Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigmanLee

Academy win again

Leicester City's under 18 side made it three wins on the bounce when they registered a 3-1 victory over Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

City's goals came from Joe Mattock, Billy McKay and Scott Lycett on the day - with the result leaving the Foxes three points clear at the top of the Premier League Academy Group B table.

Leicester have now got just five games remaining this season - against Bristol City, Reading, West Ham United, Norwich City and Millwall

Joe Mattock's goal was pure quality - 35yard f/k in to the top corner.

Good on the academy, serving up another win. I may just take up watching them when they play at home from now on seeing as I can no longer watch the first team. At least I'll go home happy, be allowed to stand all game and more than likely see a victory!!

It sounds like the academy side should be gracing the Walkers Stadium and the first team should be farmed out to Belvoir Drive.

At least then the 20000+ paying customers would have something to shout about.

At least you get a balanced team looking like they're really having a go.

But first teamers playing in the reserves? Nothing official has been said but I get the impression reserve football is considered beneath the dignity of first teamers.

How long that nonsense has been the case I don't know but to me some of our players should be glad of even a Conference team to play for cos they don't rate much higher.

At least you get a balanced team looking like they're really having a go.

But first teamers playing in the reserves? Nothing official has been said but I get the impression reserve football is considered beneath the dignity of first teamers.

How long that nonsense has been the case I don't know but to me some of our players should be glad of even a Conference team to play for cos they don't rate much higher.

Like Hammond for example?

Hammond has no problem playing in the Reserves and, unlike some others I could name, always gives of his best and plays well.

So, taking you at your word then:

Hammond plays well in the reserves

But, - Hammond is shit.

Opponents therefore must be shit (based upon fact that Hammond plays well and Hammond is shit)

Those around Hammond who also play well, could also therefore be shit (based upon the fact that they are playing as well as Hammond who is shit)

Which means that anyone promoted from the reserves as called for by certain people may in fact be as shit as Hammond.

Which conclusively proves that being good in the reserves is no guarantee that it means being good in the first team.

Remember, Hammond in reserves = good. Hammond in the Championship = not good (or shit if you prefer).

So, taking you at your word then:

Hammond plays well in the reserves

But, - Hammond is shit.

Opponents therefore must be shit (based upon fact that Hammond plays well and Hammond is shit)

Those around Hammond who also play well, could also therefore be shit (based upon the fact that they are playing as well as Hammond who is shit)

Which means that anyone promoted from the reserves as called for by certain people may in fact be as shit as Hammond.

Which conclusively proves that being good in the reserves is no guarantee that it means being good in the first team.

Remember, Hammond in reserves = good. Hammond in the Championship = not good (or shit if you prefer).

Seeing as we disagree about the fundamental value of Hammond as a first team player for a start, then the above seems like a pointless discussion seeing its based on something I don't agree with in the first place.

However, as to your conclusion, however doubtfully it was arrived at, I've never said or implied that being good in the reserves equals a guarantee of being good in the first team so why you wish to give that impression I have no idea.

Being good at Leicester City is a relative term anyway. A player justifying promotion to the first team does not necessarily have to be "good" but simply better than the present incumbent as I have said many times.

That I believe Hammond to be a valuable player for Leicester City's current side has nothing to do with whether I think he's good.

I doubt that I would have signed him because I find it hard to imagine I would sign any striker unless he had form which showed him capable of 18 goals plus a season. It simply wouldn't be my approach.

But we have signed him and all that matters in deciding whether he should be in the first team is whether he's better than Hume, Fryatt or Horsfield.

Hume's 12 goals speak for themselves and, while City fans might be blind to the failings of Hammond (factual and perceived) he is not fully fit and shouldn't even come under consideration for a starting place this week.

And as for Hammond being better than Horsfield not only do the facts suggest it pretty plainly but Horsfield's contribution is so poor that I reckon Billy McKay would do better never mind Elvis.

Despite your obvious disagreement, Hammond, to my mind, remains a fast, strong, awkward, dangerous player who unsettles almost ever defence he comes up against.

Even using just the players currently signed, Leicester should be regularly scoring two or more goals a game, with Hammond playing an important role.

That they don't really is a condemnation of the tactics and the team selections.

Archived