Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Where the goals came from to keep us up

I apologise for the haphazard way this is presented.

This was difficult. I wanted to list all the goals and assists but that can be very misleading i.e. Williams' through-ball that went straight to a Luton defender who happened to slip.

This is basically a list of the assists where the goal wouldn't have happened without the specific player's contribution.

It shows just how much we've missed Gudjonsson's energy in midfield and on the occasions when Williams and Johnson played together, there was a distinct lack of energy. We ended up with Williams having to do too much. He needs a Savage/Gudjonsson alongside him to do the donkey work. Johnson may be a defensive player but he's easily bypassed due to lack of pace and stamina.

Even with two strikers on top form and the team winning on a consistent basis, we still never got a whole load of assists from wingers. They don't suit the strikers. However, when Maybury played on the right hand side it did work results-wise - because we had the goals coming from Gudjonsson and Williams' through balls from the middle.

This is why people want Wesolowski and Williams but we can't rely on them to be fit and Kelly's refusal to adapt from 4-4-2 has left us with too much to make up for in the middle of the park. Tiatto has tried gamely to recreate Gudjonsson's energy but he's not the same sort of player. Gudjonsson had plenty of faults but he drove on from midfield and we've missed that all season. Wesolowski showed glimpses of it against Villa but it's too much to ask him to do what Gudjonsson did for any amount of time.

But instead of signing a striker to hold up the ball and give Fryatt some support and freeing Hume to play deeper and provide the thrust from midfield we need, Kelly re-signed Welsh in a position that Porter was playing adequately in his misguided pursuit of 4-4-2 at all costs.

I'm aware this is a rambling mess but it took me ages and it'd be a waste not to post now.

Gudjonsson 4

Hume 4

Williams 2

Welsh 2

Fryatt 2

Maybury 1

Wesolowski 1

Stearman 1

QPR 3-2 Fryatt from JOHANSSON through ball. Stearman from WESOLOWSKI cross. Hughes from STEARMAN cross

Wolves 1-0 Ball dropped at Fryatt's feet after Postma spilled McCarthy's header from GUDJONSSON corner

Brighton 2-1 McCarthy from GUDJONSSON corner, Hume from through ball by GUDJONSSON

Derby 2-2 Hume from MAYBURY through ball, Maybury from HUME through ball.

Leeds 1-1 Hume finish after GUDJONSSON free kick blocked

Hull 3-2 Hume from GUDJONSSON through ball through middle? Gudjonsson two long range

Luton 2-1 Fryatt after slip by defender following WILLIAMS through ball, O'Grady deflected cross shot in by WELSH

Millwall 1-0 Hughes long range set up by HUME

Reading 1-1 Hume from through ball from centre from FRYATT

Norwich 1-2 Williams long range effort

Crystal Palace 2-0 Welsh tap-in from cross by HUME after good work by Williams, Hughes from FRYATT cross

Preston 1-2 Fryatt through ball from centre by WILLIAMS

Coventry 1-1 Stearman driven shot from cross by HUME after good work by Williams

Plymouth 1-0 Fryatt header from cross by WELSH

I apologise for the haphazard way this is presented.

This was difficult. I wanted to list all the goals and assists but that can be very misleading i.e. Williams' through-ball that went straight to a Luton defender who happened to slip.

This is basically a list of the assists where the goal wouldn't have happened without the specific player's contribution.

It shows just how much we've missed Gudjonsson's energy in midfield and on the occasions when Williams and Johnson played together, there was a distinct lack of energy. We ended up with Williams having to do too much. He needs a Savage/Gudjonsson alongside him to do the donkey work. Johnson may be a defensive player but he's easily bypassed due to lack of pace and stamina.

Even with two strikers on top form and the team winning on a consistent basis, we still never got a whole load of assists from wingers. They don't suit the strikers. However, when Maybury played on the right hand side it did work results-wise - because we had the goals coming from Gudjonsson and Williams' through balls from the middle.

This is why people want Wesolowski and Williams but we can't rely on them to be fit and Kelly's refusal to adapt from 4-4-2 has left us with too much to make up for in the middle of the park. Tiatto has tried gamely to recreate Gudjonsson's energy but he's not the same sort of player. Gudjonsson had plenty of faults but he drove on from midfield and we've missed that all season. Wesolowski showed glimpses of it against Villa but it's too much to ask him to do what Gudjonsson did for any amount of time.

