Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Time To Get Tough

For two and a half years now we've been a lower mid-table Championship club with one excuse: money. You'd have to be slightly young/naive/stupid to believe we are suddenly going to be rolling in wads of cash that will inevitably bankroll our glorious return to the Premiership in double quick time but the indications seem now to suggest that Mandaric will be installed next week and he will be looking to push through three or four transfers during the January window. What an opportunity. I think sometimes people forget that we've had no proper money to spend on transfer fees since Taylor, save for the likes of Fryatt and Hume being purchased with the Connolly money and a couple of small fees going out every now and then for the likes of Williams (parachute money), Hughes and McCarthy (rate him or not, a club captain purchased for £100,000 from a reserve team).

These are the sort of players that are the reason we are 18th in the Championship. People have been applauding the departures of Low, Sylla and O'Grady - and with good reason. These players have shown on a consistent basis they are not up to it. However, they haven't formed the backbone of an unquestionably average Championship team for two and a half years (actually, you could question that, you could say we've been poor - depends on your outlook).

This money will not automatically mean we are set for the top six either this season, next or the one after that. We can all see that from the experience of other clubs and we all know too well what effect the £23million Taylor was given had on the best team we've had since the 1970s. The money has to be spent wisely.

For me, it's pretty clear we haven't got enough pace in the team. Looking at the team that played against Fulham, you'd have to say Hume is the quickest followed probably by Porter, then Kisnorbo? After that it's embarrassing. This is the reason that Porter and Hume are seen as outlets, the rest of the side unimaginatively hoofing the ball in their general direction knowing they both have an exemplary first touch, often asking them to beat a defender or two on their own with no support and then no-one to find with the pass once they get themselves into a decent position. This is the reason Hammond had such a surprisingly effective run in the team - his pace means he is an outlet, regardless of his ability (Palace at home and Wolves away this season our one attacking tactic was to thump the ball in his general direction and hope that he did something with it, it was embarrassing).

It doesn't have to be like this any more. I'm glad people are finally realising what a duff player McCarthy is. I'm also glad McAuley has shown he is twice the player McCarthy is and I can't see McCarthy lasting long in the Mandaric era if Milan is serious about us reaching the Premiership. It's not going to happen with players like McCarthy, Williams and Hughes in the side. Not enough pace, not enough invention, not enough energy and as soon as the opposition get their act together (Sunderland, Southampton, second half Fulham performance), our lack of pace in particular means we have no get-out clause.

I'd be ecstatic if I never ever saw McCarthy tugging some forward's shirt needlessly in a dangerous position or Williams idling around the centre circle during the second half of yet another game we are rapidly losing our grip on.

These are the players we need to get rid of - you can say McCarthy's tried his best or that Williams has ability - you can say we haven't been able to afford better - you can say they just need the right players alongside them - but if this deal goes through and we have the chance to reshape the first team, we need players who have ability AND work ethic, not enough of one to appease fans who have forgotten they ever had any better.

For two and a half years now we've been a lower mid-table Championship club with one excuse: money. You'd have to be slightly young/naive/stupid to believe we are suddenly going to be rolling in wads of cash that will inevitably bankroll our glorious return to the Premiership in double quick time but the indications seem now to suggest that Mandaric will be installed next week and he will be looking to push through three or four transfers during the January window. What an opportunity. I think sometimes people forget that we've had no proper money to spend on transfer fees since Taylor, save for the likes of Fryatt and Hume being purchased with the Connolly money and a couple of small fees going out every now and then for the likes of Williams (parachute money), Hughes and McCarthy (rate him or not, a club captain purchased for £100,000 from a reserve team).

These are the sort of players that are the reason we are 18th in the Championship. People have been applauding the departures of Low, Sylla and O'Grady - and with good reason. These players have shown on a consistent basis they are not up to it. However, they haven't formed the backbone of an unquestionably average Championship team for two and a half years (actually, you could question that, you could say we've been poor - depends on your outlook).

This money will not automatically mean we are set for the top six either this season, next or the one after that. We can all see that from the experience of other clubs and we all know too well what effect the £23million Taylor was given had on the best team we've had since the 1970s. The money has to be spent wisely.

For me, it's pretty clear we haven't got enough pace in the team. Looking at the team that played against Fulham, you'd have to say Hume is the quickest followed probably by Porter, then Kisnorbo? After that it's embarrassing. This is the reason that Porter and Hume are seen as outlets, the rest of the side unimaginatively hoofing the ball in their general direction knowing they both have an exemplary first touch, often asking them to beat a defender or two on their own with no support and then no-one to find with the pass once they get themselves into a decent position. This is the reason Hammond had such a surprisingly effective run in the team - his pace means he is an outlet, regardless of his ability (Palace at home and Wolves away this season our one attacking tactic was to thump the ball in his general direction and hope that he did something with it, it was embarrassing).

