Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Porter marks his return with a goal

That's fooking ridiculous. I don't view footballers as part-timers. And I also think that footballers should be able to play at least 2 games a week without feeling no adverse/ill effects. But the fact of the matter is that half of our squad is either injury prone or useless, and can only last 55 minutes to an hour at best.

I didn't say you did, I asked if it was a modern trend?

It sure concerns me that all the substitutions these days - which have done so much to slow down and make a mockery of the last 20-30 minutes of every game - are also encouraging bit-part footballers.

Furthermore I'm part serious about the Players Union because I can well imagine they've encouraged the substitution situation and in no small part because it ensures more jobs in the industry, however much it's buggered the spectacle.

My point about Tiatto/Porter is that should one be playing well, why the hell think of changing it? As for who I'd select first it would depend on form at the time but, given a choice between two equals, I'd always go for young and fit rather than a 33-year-old who is likely to have a much shorter shelf life and who demonstreably suffers with injury problems.

As I mentioned yesterday - the broad picture matters too. I'd keep the old un for the smaller cameos. That way he might stay fitter longer.

I can sort of see what you're trying to say and it's not 100% contradictory but he's hardly being "fooking ridiculous" here. You blatantly do view our players as being "part-time", rightly or wrongly.

OK then :thumbup:

I wouldn't like to view our players as "part-time", 'cos they're paid to play 90 minutes' football if that is what is asked of them. I admit I do come across as contradictory when I go on to say "half of our squad is either injury prone or useless, and can only last 55 minutes to an hour at best", but that is the observation I have made and one which isn't completely stupid in itself imo

(apologies to Thracian for misinterpreting what he said :) )

porter may not have been on long and looked off the pace , not surprising when we have no reserves and he has missed a number of games , but he certainly knew what to do with the ball when he got near their goal and looked very clinical about it too :)

he does remind me of julian though he is of course smaller.

sylla did actually put the effort in and was involved in a lot of play , i remember watching him last year where he couldnt be the slightest bit bothered in any defending or running to close players down so he has made real improvements.

what i did notice though is that because the midfield isnt all that great , im talking our center two here what with stearman being out of his normal position and hughes being lightweight , that hume has to go deep to get the ball leaving a not fully match fit fryatt guarded by two defenders. hume also was taking some of the corners etc.,

if we do bring in anymore players the first priority should be a fit midfield playmaker , whether we can afford one though is a different matter.

I love all this critisem of our midfield and strikers, We're a Championship side, and had 17 fit proffesional players going into this game. We scored two goals, that should be enough for a home win, Strikers and midfield job done at our end. Had we not made stupid mistakes at the back no one would be mentioning our crap midfield and Hume dropping deep, blah blah blah. Our defense need to be told not to shut off, who the hell we conceaded two goals as soft as that with four natural centre halfs on the pitch I'll never know.

the problem is that no decent midfield means strikers have to work harder for their chances and normally one of them has to go and get the ball because the midfield isnt providing like it should.

it also leaves the back four constantly exposed and to get the ball away means a long punt upfield or playing the ball around the back four until there is space for the ball forwards which can shred the nerves and you know sooner or later playing it around in front of goal means a mistake will be made and they have a scoring opportunity.

weso is constantly injured , probably another piper but hopefully not.

johnson is clapped out , another dion dublin :blink: ?

hughes isnt the player he was when he first came here , maybe he flattered to decieve or maybe he fitted into leveins style of football better :blink:

gareth williams is also this season constantly injured.

....who else is there???

the problem is that no decent midfield means strikers have to work harder for their chances and normally one of them has to go and get the ball because the midfield isnt providing like it should.

it also leaves the back four constantly exposed and to get the ball away means a long punt upfield or playing the ball around the back four until there is space for the ball forwards which can shred the nerves and you know sooner or later playing it around in front of goal means a mistake will be made and they have a scoring opportunity.

weso is constantly injured , probably another piper but hopefully not.

johnson is clapped out , another dion dublin :blink: ?

hughes isnt the player he was when he first came here , maybe he flattered to decieve or maybe he fitted into leveins style of football better :blink:

gareth williams is also this season constantly injured.

....who else is there???

I don't think Hume does any less fetching than any of the other strikers but on the topic of available central midfielders I keep mentioning Andy King. Not the finished article but better than Johnson or some defender in midfield. He's got good control, attacks the box, is tall enough to win a header or two and can pass the ball.

It was great to see Levi get a goal. In all of his games for us i've seen other than Colchester, he's looked dangerous in attacking areas and been unlucky not to score on a few occasions. I do hope, this goal might get him another run in the first team. He's impressed me this season, there's a lot of room for improvement but he's always willing to attack and defend when need be.

Archived