Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertboy

1996 versus crystal palace

Just to cheeer myself up I dug out the vid of the palace v city wembley play off final 1996. Watched it all and now im in total despair. that day we completly outdid palace, played some great footie and at one time had something like 70% of the play !!! We had Parker spraying it around, Lennon up and down the pitch and a very young Heskey partnering Stevie Claridge. Walshie took out Hopkins and then jabbed one of their forwards in the head !! Some really good players then and what I want to know is would any of the present lot get into that team ???

line up was

Poole

Grayson

Walsh

Watts

Whitlow

Izzet

Parker

Lennon

Taylor

Claridge

Heskey

Did scott taylor pack up due to injury ?? Not so sure watts was a good enough player but he did ok that day.

Just to cheeer myself up I dug out the vid of the palace v city wembley play off final 1996. Watched it all and now im in total despair. that day we completly outdid palace, played some great footie and at one time had something like 70% of the play !!! We had Parker spraying it around, Lennon up and down the pitch and a very young Heskey partnering Stevie Claridge. Walshie took out Hopkins and then jabbed one of their forwards in the head !! Some really good players then and what I want to know is would any of the present lot get into that team ???

line up was

Poole

Grayson

Walsh

Watts

Whitlow

Izzet

Parker

Lennon

Taylor

Claridge

Heskey

Did scott taylor pack up due to injury ?? Not so sure watts was a good enough player but he did ok that day.

You'd never believe it but Garry Parker is now labouring for a local builder near Oxford.

You'd never believe it but Garry Parker is now labouring for a local builder near Oxford.

i would he lives there, plays for a team round there seen him play against my local team, stamina has totally gone. :blink:

i would he lives there, plays for a team round there seen him play against my local team, stamina has totally gone. :blink:

Kidlington Old Boys in the Oxfordshire Senior League. What is your local side Foxlad?

You are right we are shit the table doesnt lie ! I admit we are shit ! but if you cut nostalgia you close the door on our past which is checkered with failure and success but it is our history.

Back in 1996 we were good.... now as you rightly state we are shit.

I also have the game on tape and have been known to sit through that game from time to time. We played some superb football, although we didn't have that many stars - player for player, some of today's team would hold their own.

The defences then and now are probably comparable - we lack a Walshy (I remember that tackle by the touchline in that game, what a cruncher!) but I think McAuley/Kisnorbo as a pair are at least as good as Walshy/Watts. From memory I think Julian Watts had a good spell, but was pretty limited in ability (that may even have been his last game). Not Premier standard anyway. I was never particularly keen on Grayson although he did give 100% (plus got that goal in the League Cup semi v Wimbledon) and Whitlow was feisty but a bit on the slow side. Decent enough but neither of them brilliant.

I wouldn't say a young Heskey and old Claridge combination is necessarily better than, say, the Hume/Fryatt partnership in the form they were at the end of last season.

I think it's the midfield that tells the story - Izzet, Parker, Lennon, Taylor must be one of the best combinations we've had playing together. The Hughes/Jarret combination with the likes of Johnson, Low, Yeates etc must rank as the worst. When Stephen Hughes manages to be almost a permanent fixture despite putting in some of the most ineffective performances I've seen in a City shirt , there is something wrong.

Oh, and the manager of course....

I also have the game on tape and have been known to sit through that game from time to time. We played some superb football, although we didn't have that many stars - player for player, some of today's team would hold their own.

The defences then and now are probably comparable - we lack a Walshy (I remember that tackle by the touchline in that game, what a cruncher!) but I think McAuley/Kisnorbo as a pair are at least as good as Walshy/Watts. From memory I think Julian Watts had a good spell, but was pretty limited in ability (that may even have been his last game). Not Premier standard anyway. I was never particularly keen on Grayson although he did give 100% (plus got that goal in the League Cup semi v Wimbledon) and Whitlow was feisty but a bit on the slow side. Decent enough but neither of them brilliant.

I wouldn't say a young Heskey and old Claridge combination is necessarily better than, say, the Hume/Fryatt partnership in the form they were at the end of last season.

I think it's the midfield that tells the story - Izzet, Parker, Lennon, Taylor must be one of the best combinations we've had playing together. The Hughes/Jarret combination with the likes of Johnson, Low, Yeates etc must rank as the worst. When Stephen Hughes manages to be almost a permanent fixture despite putting in some of the most ineffective performances I've seen in a City shirt , there is something wrong.

Oh, and the manager of course....

The only one of our current squad who would get near that side is Kisnorbo

Watts played quite a few games after that including the home game against Athletico Madrid!

Archived