Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fleckney Fox

kellys record

thanks for that,he aint done bad has he considering its his first post.

and it will only get better...

I have high hopes for the lad.

I like him and Stowell, quality team I reckon. :yesyes:

That first-team coach we hired is something of a ghost, he's not made many appearances at all unlike Graydon who appeared to be interviewed every week. :P

thanks for that,he aint done bad has he considering its his first post.

and it will only get better...

You're right on the first count and I hope, and believe, you'll be right on the second, at least in this League.

At the start of this run, indeed right up to the end of the Birmingham game, I had serious concerns about whether he was ever going to stop selecting teams which suggested he was afraid of the opposition and turn, instead, to getting us to score goals by playing to people's strengths.

Now he seems to be doing that. I don't ever believe he'll be an adventurer or a master tactician and some of his selections still defy logical explanation despite how "sensible" he professes to approach things.

But Hammond's presence has helped transform us from occasional scorers to a team which has averaged two a game for four matches. That is a minimum target I've mentioned previously for success.

Welsh has rejoined, Stearman should offer a more exciting alternative to Hughes in midfield and, when Porter returns as, surely he will, the team ought to be pretty well balanced and far more adaptable.

I'd also hope Gradel and Dodds feature soon from the bench and, with COG, that honestly means we could threaten anyone while remaining strong and competitive.

What a contrast to the feelings I had about us last season and particularly towards the end of Levein's tenure and even the back end of the season/beginning of this.

Win rate: 42.4%

Don't know what games it's counted up to etc, but that's a rough idea at least.

Soccerbase

Soccerbase is up to date.

In addition, goal-wise:

Games: 33

Goals Scored: 41

Goals Conceded: 37

Goal Difference: +4

Average Scored Per Game: 1.24

Average Conceded Per Game: 1.12

Many managers make selections that defy logic.

Even Martin O'Neil made logically unsound selections. I mean, he did play Frank Sinclair a lot. :P

I only mention it cos Kelly's so close to having what every coach/manager loves. A team, with quality subs, that he can rely on in every department. A team that's competitive but disciplined, which passes throughout, which can be patient and retain possession but which also has pace and carries a threat.

And the better that team is the easier it will be for someone like Nils to find an easy pass out of defence instead of being afraid that if he doesn't do something quickly he'll be caught out and not have the pace to recover.

With Kisnorbo getting more than I expected, we'd have five or six players who could pinch a goal and that's a big improvement on two. And we could increase that through substitutions if we had to.

The light really is starting to shine and I believe there's many on here who've helped in small ways to bring it about because, generally, this is a really positive forum which has tended to favour an attacking approach and has tended to believe in our emerging players. There's been criticism but its been positive and I am sure some of it has registered through little things that have happened.

Initially the reward has been some decent football and some better crowds but I believe that's only the start. If Kelly is brave enough he can have a cracking team here before too long.

And no-one will be more pleased than me both for him and the coaches from Stowell through Beaglehole to Rudkin, because they've all made a massive contribution that seems, at long last, to be giving City some firm footballing foundations.

What are you talking about?

Didn't you know Kellys change of tactics came about after reading Thracians posts on here?

On a serious note. I remember an interview with RK a few weeks back which seems to have been forgotten by most. I remember him saying that he wanted to get us a sound defence to work from first, he carried on to say we have that now and it was time to open up a bit and take it to teams a bit more.

Fair play to the bloke he has done that and we are seeing the rewards for it.

Didn't you know Kellys change of tactics came about after reading Thracians posts on here?

On a serious note. I remember an interview with RK a few weeks back which seems to have been forgotten by most. I remember him saying that he wanted to get us a sound defence to work from first, he carried on to say we have that now and it was time to open up a bit and take it to teams a bit more.

I remember him saying exactly that - and was relieved to hear it. And to see the next stage apparently being put into progress.

What are you talking about?

Be as cynical as you like. :thumbup::)

People take note of many things said on here about various matters both on and off the field. It has been demonstrated on occasions and, occasionally, people at the club have even referred to it in private conversation.

Indeed, apart from the fans on matchdays, there are few better ways to gauge the feelings of the fans whether to do with ticket prices, managerial performance, players, the reserves situation, pre-season friendlies and so on.

Not only do I know for a certain fact that this and other forums is scanned on a daily basis by club representatives but, if you're feeling really reckless, why not prove the truth of what I say by penning something scandalous on here and see how quickly they get back and how quickly they'll get it removed from the site.

That's not to imply that anyone reads forums then makes decisions. I'm just saying that sometimes there is demonstrable reaction to what is said here. Or some mighty strange coincidences.

I can't see that Rob Kelly has changed much tactically at all since the season started. The team have simply gelled better with time, individual players have found some form and things are generally improving for that. If things take a downward turn in the future the same fans who think the tactics and emphasis have changed just because results are better will be the same who will pillory him for going back to his old tactics. Who'd be a manager...!!!