But instead of signing a striker to hold up the ball and give Fryatt some support and freeing Hume to play deeper and provide the thrust from midfield we need, Kelly re-signed Welsh in a position that Porter was playing adequately in his misguided pursuit of 4-4-2 at all costs.

I'm aware this is a rambling mess but it took me ages and it'd be a waste not to post now.

Gudjonsson 4

Hume 4

Williams 2

Welsh 2

Fryatt 2

Maybury 1

Wesolowski 1

Stearman 1

QPR 3-2 Fryatt from JOHANSSON through ball. Stearman from WESOLOWSKI cross. Hughes from STEARMAN cross

Wolves 1-0 Ball dropped at Fryatt's feet after Postma spilled McCarthy's header from GUDJONSSON corner

Brighton 2-1 McCarthy from GUDJONSSON corner, Hume from through ball by GUDJONSSON

Hull 3-2 Hume from GUDJONSSON through ball through middle? Gudjonsson two long range

Luton 2-1 Fryatt after slip by defender following WILLIAMS through ball, O'Grady deflected cross shot in by WELSH

Crystal Palace 2-0 Welsh tap-in from cross by HUME after good work by Williams, Hughes from FRYATT cross

Coventry 1-1 Stearman driven shot from cross by HUME after good work by Williams

Nils set-up the one that wasn't form the half way line didn't he? Also, you've listed 5 Gudjonsson assists (if you're counting all the ones n caps anyway)

Nils set-up the one that wasn't form the half way line didn't he? Also, you've listed 5 Gudjonsson assists (if you're counting all the ones n caps anyway)

I was trying to list the meaningful ones i.e. the corner that Paddy Mac headed at Postma for Fryatt to score is a bit tenuous. You could count it if you wanted.

As with the one from the halfway line and Williams' goal at Norwich, I haven't listed the assist because it was largely down to the quality of the strike from long range and anyone could just lay the ball off to them. There is an argument to include whoever set up Gudjonsson's second though because as I recall, they dribbled past a player before laying it off. Was possibly Johansson, yeah.

I was trying to list the meaningful ones i.e. the corner that Paddy Mac headed at Postma for Fryatt to score is a bit tenuous. You could count it if you wanted.

As with the one from the halfway line and Williams' goal at Norwich, I haven't listed the assist because it was largely down to the quality of the strike from long range and anyone could just lay the ball off to them. There is an argument to include whoever set up Gudjonsson's second though because as I recall, they dribbled past a player before laying it off. Was possibly Johansson, yeah.

Oh Okay.

I definately remember it was Nils because they told me that I needed to see Nils silky turn before he set up Joeys goal :D

Oh Okay.

I definately remember it was Nils because they told me that I needed to see Nils silky turn before he set up Joeys goal :D

I also omitted Johansson's speculative through-ball to Fryatt at QPR from the assist list so if you had those two, he's possibly our missing attacking link...

:pinch: :cool:

Oh Okay.

Skills was on fire that day. Regularly getting forward, beating players and setting up Gudjonsson for his second goal with a superb drag back and pass to him. :cool:

Gudjonsson 4

Hume 4

Williams 2

Welsh 2

Fryatt 2

Maybury 1

Wesolowski 1

Stearman 1

So Elvis never scored in our purple patch either then

Unbelieveable whatever next

We miss Gudjonsson more than we realise. :ph34r:

January window priority - Joey. :yesyes::thumbup:

Has been suggested on here and laughed off.

I felt we missed Joey Gudjonsson quite a bit. We haven't replaced him and we don't have a player that can offer us the same as he did, and we're paying the price for it. Bringing him back in on loan in January would make a lot of sense :yesyes:

Has been suggested on here and laughed off.

I felt we missed Joey Gudjonsson quite a bit. We haven't replaced him and we don't have a player that can offer us the same as he did, and we're paying the price for it. Bringing him back in on loan in January would make a lot of sense :yesyes:

He's been missed dreadfully - I asked in the summer how we were going to replace our only midfield goalscorer and the answer's been demonstrated - we haven't. Andy King is the only midfield gaolscorer in the club and he's never even been on the bench.

