Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hebangsthedrums

Southed Player Ratings

OK no thread yet so here goes:

Hendo - 7 - Excellent save in the first half from point blank range when a goal looked certain, also may have tipped Sodge' header onto the bar. I still shit myself when its passed back to him but kicking was generally ok today.

Maybury - 6 - Was marking their second most dangerous player and did OK, did not really get forward but was rarely caught out, a couple of stray passes but he is out of position so will elt them slide.

Stears - 6 - Opportunity missed for him I think unless Maybs injury is serious. Didn't really seem to get into it as he used to last season, perhaps a bit ring rusty. Again, didn't really get the ball much in atacking position but he did make the runs.

Paddy K - 7- Workmanlike, didn't really dominate as he has done some games but didn't let much get past him. Pehaps should have got a penalty in the second half from what looked like a blatant push with no attempt at all, BUT, unlike certain others shouted at offending player and ref whilst run back into position, DID NOT bitch for 5 minutes and get distracted

Garth M - 7 - Did OK as well, very good in the air as ever, might have done better for the goal as I think he slippe dover but could not see very well.

Hughes - 8 - MOTM - Best performance I have seen form Hughes, I dont know what they did to him before the game but he seemed well up for it today. Lots of running, plenty of aggression (not a word i thought i would ever use to describe hughes) a few mistakes but the effort was always there.

Levi - 6- Excellent cross for the goal, but disappeared completely in the second half. I feel for him as in a slugfest like this he just doesnt have the presence all the time - he can make up for it in spells with tenacity but shoulder to shoulder he often has no chance.

AJ - 5 - Did ok in first half but like all off our midfield except hughes disappeared in the second

JJ - 5 - as above

the problem with these two is I could not work out who was holding and who was attacking - if they were supposed to both being box to box then they were lazy.

Hume - 7 - well taken first goal and unlucky with a chance just before half time that his running earnt him. Second goal perhaps a biut lucky and did miss a couple of chances but he looked our most dangerous player

Horse - 4 - Wasn't really at the races today, couldn't put my finger on what went wrong but it seemed whenever we crossed high it was Hume who was competing for it and not him - could be his fault for being out of position, or maybe the others were not picking =their passes, either way ineffective

subs

Elvis - 7.5 - Made an impact at least. Caused a few problems, made a chance which hume put at the keeper and looked a bit more composed than normal.

Yeates - 4 - TBH i thought he was piss poor, didn't look up for a scrap which is what this game was and didn't really do anything except chasing round in thhat way a lot of strikers/wingers do (never really going to tackle anyone)

Cada - ? - One good run and thats about it, diodn't really have time or the opp. (being on the wing) to do anything of note.

Overall I had a good time, the support was first class and I had a good view. Southend were poor but we would have lost a game like this a few weeks ago, at least we know we can slug it. Their fans were pretty poor, didnt really sing except when they equalised although in their position a point is not really much use from a home game against a bottom half team. Final note - what a lovely pitch, sgin the groundsman

Hughes - 8 - MOTM - Best performance I have seen form Hughes, I dont know what they did to him before the game but he seemed well up for it today. Lots of running, plenty of aggression (not a word i thought i would ever use to describe hughes) a few mistakes but the effort was always there.

Is that a joke?No,Really?lol:o

Hendo 8

Maybury 7

McAuley 7

Kisnorbo 6

Stearman 6

Levi 7

Johnson 6

Jarret 7

Hughes 5

Hume 6

Horse 6

gotta say i pretty much agree with ya mate, but i do think hughes johnson and stearman should all have 4/5 all absolute shite today!

Hendo 8 - whoever says we need a keeper should go home now!!

maybury 5 - out of position, distribution poor

kisnorbo 7

mcAuley 7

Staerman 7 - thought he did well considering hes been out of the team and short of games lately

Levi 6- never really shone, dont think he should have been brought off though

Jarrett 7 - gets mixed opinions every week but I think hes doing well

Johnson 7 - certainly improved since coming back from injury

Hughes 6 - got stuck in well, would have started yeates on right though

Hume 7- very poor except his 2 goals and thats what strikers are there for

Horse 5 - Just very poor

subs

Elvis 7

Cadermateri 5 - nearly cost us another goal a the end!!

Yeates 5

AJ - 5 - Did ok in first half but like all off our midfield except hughes disappeared in the second

JJ - 5 - as above

the problem with these two is I could not work out who was holding and who was attacking - if they were supposed to both being box to box then they were lazy.

Thanks for that. But with these two, mostly you'd expect Johnson to sit deeper and JJ to run forward more. Mostly they work to disrupt play - against Sarfend that's not going to work as they don't really play through the middle and most balls are punted over them.

Henderson 8 (Excellent from what I could see apart from his distribution. His first half save from Eastwood and second half tipping over of a header were absolutely vital).

Stearman 7 (One vital clearance first half and was forever making selfless runs to try and support attacks. Looked as if he's getting some sharpness back)

McAuley 6 (Won everything in the air but has clearly been reading the Kisnorbo/Johnson book on distribution. None of our defenders coped with Eastwood)

Kisnorbo 6 (As above. I'm sick of making escuses for his passing and would prefer it if he never considered taking a free-kick of ours)

Maybury 5 (Drew the short straw in being unnecessarily moved and found it a painful experience as a result in more ways than one).

