Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Ideal Striker To Play Alongside Hume

Kind of nicked off Fox Fanzine where someone used this title to describe the sad loss of Neil Shipperley to Hull (in fact he didn't go in the end, but that's another story.)

So what sort of striker would you need to complement Hume's qualities?

I guess Hume has the pace and energy so you need someone with strength to hold up the ball and provide an aerial threat from set pieces/crosses.

Fryatt and Hume will still work with a decent midfield but in the absence of that, we could have done with a loan signing to get the best out of our best attacking player.

i dont think a big striker is an ideal partner for hume. hume likes to come deep and get the ball whereas with a big striker he will need to get on last man and get the flick ons.

hume and hammond could be good if hammond was half decent, hume could get ball from midfield and thread balls through for hammond, bit like the rooney saha partnership!!

but hume n fryatt were on the same wavelength last season and im sure it will come good this season aswell

i dont think a big striker is an ideal partner for hume. hume likes to come deep and get the ball whereas with a big striker he will need to get on last man and get the flick ons.

hume and hammond could be good if hammond was half decent, hume could get ball from midfield and thread balls through for hammond, bit like the rooney saha partnership!!

but hume n fryatt were on the same wavelength last season and im sure it will come good this season aswell

Agreed. Hume is a link striker like Rooney (although as much as I like Hume, he aint in the same class!). I reckon he's better with a quick striker who also has a bit of pace (duh!). This is obviously in an ideal world where we play nice quick attacking football on the deck.

My god I'm drunk!

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting. I can see that. Hammond seems to bring out the best in Hume. I just wish we had someone up front to get on the end of set pieces and crosses, and to hold up the ball for Hume to run onto from deep.

Now if we could weld O'Grady's physical presence and Hammond's pace onto Fryatt, then we'd have a player. Stan Collymore.

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting. I can see that. Hammond seems to bring out the best in Hume. I just wish we had someone up front to get on the end of set pieces and crosses, and to hold up the ball for Hume to run onto from deep.

Now if we could weld O'Grady's physical presence and Hammond's pace onto Fryatt, then we'd have a player. Stan Collymore.

Dribbles Budweiser infused saliva down t-shirt!

I've gone on record as saying I'd love to have Robert Earnshaw here because his movement and ability to find space is so good but no-one's coming for now and of the players in the City camp I really wonder if Louis Dodds is the most suited of all for the role.

I would still wish to accommodate Hammond's pace - he really could cause people problems with the right supply but as an out-and-out striker he's never going to make it. O'Grady is fine at holding the ball and laying it off but also lacks the natural artistry of a striker.

Fryatt remains less than fit to my eyes and seems to have been sussed as a dribbler who can shoot if given space. But, he's not particularly quick, not particularly clever, not a distance marksman and not a great threat in the air. So, as a potential top striker he's limited from what I've seen.

That leaves Dodds. It is Kelly's words that he's the most natural finisher in the club. He's also reasonably tall, okay in the air without being special, a person who links well with team-mates, a guy who can manouevre the ball out of midfield and a genuinely all round marksman from distance, close range or free free-kicks.

He's the one I'd try right now. He just ticks the most boxes for me.

I've gone on record as saying I'd love to have Robert Earnshaw here because his movement and ability to find space is so good but no-one's coming for now and of the players in the City camp I really wonder if Louis Dodds is the most suited of all for the role.

I would still wish to accommodate Hammond's pace - he really could cause people problems with the right supply but as an out-and-out striker he's never going to make it. O'Grady is fine at holding the ball and laying it off but also lacks the natural artistry of a striker.

Fryatt remains less than fit to my eyes and seems to have been sussed as a dribbler who can shoot if given space. But, he's not particularly quick, not particularly clever, not a distance marksman and not a great threat in the air. So, as a potential top striker he's limited from what I've seen.

That leaves Dodds. It is Kelly's words that he's the most natural finisher in the club. He's also reasonably tall, okay in the air without being special, a person who links well with team-mates, a guy who can manouevre the ball out of midfield and a genuinely all round marksman from distance, close range or free free-kicks.

He's the one I'd try right now. He just ticks the most boxes for me.

To be fair, the people who have seen Dodds more than any of us (e.g. the coaching staff) have sent him out on loan for first team experience. To the Conference nonetheless. Got to confess I've never seen him play, but with all due respect (and I do have it for you) I'm going to back their judgement over yours.

I still believe a big man is the ideal partner for Hume. I think striker partnerships need that one big man who wins the headers then the little man who picks up the scraps and does all the closing down and running.

Finally nails 800 :D

Makes me weep when I think of all that talent and all that time gone to waste. We're talking totally different class to so many people who call themselves strikers now. :worship::worship:

I still remember that awesome hat-trick against Sunderland as the greatest individual performance by any individual in a City shirt in the 50-odd years I've watched.

Get Collymore back in. Tell him he can prove himself in the Championship and if he gets an offer from a Prem side he can go for free. Since he's not likely to get that offer, we'll have managed to reel him in with the promise of an easy move that's not going to happen. :P

Makes me weep when I think of all that talent and all that time gone to waste. We're talking totally different class to so many people who call themselves strikers now. :worship::worship:

I still remember that awesome hat-trick against Sunderland as the greatest individual performance by any individual in a City shirt in the 50-odd years I've watched.

Surely one of the greatest home debuts of all time. The weight of expectation and he just turned up and thought "yeah, I might as well score a hat-trick today." Unbelievably good. I only decided to go to the game at the very last minute. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life!!

Marlon Harewood... failing that Marcus Bent :) I think we could get a credible, experienced, Prem striker who's strong and can hold up, on loan during the January window... we'll have to wait on Milan for the time being though.

Surely one of the greatest home debuts of all time. The weight of expectation and he just turned up and thought "yeah, I might as well score a hat-trick today." Unbelievably good. I only decided to go to the game at the very last minute. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life!!

A lasting image from that game is at the end. Match ball in hand, walks up to camera and mouths 'I'm Back'

Kind of nicked off Fox Fanzine where someone used this title to describe the sad loss of Neil Shipperley to Hull (in fact he didn't go in the end, but that's another story.)

So what sort of striker would you need to complement Hume's qualities?

I guess Hume has the pace and energy so you need someone with strength to hold up the ball and provide an aerial threat from set pieces/crosses.

Fryatt and Hume will still work with a decent midfield but in the absence of that, we could have done with a loan signing to get the best out of our best attacking player.

I think Hume would partner Hume very well - Maybe there is a case for human cloning? :ph34r:

I think Hume would partner Hume very well - Maybe there is a case for human cloning? :ph34r:

Hyoom up front alone for me... with a range of idiots surrounding him , Akinbuyi, Benjamin, Cresswell, Ormondroyd, Roberts...

I reckon any could do a job!

Archived