Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Porter marks his return with a goal

McCarthy didn't think he had committed a foul and seemed to give the referee a verbal blasting. The fairly lengthy stoppage changed the rhythm of the game and took the edge off our concentration. Players should be forewarned about this and told to keep moving, active and to focus only on what the opposition is doing - not the referee.

Truth is though, that had we been pushing up properly and focused on continuing to attack, we probably wouldn't have found us pinned back so dangerously.

A key to me overall though was our continued indifference in midfield. Far too much of the game was scrappy and lacking any sort of flow. Hughes seemed to disappear second half, Stearman was hot and cold, Welsh barely had a kick. I hardly heard mention of Maybury or Nils linking with the midfield.

McCarthy didn't think he had committed a foul and seemed to give the referee a verbal blasting. The fairly lengthy stoppage changed the rhythm of the game and took the edge off our concentration. Players should be forewarned about this and told to keep moving, active and to focus only on what the opposition is doing - not the referee.

Truth is though, that had we been pushing up properly and focused on continuing to attack, we probably wouldn't have found us pinned back so dangerously.

A key to me overall though was our continued indifference in midfield. Far too much of the game was scrappy and lacking any sort of flow. Hughes seemed to disappear second half, Stearman was hot and cold, Welsh barely had a kick. I hardly heard mention of Maybury or Nils linking with the midfield.

Only to true today. although we are tending to play the ball along the floor more often there are far to many looseballs being played around in our midfield preventing us from mounting any sort of continous pressure on the opponents. Porter scored a good goal and momentarily birightened things up for us but the end to the game was very dissapoitning. And the frustation was shown by McCarthy throwing his mask off!!!

I hardly heard a mention of Welsh as well.

Really happy for Levi. I liked his style of play in the academy and it is great that he scored a goal for the first team. :)

Paddy should watch out with his overreactions. They are quite scary. I am not surprised that his team mates might have lost concentration following that incident (although they should undoubtedly know better).

I hardly heard a mention of Welsh as well.

Really happy for Levi. I liked his style of play in the academy and it is great that he scored a goal for the first team. :)

Paddy should watch out with his overreactions. They are quite scary. I am not surprised that his team mates might have lost concentration following that incident (although they should undoubtedly know better).

Would help if we actually tried to pass it his side of the pitch

0,,10274~3040465,00.jpg

Porter was highly effective upon his return to the side from illness/whatever he had. Sounded like a good goal too.

Don't know what happened to McCarthy at the end, but something had him really quite upset.

How'd the team play?

apart from his goal he was pretty anonymous, paddy mac blew his top over a foul that never was which lead directly to their second, overall we did well going forward but were shockingly bad defending areal balls at times.

andy welsh celarly isnt fit and probly wont start vs preston with the return of tiatto

Bought the ball under control well, their man slipped over, he rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the empty net, good composure from him really :thumbup:

Cheers filbertway, a good sign that he's got enough confidence to take it round the keeper at his age.

From the sounds of things, Welsh was pretty poor today, I think Levi should be back in the side against Preston.

Cheers filbertway, a good sign that he's got enough confidence to take it round the keeper at his age.

From the sounds of things, Welsh was pretty poor today, I think Levi should be back in the side against Preston.

It will probably be Tiatto.

It will probably be Tiatto.

I dunno, maybe Kelly will stick him at CM, we really cannot play Stearman there again. Ok, he did well against Villa, but it's not his natural position, and it's unfair to shove a 19-year-old centre-back straight into the heat of the battle, Tiatto is much more suited to that role. Which means there should be a space for Levi on the left (assuming Welsh is dropped).

Oh god, he can't really play left back can he, he can't stay in the same place long enough to be a left back.

well kenton and sheehan are also injured so its either him or maybury (who played his best game in a long time for us today) and i'd rather keep maybury at rb, he seems to be working well with sylla

neither is levi, the only left winger we have is an unfit Andy Welsh, he was visably a yard or 2 short today

Levi's had years of experience playing as a winger so it's not a problem. It's just that he's not a winger who has the speed to run past people. He's a tricky player rather than a speed king. I talk about players needing to having something a bit special and Levi's strength is his passing.

But with Welsh not able to go past people either with any consistency what you get with Porter is a much better ablity to retain possession, to thread passes, to cover, to support and, perhaps as important as anything, to move around the pitch.

His real position is in the Scholes role as the midfield attacking fulcrum. But, perhaps understandably, RK seems to prefer him on the left where he gets a bit more space and time and the chance to adjust to the pace of Championship football.

Levi's had years of experience playing as a winger so it's not a problem. It's just that he's not a winger who has the speed to run past people. He's a tricky player rather than a speed king. I talk about players needing to having something a bit special and Levi's strength is his passing.

But with Welsh not able to go past people either with any consistency what you get with Porter is a much better ablity to retain possession, to thread passes, to cover, to support and, perhaps as important as anything, to move around the pitch.

His real position is in the Scholes role as the midfield attacking fulcrum. But, perhaps understandably, RK seems to prefer him on the left where he gets a bit more space and time and the chance to adjust to the pace of Championship football.

Shame he didn't hit that shot on the edge of the box from the corner like scholesy :P

Shame he didn't hit that shot on the edge of the box from the corner like scholesy :P

Y ou don't think Scholes has ever missed a clear scoring chance then?

Didn't say that, I just meant he didn't hit as sweetly as scholes does 90% of the time :thumbup:

But perhaps Levi also hits them sweetly 90% of the time :P

Archived