Whether bringing Joey back would help I don't know. You can't imagine he's particularly fit with all the inactivity. But the other thing we got out of Joey was games.

Williams, Weso and Tiatto are all forever injured. I sympathise with all of em but that doesn't solve the problems created. And all three of those put together won't score the goals Joey got in a season which amply illustrates the seriousness of our predicament..

Only one striker who's scoring and not a single midfielder getting goals with any regularity. We need some action quickly.

He's been missed dreadfully - I asked in the summer how we were going to replace our only midfield goalscorer and the answer's been demonstrated - we haven't. Andy King is the only midfield gaolscorer in the club and he's never even been on the bench.

Whether bringing Joey back would help I don't know. You can't imagine he's particularly fit with all the inactivity. But the other thing we got out of Joey was games.

Williams, Weso and Tiatto are all forever injured. I sympathise with all of em but that doesn't solve the problems created. And all three of those put together won't score the goals Joey got in a season.

I suggested this yesterday on a different topic but it's relevant here as well.

If we're not going to give King a chance or sign a Joey type of player in January (anyone got any ideas as to a realistic transfer target?) then it's time to adjust the formation and play Hume behind the front two.

This would help the midfield link with the strikers (dodds/hammond and fryatt), place more of an emphasis on attack and hopefully encourage more creativity leading to more space and opportunities for our forwards.

I guess it's about making the best of what we do have as opposed to rueing what we no longer possess...

So Elvis never scored in our purple patch either then

Unbelieveable whatever next

If you're trying to make a case for Fryatt it's like me trying to make a case for Denis Law. What Fryatt or anyone else did last season is history. It is not anyone's fault but his own that he started the season unfit, got injured, and has never seemed properly fit since.

He's hit the net fewer times this season than Hammond - in fact the centre-backs have done as well as him.

And Fryatt is an out and out striker - neither use nor ornament when he's not getting goals whereas Hammond has never been a striker but forever puts his twopennyworth into the cause.

Do you know what really gets me at our club? There's so much sentimental selection. The first requirement of any manager is to pick 11 players who are properly fit to do their job. Then to play them in their correct positions and then to get the best out of them in a system that compliments their ability. We don't tick any of the boxes, ever.

''It shows just how much we've missed Gudjonsson's energy in midfield and on the occasions when Williams and Johnson played together, there was a distinct lack of energy. We ended up with Williams having to do too much. He needs a Savage/Gudjonsson alongside him to do the donkey work. Johnson may be a defensive player but he's easily bypassed due to lack of pace and stamina''

yes. it is so clear but why hasnt it happened

Good work Fezz, I whole heartedly agree that we miss Gudjonsson badly. Some fans will think it's desperation as Joey wasn't that good, but I think that's unfair. Ok, so Gudjonsson could have some dreadful performances where his passing and tackling was abysmal, but he'd never give up. He would always look to get the ball and drive the team forward. When his passing and tackling was on track then he was superb and some of his shooting in the last half of the season was extremely good. He hit the woodwork about 10-15 times last season and scored 9 goals, he also provided about 10-15 assists aswell. Now i'd give anything to have a midfielder in our team give us that this season, but it's not going to happen.

I said at the time we'd do well to replace Gudjonsson and now we are suffering for it. There's not a lot the club could do about losing him, given the circumstances but there isn't any excuses for not replacing him with a like for like sort of player. Andy Johnson certainly doesn't have Gudjonsson's attributes. I know we had no money, but we still signed 4 new players and the only position that was essential to be filled was central midfield. We still had Gerrbrand for defence who was more than good enough as cover. The wages saved on Low, Kenton, Johnson and possibly McAuley could have given us a better chance of getting a higher calibre of central midfielder, certainly than Johnson to replace Joey.

He had his faults as i've already said but if any team in this division outside of the top 6 have a central midfielder who gets double figures in both goals and assists this season then i'll be very surprised. They are hard to come by, Gudjonsson is our missing link.

