lookwhaticando Posted 26 November 2006 Posted 26 November 2006 Having purchased Not The Nine O'clock News recently, and seeing the brilliance of Gerald the Gorilla and the music sketch I Like Bouncing I decided to go and find Madness tracks (they're the band I like bouncing was essentially a parody of). I should have looked sooner because some of their tracks, despite being quite opposite to my typical music tastes, I found to be really quite good/humorous/catchy. Tracks such as Baggy Trousers (sheer brilliance), Our House, House of Fun and even their more recent (1999?) release Lovestruck. Also, I like Driving in My Car comes to mind when I think of Madness - because when I was a small child, the song came on the radio in the car and my mum thought I had started the car (I was seated in the back, she was putting stuff in the boot). I also remember the most recent track I listed (Lovestruck) being released back in 1999 (I think). I remember it because at the time people commented on it having quite possibly the shortest intro of any song ever. Jokingly, I guess. I think I am now something of a Madness fan. Anyone else have any favourite Madness songs I should investigate? Discuss Madness. ;)
Jay Posted 26 November 2006 Posted 26 November 2006 The best madness song EVER imo is Night Boat to Cairo no question.
Daggers Posted 26 November 2006 Posted 26 November 2006 First saw them in Peterborough, supported by the GoGo's, when I was well young...good bubblegum ska. I prefer The Specials and The Beat though...and if they tickle your fancy then try some old school Jamaican ska from Prince Buster or Toots & The Maytals.
Fez of Mahrez Posted 26 November 2006 Posted 26 November 2006 The best madness song EVER imo is Night Boat to Cairo no question. I agree. Saw Ordinary Boys at Summer Sundae a few years back and they used the intro to Night Boat to Cairo as their intro. Was fantastic. Everyone dancing as they came on stage. Awesome song.
Babylon Posted 27 November 2006 Posted 27 November 2006 Having purchased Not The Nine O'clock News recently, and seeing the brilliance of Gerald the Gorilla and the music sketch I Like Bouncing I decided to go and find Madness tracks (they're the band I like bouncing was essentially a parody of). I should have looked sooner because some of their tracks, despite being quite opposite to my typical music tastes, I found to be really quite good/humorous/catchy. Tracks such as Baggy Trousers (sheer brilliance), Our House, House of Fun and even their more recent (1999?) release Lovestruck. Also, I like Driving in My Car comes to mind when I think of Madness - because when I was a small child, the song came on the radio in the car and my mum thought I had started the car (I was seated in the back, she was putting stuff in the boot). I also remember the most recent track I listed (Lovestruck) being released back in 1999 (I think). I remember it because at the time people commented on it having quite possibly the shortest intro of any song ever. Jokingly, I guess. I think I am now something of a Madness fan. Anyone else have any favourite Madness songs I should investigate? Discuss Madness. ;) One Step Beyond My Girl Embarassment It must be love - One of the best songs ever IMO!!! I bloody love Madness
Leonisco Posted 27 November 2006 Posted 27 November 2006 Absolutely forkin' love Madness. 'Elysium' and 'Drip Fed Fred' are amazing songs.
dandannieldanok Posted 27 November 2006 Posted 27 November 2006 I hope they are as good as you lot say they are. I got the free double CD through the Mail on Sunday and wasn't planning on listening to it but now I feel I'm missing out.
Head Honcho Posted 27 November 2006 Posted 27 November 2006 Some them at De Montfort hall in 78 or 79 on the Two Tone Tour with Specials and Selector Cracking Concert
lookwhaticando Posted 29 November 2006 Author Posted 29 November 2006 One Step Beyond My Girl Embarrassment It must be love - One of the best songs ever IMO!!! I bloody love Madness What did you think of Lovestruck, then? I quite like it. Ditto 'It must be love'. I do listen to One Step Beyond from time to time, now I'm off to sample the other two.
dandannieldanok Posted 29 November 2006 Posted 29 November 2006 I hope they are as good as you lot say they are. I got the free double CD through the Mail on Sunday and wasn't planning on listening to it but now I feel I'm missing out. If any of you were wondering I quite liked it and will be listening to it again. Not quite good enough for my mp3 player though. My standards are high
Babylon Posted 1 December 2006 Posted 1 December 2006 What did you think of Lovestruck, then? I quite like it. Ditto 'It must be love'. I do listen to One Step Beyond from time to time, now I'm off to sample the other two. It's good... better than I expected after such a long lay off!!! What did you think of the other two?
lookwhaticando Posted 1 December 2006 Author Posted 1 December 2006 It's good... better than I expected after such a long lay off!!! What did you think of the other two? I knew "My Girl" I just didn't realize it when you posted. After a listen I do remember it and it's pretty good. Wasn't so taken by Embarrassment, mind. Only listened once, maybe it needs another listen. I liked Lovestruck when it was released back in '99, and I'm glad I've been reacquainted with it.
lookwhaticando Posted 2 December 2006 Author Posted 2 December 2006 Embarrassment is quite good actually, now that I've listened to it a couple more times. Might have to acquire it for my music collection. * wonders aloud if they have any Madness at HMV over here *
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.