Hughes 6 (We don't need him on the right wing. He huffed and puffed but he made very little impression other than defensively. Creatively he was sterile and predictable).

Johnson 0 (I'd have given him a mark if I could remember a single time when he passed the ball to one of our players. I'm sure he did but I cannot recall it nor any other worthwhile contribution. You know that fairground test where you have to kick a ball through the holes in a 20 metres square panel. Well he'd have missed the panel never mind the holes the way his passes went.

Jarrett 0 (Did he play?. I don't think Porter saw him at all after twenty past three.)

Hume 9 (MoM performance for his two goals and all round contribution)

Horsfield 1 (For his point-blank header being on target. Appropriately named cos he should be put out to stud in a quiet meadow.)

Porter 6.5 (Another important assist and looked really bubbly first 20 minutes. totally starved thereafter and if I was Kelly I'd want to know why).

Subs: Hammond 6.5 (His assist for our second goal should have given us three points and he might well have scored too had Hume not fluffed a chance created by Hammond from 12 yards when the was running through at pace when seemingly better placed to score.

Yeates 2 (Played woefully out of position for no logical reason. One decent run and cross might have produced a goal. Otherwise as a footballing exhibition what he did was best viewed through dark glasses)

Cadamarteri 0 (What was the point in bringing him on? What purpose did it serve?)

Yeates 2 (Played woefully out of position for no logical reason. One decent run and cross might have produced a goal. Otherwise as a footballing exhibition what he did was best viewed through dark glasses)

According to Barber he prefers playing on the left.

???

Yep, I thought he gave us an outlet that we didn't really have in the second half before he came on. Had little support and still worried their defence, as well as making the second goal.

I'd reply to this but davieG would only delete the post or close the thread as a result...oh damn, I've gone and done it now. Sorry.

I'd reply to this but davieG would only delete the post or close the thread as a result...oh damn, I've gone and done it now. Sorry.

This new policy is just playing into our hands really. We could get match threads and the Listening To Now thread closed. :ermm:

Muhahahahahaha.

Moo.

Ha.

Hmm.

Henderson- 8, showed that he is a more than capable 'keeper at this level. It's been highlighted this weekend how important good 'keepers are (Van der Sar and Cech pulling off great saves to help their teams on to victories and clean sheets). I feel that Henderson was slightly let down by his full backs this afternoon who were beaten a little too easily at times. Some top notch saves.

Maybury- 5, right back playing left back. Tried it before and it doesn't work. Problem is there isn't really another option at left back with Johansson suspended. Johansson back in next weekend.

McAuley- 6, can't remember him doing anything spectacular or anything wrong. Solid.

Kisnorbo- 6, same as above.

Stearman- 7, impressed me having been out of the starting line-up for a fair while. One of his better games in what's been a poor season compared to last for him.

Porter- 6, not his best or most effective game by any stretch of the imagination but still dangerous when in possession. Like to see him get at his man more often though. He had acres of space down the left hand side at times but looked to offload the ball inside and not utilise the space

Johnson, 5, back to his old tricks. Ineffective and sluggish.

Jarrett- 5, seems to be Andy Johnson but with legs that still work properly. Too similar. Jarrett and a creative partner may be a a decent option next season. Jarrett and Johnson will create around three goals a season via assists. Not really his fault we have no creative midfielders to pull the strings for him.

Hughes- 6, put in a few decent challenges but a Hughes, Johnson, Jarrett trio across the middle of the park isn't going to see an abundance of chances created.

Horsfield- 5, not at the races today. One game too many for him I feel.

Hume- 7, for his brace and for getting in good positions but wasn't as busy as he normally is. Still, did what he gets paid to do and that's make the net bulge.

Sub (worthy of a mention)

Hammond- 6.5, clumsy he may be but Hammond brought a different style of play to our front-line when he came on. Wasn't pretty but ruffled a few feathers and was a useful alternative to the the big man which hadn't worked all game. Defenders hate playing against pace!

Hendo 8

Maybury 5

McAuley 6

Kisnorbo 6

Stearman 5

Levi 6

Johnson 3

Jarret 3

Hughes 5

Hume 7

Horse 3

Hammond 6

Yeates 3

Slightly harsh marking but I think everyone on here is a little generous..

Hendo 7 - couple of good saves didn't look like he was particularly at fault for either goal

The defence conceded two and looked a bit shaky against a pretty poor team, not their best day

Maybury 5 - out of position marking one their better players

McAuley 5

Kisnorbo 5

Stearman 5

Levi 6 - I thought he had a good first half and then faded - not sure why he was taken off I thought he was the best of a bad bunch in midfield.

Johnson 0 - did nothing

Jarret 0 - my first chance to watch him and didn't notice he was on the pitch until about 3.30

Hughes 2

Hume 7 - 2 goals, though I think he missed a great chance to seal the win

Horse 2 - how did he miss that header???

Hammond 6 - looked lively thought he was going to shoot when he set up Hume, a good cameo

Yeates 2 - shite

DC ??

Guest Gist

Henderson 7

Stearman 6

McAuley 7

Kisnorbo 7

Maybury 6

Hughes 5

Johnson 6

Jarret 5

Porter 6