It doesn't have to be like this any more. I'm glad people are finally realising what a duff player McCarthy is. I'm also glad McAuley has shown he is twice the player McCarthy is and I can't see McCarthy lasting long in the Mandaric era if Milan is serious about us reaching the Premiership. It's not going to happen with players like McCarthy, Williams and Hughes in the side. Not enough pace, not enough invention, not enough energy and as soon as the opposition get their act together (Sunderland, Southampton, second half Fulham performance), our lack of pace in particular means we have no get-out clause.

I'd be ecstatic if I never ever saw McCarthy tugging some forward's shirt needlessly in a dangerous position or Williams idling around the centre circle during the second half of yet another game we are rapidly losing our grip on.

These are the players we need to get rid of - you can say McCarthy's tried his best or that Williams has ability - you can say we haven't been able to afford better - you can say they just need the right players alongside them - but if this deal goes through and we have the chance to reshape the first team, we need players who have ability AND work ethic, not enough of one to appease fans who have forgotten they ever had any better.

Not at work today?

I thought we were getting tough??! We have punted out 3 players that most fans on here dont think are the types of players we should have in our team, we are trying to get a new owner to take us to the next level and our current squad, although not big, now houses some players that have a sell on value which is something that we havent had much of in recent years.

I thought we were getting tough??! We have punted out 3 players that most fans on here dont think are the types of players we should have in our team, we are trying to get a new owner to take us to the next level and our current squad, although not big, now houses some players that have a sell on value which is something that we havent had much of in recent years.

If that's enough for you then we might as well not have Mandaric at all.

My point is that we need to use this money to get rid of the weak links in the spine of our first team - two established players in the most important positions on the pitch - two of the first names on the teamsheet - who are never going to be part of a promotion team from this division IMO.

I thould really have pothted that in my acthual thpeaking voith at the moment.

Back to bed with thome Lemthip Macth Thrength - killth all known germth dead. Or ith that Domethtoth?

Wassup with ya.

You like whiskey dont you?

Have a hot toddy or sommat.

Get some brandy down ya neck!

If that's enough for you then we might as well not have Mandaric at all.

My point is that we need to use this money to get rid of the weak links in the spine of our first team - two established players in the most important positions on the pitch - two of the first names on the teamsheet - who are never going to be part of a promotion team from this division IMO.

You make it sound easy mate!

Our past managers have had there hands tied because of the fudge up that we made in getting relegated from the Premier and nearly going out of business. We have been on a diet of cheap players and free transfers ever since and to think that it is easy to throw cash about is madness.

Im sure that R Kelly knows what is required but his hands are firmly tied. We cant afford to buy finished articles at this stage or infact havent been able to for years. We have either tried reserve team players from elsewhere (Paddy Mac from Man City), Scottish rejects for pennies (Kisnorbo, Douglas, Sylla, Maybury) or other cheapies and free transfers like Kenton, Nissa, Cada), kids (Levi, Weso, Logan etc) and sandwiched inbetween are a couple of signings like Hume and Fryatt.

I think the extent of our problems are evident after yesterdays statement from Kelly though. Now we have sold COG he says that we MIGHT be in a position to now get someone in on loan. Thats after getting in minimal transfer fees and getting 3 players off the wage bill!

I am patientlty awaiting MM to step in and then see some action but I fear the worst if this deal somehow goes Anne Diamond shaped

I've got a cold and a sore throat. :cry::ph34r::D:D:D

Me too. :P

I think that was a great post Fez! I've always said McCarthy is a weak link in our defence and like you said, I forgave him because 'he's all we could afford'. On the subject of Williams, I don't know if he should be in the team in the 'new era', but I can see him being a useful player to come in if nothing is happening for us. He can split defences with his passing (if he feels like it :rolleyes: ).

The issue of pace is key, and, as you say, we clearly don't have enough of it.

Looking at the first team squad as a whole, there be about a dozen that I'd keep. I'd make a fw decent signings for the backbone of the team, and then use the youngsters, like King, as back ups:

Kisnorbo

Kenton

Hughes

Hume

Williams

Tiatto

Fryatt

McAuley

Stearman

Wesolowski

Cadamarteri

Logan

Porter

Whats your point? :ph34r::dunno:

Archived