Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Fans are tipping the balance

There is much debate about Nigel Worthington's merits as a manager following our life-saving 1-0 win at Preston.

I've discusssed the things I've seen as benefits since his arival but if I had to point to one thing that has swung the balance for City it would, quite seriously, have to be the fans.

The intensity of their support from the start of the second half against Birmingham and throughout yesterday's match was a revelation.

And the degreee to which it lifted the spirits of our team was visible.

I was embarrassed by the nievity of our first 25 minutes against Birmingham but suddenly, second half, there were no frail hearts and it coincided not just with Worthington's presumably focusing team talk but with the defiant attitude of the fans in deciding they were going to sing their throats to hoarseness whatever.

Phsychologically the effect on the players was inspiring and the more so because they probably expected the judging silence or cryptic ridicule.

Instead they got unconditional support and their confidence soared and stayed uplifted throughout the trip to Preston.

It is vital we maintain the momentum. Anyone doubting that fans are worth points should have been there against Birmingham when we won the second half and at Preston when we won the match. To me it was Willpower 1 Opposition 0 on both occasions.

I dont give a monkeys what size the fans are, as long as they all sing!

As a response to the original topic, yes we have seen some superb efforts from the fans both voally and numbers wise and Barnsley seem sto be going the same way BUT lets not take anything away from Wortho here. The same fans (I was one of them) was there pre-match at Brun and during the first half. It was more Worthos words that saw an increased effort and that usually turns up the volume too. It was Wortho who has picked the team and got a decent balance that has seen us win at Preston and look hungrier even in defeat so whilst the fans have at times been brilliant and deafening at times (which we should be all the time and not need an excuse may I add), its Worthington that deserves the pats on the back ahead of us patting ourselves on the back.

We have to apply the same uncompromising pressure at Barnsley.

As a response to the original topic, yes we have seen some superb efforts from the fans both vocally and numbers wise and Barnsley seems to be going the same way BUT lets not take anything away from Wortho here. The same fans (I was one of them) was there pre-match at Brum and during the first half. It was more Worthos words that saw an increased effort and that usually turns up the volume too. It was Wortho who has picked the team and got a decent balance that has seen us win at Preston and look hungrier even in defeat so whilst the fans have at times been brilliant and deafening at times (which we should be all the time and not need an excuse may I add), its Worthington that deserves the pats on the back ahead of us patting ourselves on the back for doing the things that passionate fans should be doing anyway.

I just want to give a big shout out to all the Leicester fans who so fiercely supported the team on Saturday. I've been away over the weekend so haven't had a chance to laud you all with praise!

Needless to say I'm gutted I couldn't make it but by all accounts this was up there with Fulham away in terms of voracity of support and passion for the shirt.

And there's no doubt in my mind that Thracian is right about the difference that makes - we won that game as a club: fans, players, manager, chairman, everyone.

:appl::worship:

As a response to the original topic, yes we have seen some superb efforts from the fans both vocally and numbers wise and Barnsley seems to be going the same way BUT lets not take anything away from Wortho here. The same fans (I was one of them) was there pre-match at Brum and during the first half. It was more Worthos words that saw an increased effort and that usually turns up the volume too. It was Wortho who has picked the team and got a decent balance that has seen us win at Preston and look hungrier even in defeat so whilst the fans have at times been brilliant and deafening at times (which we should be all the time and not need an excuse may I add), its Worthington that deserves the pats on the back ahead of us patting ourselves on the back for doing the things that passionate fans should be doing anyway.

I think the 'revival' at the Brum game was a direct consequence of the the fans in the KOP starting the Great Escape song and getting the whole stand going. There was still very little improvement on the pitch until then.

I think the 'revival' at the Brum game was a direct consequence of the the fans in the KOP starting the Great Escape song and getting the whole stand going. There was still very little improvement on the pitch until then.

I think we gave the players the opportunity to do what Wortho said without fear of reprisal.

I don't believe that it was one thing or the other...it was a synergy of all three parts.

I think we gave the players the opportunity to do what Wortho said without fear of reprisal.

I don't believe that it was one thing or the other...it was a synergy of all three parts.

Synergy... mmmm nice word.

Well it wasn't very evident from the players or management from the 90 minutes of football prior to that.

Please note: I'm note anti Worthington or pro for that matter but I think it's far to early to judge his impact on the teams performance.

As I said, I was there too but patting ourselves on the back for something that fans should be doing every game is IMO not justified. Of course we have been amazingly loud at times but it shouldnt take us being on the brink of relegation to really starting to open our mouths.

Lets look at MM. He wants us to be as loud and voiceferous as we can. Why? Because as backward a people as Portsmouth fans are, they are usually quite loud at home and create a great atmosphere at the stadium and he wants that at the Walkers as he understands the importance of creating noise, especially at home.