I can't see that Rob Kelly has changed much tactically at all since the season started. The team have simply gelled better with time, individual players have found some form and things are generally improving for that. If things take a downward turn in the future the same fans who think the tactics and emphasis have changed just because results are better will be the same who will pillory him for going back to his old tactics. Who'd be a manager...!!!

Well I think we have in the last 4/5 games, as I said Kelly himself in an interview said we would be more positive. Since he said it we have been, if only slightly.

Does that mean i'll pillory him if results take a turn for the worse? Would be a big turn about if I did seeing as i'm one of the people who actually sticks up for the guy on here.

Well I think we have in the last 4/5 games, as I said Kelly himself in an interview said we would be more positive. Since he said it we have been, if only slightly.

Does that mean i'll pillory him if results take a turn for the worse? Would be a big turn about if I did seeing as i'm one of the people who actually sticks up for the guy on here.

As you say the performances have improved along with the results but I'd say that's as much to do with confidence than anything else. Where would you say the tactics have changed though. The system hasn't changed. The balls forward haven't changed. The players are basically the same. The only difference is that the team are getting some rewards now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the fantasists who thought Kelly could turn the team into Brazil overnight either. I just find it perplexing that some of Kelly's armchair critics are now rewriting history to justify their over the top criticism they handed out to him less than a month ago........

It's been noted. I think you were fairly tolerant of Levein as well if I recall. Kelly's deserved support but he's also deserved some criticism at times though I think the support might well grow stronger if he continues to show the greater commitment to attack that's been apparent lately.

There's signs of a buzz in the football now and that's given a buzz to the crowd.

I'm well aware that some fans are perfectly happy so long as the result is okay. They have said so. But some of us want both good results and exciting football to watch and have campaigned as best we can to this end.

For whatever reasons, our position has improved in many ways - and it has certainly made a nice change to be so wound up by the football as to shout yourself hoarse which happened to many on Tuesday including me.

Long may it continue.

I watched the games from WBA through to Southampton (except Sunderland and Colchester) and seen a vast improvement. Someone mentioned confidence and I think that is something that the whole team has benefited from. For instance

1) Humes two goals against Southampton,

2) The fact that we came back after they levelled twice,

3) Nils has started pushing the ball forward instead of passing back all the time,

4) Logan is a good goalkeeper and in my view should be the first pick,

5) The win at Leeds

6) Fryatt to come back

Its all looking promising so lets keep the run going at QPR

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

I wonder what will happen if Hume stops his rich vein of form? Because since Kelly's said it's time for us to open up abit we've not kept a clean sheet and if it wasn't for Hume we'd probably be in the relegation zone. That's why i'm not getting too carried away. I'm happy that we are playing better and putting together some good results but if we continue to concede the amount of goals that we have been doing then we must continue to score goals and the only player who seems to be capable of doing that regularly is Hume. However I do hope Kelly doesn't become more cautious, he needs to drill it in to our team to take our chances and become more ruthless.

I'm just still not entirely convinced we have entered in to a new dawn just yet. I hope we have but there's a long way to go.

I wonder what will happen if Hume stops his rich vein of form? Because since Kelly's said it's time for us to open up abit we've not kept a clean sheet and if it wasn't for Hume we'd probably be in the relegation zone. That's why i'm not getting too carried away. I'm happy that we are playing better and putting together some good results but if we continue to concede the amount of goals that we have been doing then we must continue to score goals and the only player who seems to be capable of doing that regularly is Hume. However I do hope Kelly doesn't become more cautious, he needs to drill it in to our team to take our chances and become more ruthless.

I'm just still not entirely convinced we have entered in to a new dawn just yet. I hope we have but there's a long way to go.

Definitely agree. This is partly why I have argued against Thracian's gung-ho philosophy quite a lot (that IS what it is!) We don't seem to have natural finishers in the side. Even when we were winning last season, Fryatt and Hume were the only ones scoring (and Joey I suppose), and we were nicking a lot of games 1-0 and 2-1.

Definitely agree. This is partly why I have argued against Thracian's gung-ho philosophy quite a lot (that IS what it is!) We don't seem to have natural finishers in the side. Even when we were winning last season, Fryatt and Hume were the only ones scoring (and Joey I suppose), and we were nicking a lot of games 1-0 and 2-1.

I suppose at least this season our defenders seem to be getting a fair few goals, but our midfield is embarrassing when it comes to scoring. We still rarely keep clean sheets, even though defensively I think we look sharp. So we must start taking our chances. We need Fryatt back aswell, the way we are playing at the minute could be perfect for Matty as we are creating plenty of chances and he loves chances.

Archived