Good work Fezz, I whole heartedly agree that we miss Gudjonsson badly. Some fans will think it's desperation as Joey wasn't that good, but I think that's unfair. Ok, so Gudjonsson could have some dreadful performances where his passing and tackling was abysmal, but he'd never give up. He would always look to get the ball and drive the team forward. When his passing and tackling was on track then he was superb and some of his shooting in the last half of the season was extremely good. He hit the woodwork about 10-15 times last season and scored 9 goals, he also provided about 10-15 assists aswell. Now i'd give anything to have a midfielder in our team give us that this season, but it's not going to happen.

I said at the time we'd do well to replace Gudjonsson and now we are suffering for it. There's not a lot the club could do about losing him, given the circumstances but there isn't any excuses for not replacing him with a like for like sort of player. Andy Johnson certainly doesn't have Gudjonsson's attributes. I know we had no money, but we still signed 4 new players and the only position that was essential to be filled was central midfield. We still had Gerrbrand for defence who was more than good enough as cover. The wages saved on Low, Kenton, Johnson and possibly McAuley could have given us a better chance of getting a higher calibre of central midfielder, certainly than Johnson to replace Joey.

He had his faults as i've already said but if any team in this division outside of the top 6 have a central midfielder who gets double figures in both goals and assists this season then i'll be very surprised. They are hard to come by, Gudjonsson is our missing link.

Exactly :thumbup::thumbup:

And now we've got three more players we don't want (I'm neutral on McAuley) instead of one that we do.

I respect both your opinions, but I believe that Gudjonsson has benefitted from nostalgia/absence makes the heart grow fonder. I would agree he's better than Andy Johnson in the middle.

Wesolowski/Williams would be my first choice partnership though even if Gudjonsson was here.

I respect both your opinions, but I believe that Gudjonsson has benefitted from nostalgia/absence makes the heart grow fonder. I would agree he's better than Andy Johnson in the middle.

Wesolowski/Williams would be my first choice partnership though even if Gudjonsson was here.

Can't imagine why. Neither of em have been fit for more than odd games all season. :whistle:

Show me a midfielder at this level that would give us 10 goals and 10+ assists per season, that we could attract. The only one I can think of is Koumas and the chances of us ever getting him are slim, even if i'd do everything to try and sign him.

If you're trying to make a case for Fryatt it's like me trying to make a case for Denis Law. What Fryatt or anyone else did last season is history. It is not anyone's fault but his own that he started the season unfit, got injured, and has never seemed properly fit since.

He's hit the net fewer times this season than Hammond - in fact the centre-backs have done as well as him.

And Fryatt is an out and out striker - neither use nor ornament when he's not getting goals whereas Hammond has never been a striker but forever puts his twopennyworth into the cause.

Do you know what really gets me at our club? There's so much sentimental selection. The first requirement of any manager is to pick 11 players who are properly fit to do their job. Then to play them in their correct positions and then to get the best out of them in a system that compliments their ability. We don't tick any of the boxes, ever.

No my point was that EH did not score when we were playing well, so why now?

I can agree with you that EH is not a striker :thumbup:

I cannot understand what you see in the guy i realy cannot!

Show me a midfielder at this level that would give us 10 goals and 10+ assists per season, that we could attract. The only one I can think of is Koumas and the chances of us ever getting him are slim, even if i'd do everything to try and sign him.

Koumas good shout but problems to sign as you say

Brian Hughes a possibility

Chaplow but similar to koumas probs

Edwards from luton

Gray from Brum

Forsell as a forward

Hughes from k*v

Problem is that if a player is good enough to make the differance then the club would be unwilling to let these sort of players leave like we would with Hume, so cash is the answer bring in MM!

Koumas good shout but problems to sign as you say

Brian Hughes a possibility

Chaplow but similar to koumas probs

Edwards from luton

Gray from Brum

Forsell as a forward

Hughes from k*v

Problem is that if a player is good enough to make the differance then the club would be unwilling to let these sort of players leave like we would with Hume, so cash is the answer bring in MM!

Forsell, Edwards and Gray are all either wingers or strikers, not central midfielders (apologies for not stating that was the criteria). Hughes from Cov and Chaplow both don't score many goals. Bryan Hughes, however is a very good suggestion. I made the same one a few weeks ago. Great eye for goal.

Archived