Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Worst Song of 2006?

Add "contemporary" to that, and you got me right. :cool:

What is it about them you don't like? And can you give me examples of which female singers you actually like then? I'm genuinely interested as I've often found myself speculating why there are so few female singers I like.

What is it about them you don't like? And can you give me examples of which female singers you actually like then? I'm genuinely interested as I've often found myself speculating why there are so few female singers I like.

I can only think of one or two off the top of my head - Karen O and the bird from Howling Bells.

I can only think of one or two off the top of my head - Karen O and the bird from Howling Bells.

I see. Me and Swiss aren't the only ones then. Why is it, do you think? Is it the way most women sing? Is it their voices? Aren't they compatible with contemporary music?... I'm in an inquisitive mood today :D

I see. Me and Swiss aren't the only ones then. Why is it, do you think? Is it the way most women sing? Is it their voices? Aren't they compatible with contemporary music?... I'm in an inquisitive mood today :D

I think it's that I don't really like high-pitched voices in general. That includes blokes too e.g. the Bee Gees. :D

I think it's that I don't really like high-pitched voices in general. That includes blokes too e.g. the Bee Gees. :D

I can relate to that. Are Karen O and that other singer an exception to the rule or do they have deep voices then?

Hard to say. This topic in itself would be worth a separate thread, I believe.

But I'd say it's not only a problem with female singers, it's the state of music in general. At least the one that's played 24/7 on commercial radios. Good groups or solo artists are hardly given a chance to develop themselves, they no longer go through regular ups and downs, are no longer given the chance to evolve on their own or develop own songwriting abilities. The Beatles toured a whole lot through Germany on a small scale (especially Hamburg), unbeknownst to the general public, before one of their singles showed up on the radio by accident and made them big.

Music artists of today are no longer discovered or given a helping hand, they are "made" by producers or TV stations from scratch with a proper "image" attached to it. What counts is not longetivity, but fast cash, because the industry is so unpredictable and tough. I don't see or hear anything distinctive, anything original. But I guess the music industry faces the same problem.

Now, once one producer has a golden hand for talent and gets the hit, a zillion follow with shallow copies. You can easily tell by the album covers: Mostly the ones with the musician's face on it, smiling at you, want your dough and they don't care whether there's only one good song on the disc to lure your money out of the pocket or not. As long as the production costs are held on a low and the revenues top that.

And because the non-English market is even tougher to predict, many producers make themselves an easy job by simply copying American "recipes" and creating "acts" that feel, look and sound like their American counterparts. All in all, I miss originality.

There's a few great current female voices, like Norah Jones or K.D. Lang. The Dixie Chicks have a few good songs, too. Major issure here is that women still have a harder task in every department, whether it is in art or in business. Male dominance is still prevalent. They're still not taken as seriously as they should, and I'm aware of the fact that this statement might make me sound like a feminist. :blink:

I still like all those rare moments when Tasmin Archer's "Sleeping Satellite" is played on the radio, or when I hear Res. Eva Cassidy, the golden voice, sadly is no longer with us. PJ Harvey's a great artist, as well.

How about Melissa Auf Der Maur? Aimée Mann? Sheryl Crow? Sade? Or Shania Twain? At least they still sing live in a concert.

Hard to say. This topic in itself would be worth a separate thread, I believe.

But I'd say it's not only a problem with female singers, it's the state of music in general. At least the one that's played 24/7 on commercial radios. Good groups or solo artists are hardly given a chance to develop themselves, they no longer go through regular ups and downs, are no longer given the chance to evolve on their own or develop own songwriting abilities. The Beatles toured a whole lot through Germany on a small scale (especially Hamburg), unbeknownst to the general public, before one of their singles showed up on the radio by accident and made them big.

Music artists of today are no longer discovered or given a helping hand, they are "made" by producers or TV stations from scratch with a proper "image" attached to it. What counts is not longetivity, but fast cash, because the industry is so unpredictable and tough. I don't see or hear anything distinctive, anything original. But I guess the music industry faces the same problem.

Now, once one producer has a golden hand for talent and gets the hit, a zillion follow with shallow copies. You can easily tell by the album covers: Mostly the ones with the musician's face on it, smiling at you, want your dough and they don't care whether there's only one good song on the disc to lure your money out of the pocket or not. As long as the production costs are held on a low and the revenues top that.

And because the non-English market is even tougher to predict, many producers make themselves an easy job by simply copying American "recipes" and creating "acts" that feel, look and sound like their American counterparts. All in all, I miss originality.

There's a few great current female voices, like Norah Jones or K.D. Lang. The Dixie Chicks have a few good songs, too. Major issure here is that women still have a harder task in every department, whether it is in art or in business. Male dominance is still prevalent. They're still not taken as seriously as they should, and I'm aware of the fact that this statement might make me sound like a feminist. :blink:

I still like Tasmin Archer's "Sleeping Satellite" or Res.

So in short, your opinion is that talented female singers today aren't recognised, and if by chance they are being recognised, they are immediatly being mainstreamed by producers. Isn't it the same for male singers or do you feel they get more creative freedom than female singers?

edit: funny, you just mentioned MadM as my player randomly switched to one of her songs :P

So in short, your opinion is that talented female singers today aren't recognised, and if by chance they are being recognised, they are immediatly being mainstreamed by producers. Isn't it the same for male singers or do you feel they get more creative freedom than female singers?

My main contempt is directed towards boy groups/girl groups and all those poor casting show creatures who are exposed to the public's amusement on a daily/weekly basis.

Worst song of 06?

Has to be that 14/1 favourite for Christmas no. 1

Its a joke song, all joke songs deliberately come out around this time of year to try and get Christmas No.1.

No doubt you'll here worse than this though in the coming weeks..

-Cough- the X factor winner -Cough- :thumbup:

My main contempt is directed towards boy groups/girl groups and all those poor casting show creatures who are exposed to the public's amusement on a daily/weekly basis.

E.g. Westlife and Pussycat Dolls?

Most of the female singers you mentioned are not part of such bands though.

I still find it curious that I can only name a handful of female singers I like, whereas I could name good male singers en masse!

Archived