Before we start patting ourselves on the back and almost getting the plaudits for us scraping away from the relegation zone, I think we need a reality check and should look at being as loud and almost fanatical as we have been over the last couple of games. If West Ham and Liverpool fans can do it, so can we.

Well it wasn't very evident from the players or management from the 90 minutes of football prior to that.

Please note: I'm note anti Worthington or pro for that matter but I think it's far to early to judge his impact on the teams performance.

Taking your last point first - I agree...but you have to admit that (so far) it looks OK.

Let's be realistic, all of us and the players lacked belief that anything could be done. Wortho fired them up - they went out and scored but then went through a second half of self-doubt and we got on their backs.

Wortho fired them up again for Brum...but we were on their backs almost from the off. He fired them up again at half time, they took the field once more...but this time they met a crowd that seemed to be positive - a crowd that also fed them belief.

At this point we all knew what could be done, how it could be done. Thracian said it was a time for unreserved support and he was right.

Yes, Wortho has not done this on his own...but what manager could have instilled belief in this motley bunch of losers without the support of the fans?

Like you, I am neither pro or anti...but I do wonder what could happen next season if he were allowed to continue because what I am currently witnessing works at a fundamental level.

BTW to add to my previous point, I dont want Wortho as our next full-time manager! My comment was just about what we should be doing week in week out as fans in the stands and secondly, to give credit to a bloke who has come here with huge pressure to keep us up getting the credit of deserved and the whole confidence of our players and style of performance at times over three games should warrant him being patted on the back.

I just want to give a big shout out to all the Leicester fans who so fiercely supported the team on Saturday. I've been away over the weekend so haven't had a chance to laud you all with praise!

Needless to say I'm gutted I couldn't make it but by all accounts this was up there with Fulham away in terms of voracity of support and passion for the shirt.

And there's no doubt in my mind that Thracian is right about the difference that makes - we won that game as a club: fans, players, manager, chairman, everyone.

:appl::worship:

This isn't Dance Anthems you know :rolleyes:

As I said, I was there too but patting ourselves on the back for something that fans should be doing every game is IMO not justified. Of course we have been amazingly loud at times but it shouldnt take us being on the brink of relegation to really starting to open our mouths.

Lets look at MM. He wants us to be as loud and voiceferous as we can. Why? Because as backward a people as Portsmouth fans are, they are usually quite loud at home and create a great atmosphere at the stadium and he wants that at the Walkers as he understands the importance of creating noise, especially at home.

Before we start patting ourselves on the back and almost getting the plaudits for us scraping away from the relegation zone, I think we need a reality check and should look at being as loud and almost fanatical as we have been over the last couple of games. If West Ham and Liverpool fans can do it, so can we.

Err I never mentioned any pats on the back I was just pointing out, that as I saw it the resurgence of the team was more down to the crowd than NW.

That wasn't a criticism of NW either.

Taking your last point first - I agree...but you have to admit that (so far) it looks OK.

Let's be realistic, all of us and the players lacked belief that anything could be done. Wortho fired them up - they went out and scored but then went through a second half of self-doubt and we got on their backs.

Wortho fired them up again for Brum...but we were on their backs almost from the off. He fired them up again at half time, they took the field once more...but this time they met a crowd that seemed to be positive - a crowd that also fed them belief.

At this point we all knew what could be done, how it could be done. Thracian said it was a time for unreserved support and he was right.

Yes, Wortho has not done this on his own...but what manager could have instilled belief in this motley bunch of losers without the support of the fans?

Like you, I am neither pro or anti...but I do wonder what could happen next season if he were allowed to continue because what I am currently witnessing works at a fundamental level.

I don't disagree with the bulk of that but I would certainly dispute that the team were fired up for Birmingham.

My concern is that judgement on NW is clouded by the impact on the player's belief brought about by the support from the crowd.

I doubt also that the crowd's sudden resurrection had much to do with their belief that NW was 'the man' to take LCFC forward especially after that first half performance against Brum.

At that point I was ready to walk out of LCFC and never come back. I firmly believe that the crowd's resurrection was born purely on the reality of relegation and the fear/hate of going down to the 3rd Division for the first time ever.

At that point I was ready to walk out of LCFC and never come back. I firmly believe that the crowd's resurrection was born purely on the reality of relegation and the fear/hate of going down to the 3rd Division for the first time ever.

Yup - but it's working ain't it?!

Yup - but it's working ain't it?!

Well something is because since that second half I've bought tickets for Preston and Barnsley, when I reflect on that it's the fans rather than the performances on the pitch that have motivated me.

Err I never mentioned any pats on the back I was just pointing out, that as I saw it the resurgence of the team was more down to the crowd than NW.

That wasn't a criticism of NW either.

If you are saying that then mate are you blaming us (the fans) for when we were shite under RK or was that his fault??!! The fans can help but its mostly down to the players and the manager along with his coaching staff. We cant start saying it was down to us when we win and someone elses fault when we dont.

