Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Terry the Terror

Craig Levein

he came to leicester with, what were on the surface, good idea's.

the fans were patient and understood what he was trying to achieve for the first year

however, ultimately, his own indecisiveness cost him his job.

he obviously did well at hearts and for 6 months looked to be heading in the right direction at leicester.

that doesnt mean he became a bad manager.

he'll probably do ok at dundee united but for some reason his decision making at leicester was wrong. very wrong at times

he likes to play players out of position a lot

ie, alan maybury and patrick kisnorbo.

Dundee United fan here, what is Levein like looks like we are getting him as our new manager.

:whistle:

We didn't get along.

His squad was fast approaching retirement, his attempts at rectifying this were inconsistent, and he also had no shame in playing people out of position to our detriment.

Apparently he had success at Hearts, and not a load of cash at the time, so there's no reason why he couldn't have performed here and there's no reason why he shouldn't do well for you either, if things go smoothly.

Given his past SPL colours he should have no problem stabilising the Terrors.

I am sure plenty of people will come out with childish responses but imo he had the right ideas he just couldn't implement them! I think to a certain extent he did misjudge the level of The Championship but always playing for a 0-0 draw away from home and his failure to motivate players HE signed was his downfall

I am sure plenty of people will come out with childish responses but imo he had the right ideas he just couldn't implement them! I think to a certain extent he did misjudge the level of The Championship but always playing for a 0-0 draw away from home and his failure to motivate players HE signed was his downfall

These are good points. He left us with a pretty decent squad considering a) our financial situation and b) the squad we had when he came in, but he ultimately failed to mantain consistency while he was playing them, and it was clear they weren't motivated.

He seems a proud man, and that was his undoing. When he came here, he underestimated the task somewhat, and wouldn't admit he was wrong.

Consequently, he couldn't pick a settled team etc and the rest is history.

All of the above without question.

And he thought a sound defence, in a team invariably overweighted with defensive players would mean lots of low scoring wins - thus totally underestimating the capability of English Championship forward lines.

The message was plain early on but he couldn't adjust. That dogmatic refusal to admit mistakes and to change them was his undoing.

Agree with all the above.

Dont bother watching united away its a wasted journey (unless its across the road at Dundee!) because Levein played completly negative football away from home keep them out, nick a goal...if they score were DOOOMED! it was ZZZzzzzzz!

He wanted to bring down the average age of the squad and did buy the odd good player then didnt pick (Iain Hume) i think he totally underestimated the Championship team selection was a joke at times and bizarre he also signed a player played him a couple of times then sold him after a month or two (Gilbert)

His after match interviews frustrate very mono tone and you think, would/could he motivate me in the dressing room?

I felt a bit sorry for him when he left i 100% wanted him out but wish him well and hope he does well, i think he will do well in the SPL, i shall keep an eye out for your results, let us know how he gets on in your opinion oh and one last thing.....do you want some players lets start with De Vris, how much you got in your pocket?

he did what the board asked of him, got the average age down reduced the wage bill, got good players in on a limited budget. Was good at spotting potential, (macarthy)

in his first pre season, he made too many changes, got rid of players that should have stayed, like stewart, gilllespie, maybe dabizas. He had a good side which were playing well and should have tried to keep it.

also a lot of players let him down big time.

I hope not, I hated him when we played against Hearts, the way he hooks his arm round defenders and pretends to be fouled used to piss me off.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him go in for De Vries....Luckily for you it may not be until the summer as Den Hagen may have made sure we can't sell him until then (he's on a season long loan there)

If he can afford Maybury he may go for him as well, would be a good singing for you, Momo Sylla is another possabilty.

Some of your younger players (Greg Cameron I hear is highly rated?) will benefit from having him there, He may have a decent honey moan period but I don't see him being able to save you.

Dundee United fan here, what is Levein like looks like we are getting him as our new manager.

