuine promotion form, it's been by winning a large number of games 1-0.

The only time in the past two and a half years that we have shown genuine promotion form, it's been by winning a large number of games 1-0.

Aye. Winning gets you promotion - no matter how it's done. Sunderland were a pretty dour side when they went up, winning plenty of games 1-0 with the occasional thrashing of petrified visitors from a team that's got confidence from plenty of dire 1-0 victories.

Looking over past seasons in this division, you'd have to say that with the promoted sides, on the whole, goals come from confidence that then allows attacking football, rather than attacking itself gives promotion form. Let alone bollocks that just thinking that you could play like Arsenal and that will get you out of this division.

Looking over past seasons in this division, you'd have to say that with the promoted sides, on the whole, goals come from confidence that then allows attacking football, rather than attacking itself gives promotion form. Let alone bollocks that just thinking that you could play like Arsenal and that will get you out of this division.

Drop the Arsenal thing, it's been cleared up already. If you want to score goals, you need to attack the opposition - fact. Not many teams have got a Frank Sinclair in their ranks and so to score past them you will need to get into their half and shoot at their goal. When you do this, you may well score goals, and scoring goals will get you promotion - also a fact provided you can defend them. The scoring goals which gives you confidence and allows you to attack is probably true, but to score goals you need to attack, which is what I said in the first place.

Rob Kelly's managerial career.

Club: Leicester (From: 25-01-2006 to Present)

P-33 W-14 L-10 D-9 = 51 pts If they were all league game (i know they weren't)

That would have get you to about 7th after 33 games last season.

You won't generally get out of any League without attacking consistently and scoring at least two goals a game especially in the era of three points for a win.

Not strictly true Thracian. Only 3 teams out of the 18 promoted from the Championship since 2000 scored more than 2 goals per game.

Archived