If you are saying that then mate are you blaming us (the fans) for when we were shite under RK or was that his fault??!! The fans can help but its mostly down to the players and the manager along with his coaching staff. We cant start saying it was down to us when we win and someone elses fault when we dont.

No I'm not blaming the fans, I'm just making an observation, my general view is that the fans deserve to see some potency on the pitch and then they will provide the support.

As I previously stated I believe the fans, in this instance, after that appalling half of football had reached the end of their tether and the reality of relegation to the 3rd division for the first time in our history had struck home and firghtened the life out of them. Out of sheer desperation they spontaneously combusted with rendition of The Great Escape. The rest they say is history, barring a monumental fook up in the last two games.

No I'm not blaming the fans, I'm just making an observation, my general view is that the fans deserve to see some potency on the pitch and then they will provide the support.

As I previously stated I believe the fans, in this instance, after that appalling half of football had reached the end of their tether and the reality of relegation to the 3rd division for the first time in our history had struck home and firghtened the life out of them. Out of sheer desperation they spontaneously combusted with rendition of The Great Escape. The rest they say is history, barring a monumental fook up in the last two games.

We`ll agree to disagree on this one fella as despite us being really vocal at Birmingham, I struggle to get my head around saying that it was down to the fans for our improved performance. I tend to give more credit to those coaching and managing the players at the time.

We`ll agree to disagree on this one fella as despite us being really vocal at Birmingham, I struggle to get my head around saying that it was down to the fans for our improved performance. I tend to give more credit to those coaching and managing the players at the time.

If the fans hadn't of got behind the team against Birmingham, there was no way we would have played like that in the second half. It was a good 10-15 mins of non-stop singing before the players started to play better and you could tell that the fans had a massive bearing on this. It gave the players a lift and the confidence to really have a go at them. Worthington will have been re-iterating the fact we need to go out and take it to teams and play without fear but it's sometimes very hard to get through to players. I remember Wolves at home a few seasons ago when we were utter dog mess and somehow it was still 0-0, the fans got to their feet and for twenty minutes it was a wall of noise and the players responded. Us fans almost scored the goal ourselves.

It's an argument that people can fight for either way, but given how crap our players are and how they often only play better on the big occasions. It doesn't surprise me that they finally pull their fingers out when their ego's are stroked by the fans singing and full support.

If the fans hadn't of got behind the team against Birmingham, there was no way we would have played like that in the second half. It was a good 10-15 mins of non-stop singing before the players started to play better and you could tell that the fans had a massive bearing on this. It gave the players a lift and the confidence to really have a go at them. Worthington will have been re-iterating the fact we need to go out and take it to teams and play without fear but it's sometimes very hard to get through to players. I remember Wolves at home a few seasons ago when we were utter dog mess and somehow it was still 0-0, the fans got to their feet and for twenty minutes it was a wall of noise and the players responded. Us fans almost scored the goal ourselves.

It's an argument that people can fight for either way, but given how crap our players are and how they often only play better on the big occasions. It doesn't surprise me that they finally pull their fingers out when their ego's are stroked by the fans singing and full support.

Well I'm glad someone else got that impression because I was beginning to feel lonely :( . Stuck in the middle of the KOP within spitting distance of the outbreak of noise and seeing the transformation on the pitch taking place as it built to a crescendo I can come to no other conclusion.

Fan Power in this instance was our savour. :thumbup:

As Ive said, I was at the game too and yes, we were bloody boisy and it was like the old days. I have only seen about 10-12 games this season and it was the loudest it has been and at times I have been so dissapointed at the lack of efforts from our fans that Ive left thinking that some dont care (although they obviously do but cant be bothered). The thing is though we got no points at Birmingham! I wasnt at Preston but I heared we were noisy there too and thats fantastic but our win there was down to wortho and the players with a little help from the fans.

Well you guys could run and run with this one.

But you cannot argue that the fans helped against Birmingham. Of course Wortho helped with his better tactics etc..., but the crowd gave a team full of players with zero confidence, the confidence to attack the second best team in the league and almost get a point. We drived them on. And thats what we need more regularly.

As Ive said, I was at the game too and yes, we were bloody boisy and it was like the old days. I have only seen about 10-12 games this season and it was the loudest it has been and at times I have been so dissapointed at the lack of efforts from our fans that Ive left thinking that some dont care (although they obviously do but cant be bothered). The thing is though we got no points at Birmingham! I wasnt at Preston but I heared we were noisy there too and thats fantastic but our win there was down to wortho and the players with a little help from the fans.

We wonn the second half against Birmignham - the half when the fans got started - 1-0. It just wasn't enough but boy did it have some impact.

They started from the off against Preston and I'm sure they'll be going at it the same against Barnsley.

Archived