Levein isn't the greatest when it comes to working with the players on the training ground. He tends to leave that to other people. He underestimated the challenge of Championship football. He thought that players like MDV, Maybury, Hughes, Sylla, Douglas, Hamill and Kisnorbo (to name 7 off the top of my head) were capable SPL players but admittedley struggled physically when they first moved down here. Some of them still struggle, some have got to grips with it. I think he tried to change too much too quickly but he only had a season and a half before our parachute payments ended so maybe he thought it would pay to spend all of the money given to him immediately in a desperate attempt to win promotion before the payments ended. The players never gelled under him. I think he has to be credited for trying to replenish our Academy with new blood from outside of the club and taking an interest in our youth system which had been neglected by our previous manager for various reasons.

Our successful under 18s side contains, I think, at least 4 players that joined the club whilst Levein was manager. Whether Levein was extremely pivotal in these players joining our club or not I'm not 100% sure but he definitely made the Academy a high priority.

Levein isn't the greatest when it comes to working with the players on the training ground. He tends to leave that to other people. He underestimated the challenge of Championship football. He thought that players like MDV, Maybury, Hughes, Sylla, Douglas, Hamill and Kisnorbo (to name 7 off the top of my head) were capable SPL players but admittedley struggled physically when they first moved down here. Some of them still struggle, some have got to grips with it. I think he tried to change too much too quickly but he only had a season and a half before our parachute payments ended so maybe he thought it would pay to spend all of the money given to him immediately in a desperate attempt to win promotion before the payments ended. The players never gelled under him. I think he has to be credited for trying to replenish our Academy with new blood from outside of the club and taking an interest in our youth system which had been neglected by our previous manager for various reasons.

Our successful under 18s side contains, I think, at least 4 players that joined the club whilst Levein was manager. Whether Levein was extremely pivotal in these players joining our club or not I'm not 100% sure but he definitely made the Academy a high priority.

According to some reports he's quoted as saying he didn't spend all of his playing budget but kept some back in reserve, in the interest of the club in case of unforseen problems - he believes in hindsight this was naive, managers just don't do that and that he should have spent it all..

I wouldn't be suprised to see him go in for De Vries....Luckily for you it may not be until the summer as Den Hagen may have made sure we can't sell him until then (he's on a season long loan there)

If he can afford Maybury he may go for him as well, would be a good singing for you, Momo Sylla is another possabilty.

Some of your younger players (Greg Cameron I hear is highly rated?) will benefit from having him there, He may have a decent honey moan period but I don't see him being able to save you.

How do you know about Greg Cameron?

I never liked Maybury when he played for Hearts. Fouled far too much. Sylla is ok but he never did anything at Celtic. He was ok at St Johnstone but I was surprised when Martin O'Neill signed him because I could see he wasnt Celtic standard.

I think he wants Douglas. You can keep the other two I know what they're like.

He's more than welcome to Douglas, and on the cheap as well :thumbup:

Seriously, ask him to take the other two as well :smile: Please!!!!!!! You can have all 3 for 65 English pence, and that is a bargain my friend. Well worth it ;)

Sylla can play up front cant he? We do need a striker maybe we'll get him and Douglas.

Who do you think is better - Sylla or De Vries?

I think they both play well together and would be a great addition to your team. You'd have 50 goals a season there. Honest. Please please take them :)

According to some reports he's quoted as saying he didn't spend all of his playing budget but kept some back in reserve, in the interest of the club in case of unforseen problems - he believes in hindsight this was naive, managers just don't do that and that he should have spent it all..

Levein threw cash around quite freely when you look back at it. He said himself that he enquired about Hughes on loan but when he found out that he could sign him permanently, he went for it. He bought Elvis when he was still on loan until January using some of the Connolly money. I'm pretty sure Levein will have spent every penny he was given in an attempt to salvage our season. Fryatt being the final buy to try and fire us up the table. I can't imagine him admitting he was wrong about anything either even if he did keep some money in reserve.

Still the point remains. He had 1 and a half seasons to get us back in the Premiership before the money stopped. I think he tried to change the squad around too quickly and they never gelled. If he'd bought younger players in slowly and mixed them with some of the players we had at the end of 2004/05 I think the 2005/06 season would've been more productive. He got rid of players which looking back would probably have done a decent job for us. Jordan Stewart wasn't the most loved player at Leicester but have we ever replaced him with someone of equal abilty or greater ability?

Archived